top_image

<  Forest Design Issues and Ideas  ~  endless forest suggestion seriously the games unpopular.

shadowcharge
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:16 am Reply with quote
heres what i think the game relies too much on body language i've seen insanly bad reviews for it and this game needs work. heres the deal for you guys that use the game.

all good mmorpgs have chats without in game chats the mmorpg sucks and peopel lose interest.

another thing is the body language of the deer is not something that should be relavent to the game in fact if there was chats you could as k poepel to cast spells instead of using the stupid emotes to get others attention.

another thing is that the pelt colors we need to be able to make custom pelt colors.

the game appears to hav ebeen abandoned by it;s creators there ahsn't been an update since 09. heres the thing when i game hasn't been updated in two years it's more then likely it's become an abandoned project and that they creators are working on soemthing else.
Terabetha
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:19 pm Reply with quote
TEF certainly isn't for everyone, that much is for sure. You can't really compare it to other online games though since it wasn't made with the same goals (Tale of Tales prides itself on making 'non-games').

You're right though, Tale of Tales has moved onto other projects, I've played a few and they're quiet interesting but lack the communal play of The Forest. I think the idea of custom pelts is interesting, but since Tale of Tales has moved on, updates on that scale aren't likely.
Who?
Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Dec 2011 Posts: 12 Location: Hm... under your bed? N'ah, I'm in Ireland.
I agree completely with Tera- and anyway, why does a game have to be popular? Once a few people like it and play it, that's all there is.
Rire
Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
Joined: 31 Dec 2007 Posts: 114 Location: The forest, of course
It always amuses me when folks come around and say "The Forest NEEDS this."

The Forest isn't just a game. It's art. As long as it's what the artist intended, it's perfect. It doesn't NEED anything.
There may be a lot of things that would be really cool/nice to have, but we seem to have survived without them.

And I agree - who cares if the game is "popular?"
There are thousands of users. Seems pretty well-populated to me. Do you NEED a million players (who you won't even be next to/want to chat with) online to have fun? Can't you play a game with just one other person, or even by yourself?
Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Funny, shadowcharge seems to want The Endless Forest to be the same as most other games. But what is the point of that? Those other games already exist, we can play them instead of changing The Endless Forest to be like them.

The Endless Forest has never been as successful as today. So many people are playing so enthusiastically. This never ceases to amaze and inspire us. We have not a abandoned the project at all! It's still running, isn't it? We wish we could spend more time expanding it, but it being a free game, this is hard to justify. And we do not wish to "monetize" the project.

Indeed, we are working on other projects. We are artists with a vision and a mission and a limited life span. In the mean time, The Endless Forest is inspiring new games by other creators, Way and Journey, for instance. It is very much alive! Smile
HanaImakura
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
They just added something to the game, so apparently, they are still giving it some attention. As for popularity, I agree it can get lonely, but isn't it fun to play as a pretty little animal??? Plus, the animation is very smooth- thats one of my favorite things in the game. I do somewhat agree that it would be cool to have new items and things as well, but it looks to me like the game has survived long enough without them, too. (Although I was kind of hoping for a Valentines Day event so I could put something new on my fawn!)
PyroDoe
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
I for one love it. I love that Endless Forest isn't horribly crowded, and it's fun and challenging to try and find other ways to communicate. It's unfortunate that we live in a world where people can't communicate with body language anymore.
jader7777
Posted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Well it has some nice art in it and a few quirky tunes.

The scope of interaction is simple but also flexible once you've learned all the gestures.

I think the worst problem is just the lack of finesse in the game's collision detection and how it draws (or at times doesn't) things on the screen. The biggest let down is when the game is actually in motion, which is a pity because as a screen saver it does an OK job but beyond that...

Basically it's going to need a lot more work before it's a polished final product, but the working prototype is pretty fun nonetheless. Rolling Eyes

Then again the developers appear to be in no rush, nor is this commercial. Heck, imagine if they integrated it into Facebook and made deer customizations cost actual money? Gross.

Perhaps they could add a few small games within the game. I'd like to see an object like a ball or a wheel that can be pushed around the forest by all the players. Or perhaps make the music emote require timed input to play correctly, just a tap tap tap tap t0 the rhythm to keep the song going would make it much more engaging than just a passive experience.
RainWalker
Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
If you really need the chatter of other people to be entertained, you have come to the wrong game.

Whatever happened to just enjoying the scenery? Stopping to smell the roses and all that jazz? I love the feeling of just exploring this game offers. No quests or npc's telling you what you should be doing. No time limits. None of that. It all falls on you to decide. Whatever happened to our childhood sense of make believe, of dreaming up our own stories? Where has the sense of wonder gone?

After I had first found this game I have searched desperately for any others of similar genre and have been sorely disappointed. This game is so unique that it compels me to attempt creating my own world to explore.

I'm not trying to be a downer here, but really think about it. New items and customizations would be nice, sure. But would a new coat really mean as much if you could simply ask another player for it? If nothing poses any kind of minute challenge, doesn't that take just a little of the magic away?
jader7777
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
I guess you never found Cat Chat. http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh_B/chatchat

Or played Animal Crossing. Animal Crossing is the pinnacle of this genre of game.
Raz
Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
I'm going to lock this thread, as it keeps being bumped. The original poster has not posted since December last year and I doubt they will return and read it. It also appears what has needed to be said has been said. Also locking to prevent it from going off topic.