News:

New forum theme! what do you think? Let us know in the General Discussion forum!

Author Topic: Screen Saver Error Windows 7 64-bit  (Read 4570 times)

August 08, 2013, 10:06:37 am
I've been searching for a while now for a solution to the screen saver error in Windows 7 64-bit and the only things I could find were some unanswered posts from the old forum:
2010: http://tale-of-tales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8715
2013: http://tale-of-tales.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10963 (Win8, but still relevant)

The errors state:
There was an error loading the q3d file: C:\Program Files\Tale of Tales\The Endless Forest 3\Q3DStart.q3d
There was an error starting the Quest3D Screen Saver Viewer. Please Re-install Screen Saver

This is obviously because the install in not in C:\Program Files\... (where the readme states the install needs to be in order for the screen saver to work) but rather it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\... because that is where it installs on Windows 7 64-bit operating systems by default.

There is no option to install to an alternate folder within the installer (I am currently using the 3.41 installer) and I am not aware of a way to bypass the install directory default. Without being able to install to the Program Files folder, 64-bit users will not be able to use the screen saver and only the game.

Is there any hope for 64-bit users? Would it be possible to get an installer with which I can choose the install directory?

Edit:
I copied the install folder from Program Files (x86) to Program Files. If you delete the (x86) install, it will not run properly. Having it in both seems to work fine. Why wasn't there a solution to this before?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 10:54:06 am by JiGZ »

November 02, 2013, 12:07:29 pm
I had the same problem and I tried what you said you tried. I copied the endless forest folder in Program Files (x86) and pasted it in Program Files and I really haven't had a problem with the application or the screensaver since I did that.

• No avatar
January 19, 2014, 08:08:28 am
I had the same problem and I tried what you said you tried. I copied the endless forest folder in Program Files (x86) and pasted it in Program Files and I really haven't had a problem with the application or the screensaver since I did that.

I tried the same but to no luck.
"Courage doesn't always roar."    steve barbarich