top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Deadly Premonition

damaster4u
Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Enter Deadly Premonition, A 3rd person horror survival game. You play as Francis York Morgan (please, just call him York, its what everyone else calls him) trying to solve the mystery of local woman, Anna Grams, death. Keep in mind I have this game for the xbox 360

Graphics: There not that good when you compare them to games that have come out around there time. (2010) but if your like me, graphics don't really matter as much as game play and story. So if you can get around the fact that this games Graphics looks like something on the first xbox, you will live.

Sounds and music: Again, not the games strong points well. The sounds are limited and the music can most of the time not fit what is going on at the moment, but you have the option of turning off music or sounds. Of corse you should play the game to its fullest, sounds and all, but it is recommended you turn the music a bit down but keep the sound and voice the same. Unless of corse you really do like the music.

Controls: Ever play Resident Evil? Well you will feel a bit at home with this game play then. You move and turn your body with the left thumb stick. People who play Resident Evil will know what I'm talking about. You aim with the right trigger and now the left stick that was move is now to aim with the gun. You cant move while you are aiming and the A button is shoot. Its a simple control layout, although sometimes aiming can be a bit of a nuisance.

Characters: The characters in this game are well written. You get attached to the main characters really quickly in this game. You have York (You play as him), Emily Wyatt (A 26 year old deputy sheriff of Greenvale), George Woodman (A 42 year old sheriff of Greenvale), and finally Thomas MacLaine (A 28 year old deputy of Greenvale). These main characters have there own individual personality that is fun to watch develop as the game goes on.

Game play: Deadly Premonition is an open-world survival horror game which gives the player the freedom to explore the town of Greenvale and choose events and activities to participate in, alongside mandatory sequences which advance the game's overall story (Taken from Wiki) I believe that says it all, but there is another part of the gameplay that I will explain. The game is split into 2 worlds. These worlds are the real world and the shadow world (as i call it). The real world is as it is, the real world, and the shadow world is where the horror survival part kicks in.

Game play (continued): In the shadow world you mainly have to find clues that will help you lead to Anna's killer, but 90% of the time you have to defend yourself and survive to find these clues. Now, this is where some horror survival fans may be a bit turned off at this game, I was a bit. Fighting these shadow monsters can be a bit...well...boring sometimes, or even repetitive. A lot of the shadow monsters look the same and sound the same. You will be finding yourself facing the same type of monster for a few levels before it adds a slight change of clothing to them, but doesn't effect how they fight or move. So does this effect the game? Well...ya a bit, it did make me experience a bit more boring, but here is the top reason i played this game to the end!

Story: My GOD this games story is really done well in this game. This is the reason I felt compelled to keep going and push on in the game. This games actually makes you WANT to solve the case and see who is behind all of this, and as the game progresses more and more in the game the story only gets better and better. I'm not going to spoil anything, but lets just say that Anna's death is only the start of this murder mystery.

Bottom line: If you like a game with a very well written story and you can get around the lack of top quality graphics and great sounds and music, then I totally recommend this game to you. By the end of this game when it all comes together you will feel a sence of accomplishment, something I rarely feel when I beat a game. This game is available for the Xbox 360 and the PS3.

Quick summery:

Graphics: 5/10
Sound and Music: 4/10
Characters: 9/10
Game play: 7/10 (as bad as i made it sound, it is pretty tolerable)
Story: 10/10

Overall: 7/10 = Get this game if you are a fan of good story's, well developed characters, and murder mysteries with a little Resident Evil game play tossed in.