Tale of Tales
Based in Ghent, Belgium
4 February, 2010
DescriptionSometimes, when you're depressed, it's good to see something depressing. A contemplation of the fleetingness of life. To help appreciate what you have. A meditative experience. A spiritual toy. A reminder of the preciousness of life.
HistoryWe were commissioned, along with devlopers Eric Zimmerman and Jason Rohrer, to create a game for an exhibition held during the Art History of Games conference at the High Museum of Art. In addition to presenting during the conference we took part in an exhibition held at the Kai Lin Art gallery in Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Beautiful, tactile realtime 3D graphics.
- Win a gold star each time you get three identical objects.
- Surprising musical punctuation by renowned avant cellist Zoe Keating.
- 24 Quotes on the topics of life and vanity from The Bible and from famous authors such as Rimbaud, Nietzsche, Sappho and Kundera.
- Random combinations can generate over 40,000 different dynamic interactive pictures, each capable of inspiring contemplation.
Awards & Recognition
- "Art History of Games" High Museum of Art, Atlanta, Georia, July, 2010
- "FILE electronic language international festival" Sao Paolo, Brazil, July, 2010
- "Vanitas brings the idea of personal treasure and meaningful objects to the often cold world of mobile apps where utility and function are typically more important than emotion or private sanctity."
- Jonah Brucker-Cohen, Rhizome
- "The Art History... Of Games? Games As Art May Be A Lost Cause (Coverage of the conference.)"
- Charles J. Pratt, Gamasutra
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
About Tale of Tales
Tale of Tales is a wife and husband team of artists working out of their home in Ghent, Belgium. They have released 8 videogames in the past 12 years: The Endless Forest, The Graveyard, The Path, Fatale:Exploring Salomé, Vanitas, Bientôt l'été, Luxuria Superbia and Sunset. Tale of Tale's games are known for their unique style and unusual gameplay ideas which have had an impact on Indie Games history and their players. Auriea Harvey and Michaël Samyn have devoted their lives to the exploration of computer technology as an artistic medium. They are currently working on Cathedral-in-the-Clouds, a VR and cross media project, an attempt to offer spiritual contemplation to the digital age, inspired by Old Master art and Christian mythology.
More information on Tale of Tales, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Designer, Director, 3d artist
Designer, Director, Programmer