News:

New forum theme! what do you think? Let us know in the General Discussion forum!

Poll

What kind of stuff does this game needs?

First person view
4 (23.5%)
Better camera angles
4 (23.5%)
bird transformation for flight and new camera angles
3 (17.6%)
rock, paper, scissor minigame
1 (5.9%)
All of the above
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 20, 2015, 07:28:19 pm

Author Topic: This game needs some new stuff.  (Read 2821 times)

• No avatar
March 20, 2014, 07:28:19 pm
Lets see how the poll is rated over time, shall we?

If the developers of this fine game sees this then I would be humbled. If the developers acknowledge my input and incorporates this into the game then I would be privileged and happy to help. :D

Hmm... actually, I would like to share my ideas for the rock paper scissor game if no one minds.

Okay, so I hear that there will eventually be doe that you have to compete for in a mating season and stuff, so maybe a rock paper scissor can decide the winner?

But to determine a winner, there should be a unique system in place. I think that having a 'stamina' system would be good. 'stamina' is what makes you last in a duel between you and your opponent, and if you run out of stamina, you lose. And if your challenger runs out of stamina, you win. It may be possible for both duelists to run out of stamina and draw. At every start of a duel, both duelists have 5 points of stamina.

So this is how duels, in my opinionated mind, is supposed to go. You use the 'taunt' emote to provoke a potential challenger to duel with you, or they could taunt you. Oh wait, how about a special action that appears when you are close enough to another player? Yeah, that sounds better.

When you duel with another player/stag, your victory is determined by the actions you choose in each move you make. Each action you and your opponent choose will make unique animations in each move, until a win/loss/draw is formed.

In the spirit of the game Rock Paper Scissors, one could have 4 potential actions to use against a challenger.
Rock (Or 'Boulder Charge' or some type of deer euphemism) trumps scissors.
Scissors (Or 'Grass Cutter', after my favorite comic book, Usagi Yojimbo) trumps paper.
And paper ('Tree splitter') trumps rock.
When a stag uses a favorable action in a move, the opponent loses 2 stamina points.
But when both stags use the same action in a move, they both lose 1 stamina point.

Oh wait, did I mention a fourth action?
Um...
... I guess it could be a defense action of sorts? Yeah. Choosing the defense action can negate the rock paper scissor actions and can deal 1 point of stamina damage to the attacker that chose rock, paper, or scissor. Like a super counter ability! Except for when both stags use the defense action, then there would be no stamina loss between them.
But this might be a little exploited so... Maybe the defense action is limited to 5 uses per duel, and using any other action in a move can restore 1 use of the defense action to a maximum of 8 uses? Yeah, sounds about right. (We can call it 'Antler defense' or 'Horn guard' or something cliched to deer)

I would also like a message to appear which tells the condition of each move in a duel too. Like say:
STRONG MOVE: Used a favorable combat action that decreases your opponent's stamina.
WEAK MOVE: Used an action that made you lose stamina point/s, or you and your opponent used the defense action too.

And tell the end conditions when the duel is over:
VICTORY: You won against your opponent.
DEFEAT: You lost against your opponent.
FLAWLESS VICTORY: You beaten your opponent in 3 moves.
BAFFLING DEFEAT: You have been beaten in 3 moves.
DRAW: Both you and your opponent lost all of your stamina in the final move.
TECHNICAL VICTORY: When you have selected an action but your opponent hasn't in the span of 60 seconds, or when he has chosen to surrendered.
TECHNICAL DEFEAT: When you haven't chosen an action in 60 seconds when your opponent has, or when you chose to surrender.
TECHNICAL DRAW: When you and your opponent hasn't chosen an action within 60 seconds.
EPIC VICTORY: When you won a duel that has lasted 8 moves or more.
EPIC DEFEAT: When you lasted 8 moves or more in a duel, but lost.
EPIC DRAW: When you and your opponent ran out of stamina after 8 moves or more.

But how would one tell how many wins and losses you or other stags/players have gained? Perhaps there can be a statistics in the option's menu to view your overall victories and defeats in specific detail, like how many draws, epic victories, humiliating defeats (ect) you gained, I suppose. And you could view a stags/players total win/lost count by clicking on his pictograph/halo to bring up those numbers. That could be a cool feature.

