top_image

<  News & gossip  ~  Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Hello Tale of Tales, just dropping in to say that I heard about Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which appears to be a horror not-game in a similar strand to The Path, from here:

http://humon.deviantart.com/#/d36kju5

Here's a video of it, it seems to be the kind of thing the people on these forums (if my memory is accurate) would be interested in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhfTnxG7lLY

Anyway, hi! I remember here fondly, no idea if any of you remember me. I still check Tale of Tales occasionally for new stuff, but I'm busy working now. Eww.
Emriss
Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I LoveHate that game. It's not quite like The Path in that, where The Path's horror is mainly brainy stuff that creeps under your skin, Amnesia focuses on putting your body on edge, ready to set off the flight-or-fight response. Not quite as cerebral; more set on triggering that animal part of our brain that responds to every creaking door with "HOLY SHIT WE'RE GONNA DIE!"
Gothic_Redemption
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote
I would like to play it, but just watching the preview video on the site did dreadful things to my sanity. XD
Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Hi Wildbluesun! Thanks for dropping by! Smile

I'm playing Amnesia right now. Enjoying it quite a bit. Yes, it is scary but not so much in a game-like fashion. It doesn't frustrate or make you afraid of losing points. When a certain part is too hard, it becomes easier after you fail. Also, there's very few occasions where your character can die. And those are not the scariest moments. Your sanity, however, is always at risk.

Amnesia is scary because of the masterful way in which the designers have combined sound, visuals and narrative into a procedural, every changing atmosphere. It gets to you on an almost subconscious level. Which is why I can't play the game for very long without becoming nauseous (though the first person camera and the visual distortions may contribute to that as well). But playing in short sessions solves that.

Amnesia is a huge leap forward from Frictional's previous games in the Penumbra series (which I simply couldn't play because of the rigid rules-based gameplay). And it makes me look forward to their next project, in which they promise to go further on the same path.
(Amnesia, by the way, is also very successful commercially!)
CiaranHilton
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:34 am Reply with quote
Amnesia is great, and they do constant DLC's (Downloadable content for free), like a short campaign, and also a online book with stories based around the main game.
The companies previous games Penumbra series is also highly worth playing.
moosehoof
Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
I cant ever play this game.
I can barely even watch someone play it! Oi!
x3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Howleen
Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Apr 2011 Posts: 1 Location: Hiding in the shadows.
Haha, I love this game, and hate it at the same time. And most probably won't ever try to play it.

Enough with watching all the episodes of Tobuscus's Amnesia gameplay...