top_image

<  Forest Design Issues and Ideas  ~  The doe

Should there be female deer as well as male deer in this game?

Yes  
55%
  [ 31 ]  55%

No  
28%
  [ 16 ]  28%

Maybe...  
16%
  [ 9 ]  16%

Total Votes : 56
fuzzzzj
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
Hi, I was playing the endless forest and I was walking around for a while and then an idea hit me. Why not have one more optional feature to change your look. I'm a girl and it felt kinda awkward for me playing as a male so I decided to post this. I was thinking that there could be an option that the person would check (in the options menu) and they would look like a doe. Also, everything would be the same for actions except for casting antlers on the doe. I was thinking that the antlers would be no bigger than the ears and the default antlers, well there wouldn't be any visble default antlers. Growing up would have the same fawn image or a fawn without tiny antlers. (If this idea has already been posted message me and I'll remove this Smile ) So what do you guys think?
QuadRaptor
Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:44 am Reply with quote
M&A actually intended every deer to be male. You can, however, make your deer look feminine and call it a doe.

Here ya go -

http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/faq.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
fuzzzzj
Posted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Ok I just wanted to hear what the public thought.
bbpuga
Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:51 am Reply with quote
I agree with you 100%!!!

I feel the same way, I really wish I could be a doe instead of a stag,
I personally feel that it would make the gameplay much better, and more lifelike. We don't have to change the faces, maybe just no antlers?

I would really like that...
Verdalas
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
To add genders in the game would create a reason for things such as discrimination. To give everyone the same model and allowing them to change pelt/mask/antlers as they please is probably the best option, as it opens the doors for more varied interpretations.

For example, some might see a blue deer with small antlers as a female, while others might see it as a deer who had their antlers cut off. This way it's more fun and you're not forced to recognise a deer with a gender, and so it comes back to my point of not bullying that person because of it. Smile
Saosin
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Sex? Nah. I'm all in for more feminine sets though, without it defining the deer as females, anyway.
Raz
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:37 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
I'm going to add in that some female deer/cervidae? do have antlers, I know that Caribou does have antlers.
dukerebeccadiane
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
But this deer here is a red deer so red deer does do not have antlers just throwing that in
tekoya
Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I would like to be a doe but at the same time I don't want to be without those pretty antlers.

Personally, I enjoy thinking of my character as genderless. Then when I add on pelts, masks, and antlers I can get creative and figure out ways to make "her" seem more feminine. It feels more creative and personal to me that way.

Also I enjoy looking at other plays and figuring out or imagining for myself what or who they really are. It kinda adds more to the game for me.

..And there is my 5 cents worth..~ ^^;
dukerebeccadiane
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Yes it it fun but like M&A said when i read that link about what they said about gender later on there will be more ways to be a feminine deer.So just keep on ridin till it gets here
Lance J.
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:58 am Reply with quote
I also think that my character is genderless. =P
Don't know why, but when I entered the game for the very first time (yesterday xD), I though that all those deers didn't had any gender at all, even having the antlers. I think that the human face helped me to think that.

I just like this way. Smile
Kalira
Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Aug 2007 Posts: 264 Location: munching on flowers
I don't think a set doe vs stag option is a good idea. So many of the ingame deer are actually tied to full, complicated characters, and that would limit it.

What WOULD be nice, and I think would solve your problem too, is more possibilities with antler magic to wind up with antlerless/small antlered deer.

But it's possible I'm just saying that because I'd enjoy more options for LARGE antlered deer. Very Happy
fuzzzzj
Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
Ok, thanks for all of yor opinons. I don't know if it would cause discrminaton because of being a female. Anyways, I don't mind the genderless thing either. In fact I'd be unhappy if the deers were all girls. Well that's my opinion.