So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:33:03 am by RoyalStarlord »

March 23, 2014, 03:34:16 am
In the spirit of the game, there is no competition. Therefore I would have to reject the following:

*Mini games

*statistics

-

There will not be a doe in this game as a playable character as far as I am aware. Where'd you happen to hear that?
You can, however, choose to play as a 'female' character by wearing antlers that are considered feminine. There are many to choose from and I would be glad to list them should you request it.

First-person view would be neat, though.
You can alter your camera angle using the "ctrl+f" function, your right mouse key and your scroll mechanism (or touchpad if you do not have a normal mouse).

You can transform into a bird and fly around using an animal spell gained from a mushroom circle.

Welcome to TEF. This game probably won't be like any you've ever played before. I hope you grow to like it.

• No avatar
March 23, 2014, 06:47:27 am
To answer your question: http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/

And as for your reply to my idea, I respect it, but now I'm kinda put off by it. .... Oh well. '~'

I guess I'll go back to watching more Wander over Yonder for no explainable reasons. :3

March 23, 2014, 08:41:53 am
Here's the quote about the doe:
Why is the deer a stag and not a doe?
Several reasons. One is that we like the look of antlers. And female deer don't have those. Another and more important reason is motivated by our insistance on our position as authors. We choose a male character because it fits the story that we want to tell (Nobody questions the author of a novel about the gender of their protagonist!...). Also, we feel that if we were to give you the choice of playing a stag or a doe, your experience would become about your gender. The Endless Forest is not about being male or female, but about (role)playing a deer. You are a male deer, not a human in a deer skin.
But don't worry: later on there will be many opportunities to make your avatar appear more feminine if you like. He may be male but he doesn't have to be a macho (if it is even possible for an animal to be a macho...).
Also I know back in the day there was an idea on the ToT TEF site about having a Doe NPC that would function as your mother, you grow up, then find a doe to woo (that's not your mum lol) and the life cycle continues. But I for the life of me can't find it :I Found it:
Every player starts the game as a young male deer. An older female (your mother) will guide you through the beginning of the game. As you keep playing, you will grow and your antlers will take on a unique shape.
There will be magical spells to acquire in the forest. A peculiarity of these is that you cannot cast them on yourself. Only on other deer. These spells can make the game a lot more interesting, so it will be important to find someone who can cast them on you.
Your deer avatar will live for a full year. If you want to continue playing with all the abilities you've gathered, you will need to procreate. There are plenty of attractive hinds in the forest. Perhaps you can persuade them. But better make sure you chase away your competitors with those awesome antlers of yours.
http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/plans.html It's semi interesting (but remember it's a really really really old idea) that fighting would have been supported/considered. While presently the game tries to support a peaceful atmosphere.

And I have to agree with Apoidea, TEF isn't supposed to be like your average MMORPG. Putting in something PVP related like that rock paper scissors would really not fit in.

You can "unofficially" first person view...but M and A don't like us doing it because it involves prodding around the game files.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 08:45:41 am by Raz »

March 23, 2014, 01:13:55 pm
Ah. That Doe idea was scrapped a long long time ago as far as I am aware. I believe the "opportunities to make your deer appear more feminine" are the set pieces such as feminine antlers, like I mentioned.

Thank you for your reply too, Raz. :)

As you've seen on the community, Royal, there is some deviation from the original genderless idea, but we still very much enjoy the peace aspect of the game. This is what makes it a unique art piece, and we generally will defend that. I do have a blog for you to take a peek at, if you would like to read, that further explains the community-style workings of our game as well as some in-game reminders. It's old, but still has root in how we play today.
http://endlessforest.org/community/node/63566

I apologize if my reply seemed offputting. It was meant not to drive you away, but to explain why the idea may not work for the forest. Like Raz said, this game is not like your normal MMO. I really hope you can still enjoy something without an end goal or PVP oriented game play. We have created our own little world, and do hope you'll stay and add to the story.

• No avatar
March 24, 2014, 04:10:41 am
Aw, thank you so much Apoidea. I'd give you all a hug if it wasn't for the internet.
So... internet hug?
Yeah. Internet hug.
http://media2.giphy.com/media/NhjPhBQIIxdxm/giphy.gif

But don't worry, I'll enjoy the game as is. Though I am a little curious on how the game will develop in the future. After all, this game IS an ongoing project.