News:

New forum theme! what do you think? Let us know in the General Discussion forum!

Author Topic: Ideas for TEF  (Read 8420 times)

July 09, 2014, 04:10:31 pm
So, I have some nice ideas for TEF. And here they are!

• Patches of dandelions you can run through. Ever ran through a patch of dandelions and been surrounded by floating white fluffy things? That is what should happen in the game.
  • (give credit to firechick44 for this one!) firechick44 says that when MichaŽl and Aureia make it rain, little puddles should appear and you can splash in them.
  • Finally, a big, twisty tree that you can climb up and jump from! Sorta like the Playground. Maybe if it's put in the game, the tree should be by the Playground.
Let me know what you think!

August 05, 2014, 06:10:38 am
Great ideas here ^^^

• No avatar
August 16, 2014, 01:21:57 pm
I know there are fawns, and adults, but honestly, I think there should be a medium sized deer, that way I wouldn't feel so much like a male. Male deer tend to be bigger then females, and well, adolescent deer are smaller, but not really the size of fawns. Wouldn't it be better to have a medium sized deer so us girls can feel more like girls? Unless I read wrong, the game isn't based off of gender right?, but if you think about it, it's based on being male in my opinion simply because all you have is a male deer model and nothing to really show any feminism. Males males everywhere. :P

August 17, 2014, 01:27:03 am
Quote the FAQ about that:

Why is the deer a stag and not a doe?
Several reasons. One is that we like the look of antlers. And female deer don't have those. Another and more important reason is motivated by our insistance on our position as authors. We choose a male character because it fits the story that we want to tell (Nobody questions the author of a novel about the gender of their protagonist!...). Also, we feel that if we were to give you the choice of playing a stag or a doe, your experience would become about your gender. The Endless Forest is not about being male or female, but about (role)playing a deer. You are a male deer, not a human in a deer skin.
But don't worry: later on there will be many opportunities to make your avatar appear more feminine if you like. He may be male but he doesn't have to be a macho (if it is even possible for an animal to be a macho...).

• No avatar
August 18, 2014, 04:14:34 am
Quote the FAQ about that:

Why is the deer a stag and not a doe?
Several reasons. One is that we like the look of antlers. And female deer don't have those. Another and more important reason is motivated by our insistance on our position as authors. We choose a male character because it fits the story that we want to tell (Nobody questions the author of a novel about the gender of their protagonist!...). Also, we feel that if we were to give you the choice of playing a stag or a doe, your experience would become about your gender. The Endless Forest is not about being male or female, but about (role)playing a deer. You are a male deer, not a human in a deer skin.
But don't worry: later on there will be many opportunities to make your avatar appear more feminine if you like. He may be male but he doesn't have to be a macho (if it is even possible for an animal to be a macho...).

Ok and? This is all very old, and I've read it before. And it makes no sense. "You wouldn't question the gender of protagonist?" usually the gender is already depicted in stories. Either a male or a female. To me it just seems like there is no story, just two people who enjoy an all male community. What kind of message is this sending to children? That it's ok not acknowledge female existence? These people have never shown the "Story" they're talking about, you just wander around as a male stag, unable to really communicate with other people unless by mooing or pawing at the ground or dancing. After 3 years, I would of expected some major changes, but there is none, and it's disappointing. :\

August 18, 2014, 09:47:19 am
*shrug* Just posting what they say about said topic regardless of how old it is.

But it is kind of sad that we haven't really seen any development for years.

• No avatar
August 18, 2014, 01:52:43 pm
*shrug* Just posting what they say about said topic regardless of how old it is.

I agree with you, and I am rather personally irritated with the fact that there is and was a thread to post Ideas or whatever to the developers. Why ask us for ideas if they're not going to consider a single one of them?

October 08, 2014, 03:43:24 am

I agree with you, and I am rather personally irritated with the fact that there is and was a thread to post Ideas or whatever to the developers. Why ask us for ideas if they're not going to consider a single one of them?

yeah i'd love to see some new stuff. like.... Pegasus wings or something hahahaha. NEW PELTS! NEW ANTLERS! RAAAHH!

October 21, 2014, 12:53:54 am
TEF is supposed to be peaceful. Having no apparent gender removes gender politics from the equation. The horns and antlers are like the masks and pelts, they are there for beauty, not battle.

October 25, 2014, 09:56:44 pm
but real deer have genders.. i honestly don't see the real threat in making female deer on this game. it seems the same as dark pelt, light pelt discrimination to me.

October 26, 2014, 12:30:46 am
Technically, although the deer in TEF have antlers, are also called deer, they're genderless and not real deer....weird but yeah.

October 26, 2014, 09:24:30 am
Just logged on to go through posts that I haven't seen and noticed my idea got repeated. Thanks for the credit note chromahound! I also agree that gender differences would be pretty cool to have.

October 31, 2014, 06:04:53 pm
i feel like the best way to look like a doe is having the antlers that are just little stubs with a light pelt haha :3

HAPPY HALLOWEEN !

• No avatar
November 08, 2014, 05:02:11 am
The gender idea is interesting, but I have to agree that leaving aside the whole gender politic thing is one of the reasons I play.  I mean, if you want 'realism' in that aspect, might as well play Second Life.   I like the dandelion idea, and the tree to climb and jump from, they are kinda fun play ideas - but for really special magic I really like the Pegasus idea.    It would be really cool to retain the deer form and be able to fly wherever for a minute or two - you know, on VERY special occasions, sort of like a dream or something.    Or, maybe when your deer falls asleep perhaps there could be a slim random chance that you would kind of float out of your body, and the player might notice a 'ghost' deer floating over his sleeping deer, and be able to go for a flight for a little while, until just like a real OBE it just kinda ends and he finds himself back at his sleeping form.   Perhaps there could be something also in play so the other players could 'sorta' sense the presence of the visiting deer, but it would still be ethereal...

So many possibilities.

November 23, 2014, 10:15:43 pm
The gender idea is interesting, but I have to agree that leaving aside the whole gender politic thing is one of the reasons I play.  I mean, if you want 'realism' in that aspect, might as well play Second Life.   I like the dandelion idea, and the tree to climb and jump from, they are kinda fun play ideas - but for really special magic I really like the Pegasus idea.    It would be really cool to retain the deer form and be able to fly wherever for a minute or two - you know, on VERY special occasions, sort of like a dream or something.    Or, maybe when your deer falls asleep perhaps there could be a slim random chance that you would kind of float out of your body, and the player might notice a 'ghost' deer floating over his sleeping deer, and be able to go for a flight for a little while, until just like a real OBE it just kinda ends and he finds himself back at his sleeping form.   Perhaps there could be something also in play so the other players could 'sorta' sense the presence of the visiting deer, but it would still be ethereal...

So many possibilities.

not bad, very interesting hhaha. yeah there definitely needs to be something else to do here to attract more players. more things to customize on your deer, more options at least, more places to go. maybe a music place where when you step on something it plays a musical note. idk...