top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Ice-Pick Lodge Games

Devilfish
Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I played The Path, I've been digging into the indie/arthouse game scene. I've been a gamer ever since gaming meant hauling ass to the right of the screen and punching dudes, but this is a completely new experience for me. And I've come across another game developer that deserves a lot of love: Ice-Pick Lodge. If you enjoyed Tale of Tales games, I highly recommend you take a look at their games. They have three to date.

Pathologic was their first and it set the bar very, very high. You play as one of three characters trapped in a little town in the steppe that is slowly succumbing to the effects of a deadly plague. This game is very, very strange. I've played it twice now and I still can't put it out of my head. Unfortunately something went horribly wrong in the translation from Russian to English, making everything the characters say an incomprehensible mess, but don't let that deter you. It actually adds to the strange, oppressive atmosphere of the game. You should play this.

The Void may be their masterpiece. I talk about it at length
here. You should also play this.

Cargo! is... um... Well, it certainly is different. There's... Well, there's naked dwarfs. You kick them in the rump for FUN. There's... Um... Well, the masks... Floating penguin ice fortress...
You should play this.

Give these people some love! Nobody is doing what they are doing, and that alone is worth the low, low price of these games.
Michael
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Ice-Pick Lodge is certainly an interesting studio. I find their games a bit too difficult for my taste. And I don't know what to think of Cargo. But they definitely deserve more attention!
Devilfish
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:52 am Reply with quote
The Void is insanely hard. I honestly don't know what to think about Pathologic in terms of difficulty. The only thing that makes that game hard for me so far is the atrocious translation. Half the time I don't know what I'm supposed to do, and being on a timer doesn't help. It really does add to the surreal atmosphere, but it makes it sort of hard to actually play.

I prefer their more moody games over Cargo!, but I can't say I'm not having a ton of fun with it. There's something immensely satisfying about kicking naked, sexless dwarfs in the rump. I really hope it gets them some mainstream attention, because they deserve it. But I do hope they go back to making games like The Void after this.
BenDueste
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
Devilfish wrote:
The Void is insanely hard. I honestly don't know what to think about Pathologic in terms of difficulty. The only thing that makes that game hard for me so far is the atrocious translation. Half the time I don't know what I'm supposed to do, and being on a timer doesn't help. It really does add to the surreal atmosphere, but it makes it sort of hard to actually play.

I prefer their more moody games over Cargo!, but I can't say I'm not having a ton of fun with it. There's something immensely satisfying about kicking naked, sexless dwarfs in the rump. I really hope it gets them some mainstream attention, because they deserve it. But I do hope they go back to making games like The Void after this.
jailbreak 2 buy jb2 dongle jb2 true blue
cyncyn
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:55 am Reply with quote
BenDueste wrote:
Devilfish wrote:
________
Mandalay Bay Hotel Las Vegas Vegas Shows

jailbreak 2 buy jb2 dongle jb2 true blue

Love it!
joerjoe
Posted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Nice Studio. Its is interesting to read.

Military knife that is intended primarily for use in a role other than combat is typically referred to by their primary role.