top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  Almost there: beta 10 of version 3.4 available for testing

Fiddlesticks
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Jul 2010 Posts: 288 Location: Russia. Russia. Error.
tullow wrote:
I know they pop out a bit, but... This far? It looks a bit strange. XD;

I also got a shot of myself with a nameless that had my picto. Button in the bottom left corner is green, and on the connection page it says I'm successfully connected.

They are supposed to pop out that far. :3

This happened to me once, but I had the night/mist thing on, sooo...
Michael
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
boomco wrote:
There are a lot of deer I can see running around with my pictogram again. I've restarted my computer and still nothing's worked... unless everyone else is getting this too? :l

These may be users of the old version. There is a pretty serious bug in that version that prevents pictograms from showing up properly. This should be corrected in the new version but we may only be able to tell after everybody has switched over.
Michael
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Seed wrote:
Well, I haven't noticed anything different when I log in or out of that account, so...I guess it's not bugged? Unless it is. Should I be looking for something in particular?

The special test hasn't started yet.
You will be notified by email.
Michael
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
Seele wrote:
To me it looked like all the nameless had my own picto now, instead of the glitch we had last time, where they would all carry Michael's picto. I don't see Michael-nameless around anymore, just deer with my pictogram. It's confusing but it's a change.

I'll look into it.
ToT
Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Enough people have contacted us for participation in the special feature test. Thank you. You will receive an email when the test starts. Probably later today or tomorrow.
Moogie
Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda late to the party, but if you're still doing tests, I've just sent my username/password. Smile
Soer
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Mar 2009 Posts: 42 Location: Land of Deer and Idols
I am participating in the test, just two very small glitches I encountered:

When running through trees I don't get the blue mist, only the sound.

When disconnected, the "You are currently not connected" and Network Status are written in one line. Razz

(That sound playing while redirecting sounds so cool! It reminds me of what you hear when being close to the Old Oak.)
fortwolifetimes
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:24 am Reply with quote
I am also testing and have encountered the "blue smoke" problem as well. Only, the thing is, mine appears later. I can all-of-a sudden have a burst of blue smoke around my deer. It has happened often today.
shaku
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
Little glitch~

When I went into the options screen (I used the escape key, if that makes any difference) and then exited out of it, I was no longer able to move. I could do all the actions and such, but couldn't walk around (with arrow keys or the mouse)~

Luckily, I got stuck next to some gorgeous giant mushrooms. I LOVE the look of this place. It's really stunning.
Sluggs
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Changing the screen from fullscreen to window mode is unstable.

The first time I changed from fullscreen mode (1024x768) to window mode, everything went bright blue, was back in the game, but the screen stayed blue, so I couldn't see anything! I was able to run around the forest still, (I could hear my deer running around) I had to reboot the PC to get out the game. ALT+F4 didn't work for some reason.

After rebooting, I tried again. It didn't stay blue this time around, and it went to window mode fine, but after I set it back to fullscreen mode, the game crashed.

I tried this a few times. Each time I set the screen from full to window, then back to full, the game simply crashed.

Since it's unstable, maybe it would be better to have the game exit after changing the screen, instead of it changing after pressing "Esc"?

Just an idea.

Also...

Are these lines meant to be there, around the borders?

*goes back to testing*

I really like the Redirecting thing!

Small glitches can occur during redirecting. Like when your deer is running on the normal server while redirecting. Once logged into the Abio server, your deer might be sat down and be able to slide around the forest on it's butt!

Also, the "The Twin Gods Festival" message...

If you log out while in the Abio server, that message will show up, and it does the same when you log back in.

This little thing has been in TEF for some time now...

Something is blocking the entrance to the Great Oak. It's just right of the entrance. It's like there is an unrendered cube there or something. If you walk around the entrance a bit, you'll find that something blocks your deer's path!

Edit: One time I was redirected near the Twin Gods, and I could hear the music from far away, as if they were following me around the forest!

Last edited by Sluggs on Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Moogie
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll take notes here during my first play-around in the Abio server. Smile

First thing I noticed was how much smoother the game started running when I was redirected to the new server. After some investigation, it seems that Shadows are disabled, even if they were enabled before in the regular forest.

--Tried changing the Shadows setting... nope, still no shadows.

--Tried changing other settings (such as Character Detail)... these seem to be working fine.

Restarting the client...

--My player position has changed in the 'real' forest, to reflect where I logged out in the Abio server. Shouldn't my positions remain seperate between servers?

--Shadows are still disabled in the Abio server. My current setting: "Simple" shadows.

Okay, moving on. Smile I noticed a small graphical oddity with the snow effects. It's not really a problem, just looks a bit weird to me. I'll try to explain it.

I'm assuming that each snow 'particle' is a graphic containing many snowflakes. When the particle reaches the floor, it disappears abruptly; if you watch closely, many snowflakes disappear all at once, before they even reached the floor!

--My suggestion: kill the snow particles after they have moved beneath the z-level of the floor (or camera).

Moving on again... Smile

--Confirmed the small invisible object blocking movement inside the Great Oak. It's a fairly small object, roughly at these coordinates: 184 x -58

--Visability is a slight problem in eternal nighttime, IMO, especially during real-life daytime when there is a lot of ambient light in the room. Might I suggest adding a very faint lightsource to the player, to illuminate his surroundings a little bit? This also applies to the regular server. Smile I think this would make sense, because don't our pictograms glow already? Wink

That's all I can find for now. There's nobody else online at the moment. Maybe when there are more people to play with, I'll take some more notes. Smile Thanks for adding me to the test!

Edit: Oh, I thought of one more thing. Are you planning on adding any option for redirected players to rejoin the regular Forest? I don't mean during these beta-tests; just once the new version is released publically. For example, if a player starts experiencing problems (lag, etc) during the performance, he can choose to go back to the quieter surroundings. Smile
PartyAnimals
Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:49 pm Reply with quote
*It was already mentioned that none of the trees had blue smoke, but some of them don't play sounds either.

* The first few times I was redirected to the test server, the game would crash when it went to blue screen. This usually happened if I had started running around before redirecting. If I stay still, I'm redirected without issue.

*If I log in when I don't have the Player Identification checked, my set will disappear after I get redirected, even if I turn P.I. back on. I am able to get the set only after I change to another deer and switch back-I was unable to use the load set feature.

I also noticed the first couple times being in the test server, I was unable to see other player pictograms. However, when I switched deer, they suddenly appeared (also the extra lines on the border vanished). I switched back, and the pictograms vanished again.
After closing and opening the game twice, I didn't have any more problems with this.
Moogie
Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Some new things I noticed:

In the Network screen, clicking "Connect" doesn't work, but it DOES work if you click underneath the word "Connect". This was in Windowed mode.

Once connected and in the process of being logged in (but not logged in fully yet), the "Log Out" button is invisible. Clicking the space underneath the login text, however, does cancel the log-in even though you're just clicking empty space.

Also, if you log out immediately after connecting and being auto-logged-in (i.e. just before the screen fades to blue and the "Redirecting" text appears), the game will crash.

Logging out/disconnecting does not return you to the regular Forest server.
Fiddlesticks
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:41 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Jul 2010 Posts: 288 Location: Russia. Russia. Error.
Can I try testing?!

Please?!

Where do I send my user and pass?!
Michael
Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Sluggs wrote:
Changing the screen from fullscreen to window mode is unstable.

(...)

Since it's unstable, maybe it would be better to have the game exit after changing the screen, instead of it changing after pressing "Esc"?

If you would use the mouse to exit the menu, the game would quit.

So you're saying these error occurred when using ESC to exit the menu?