top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  ABIOGENESIS tomorrow

Ravenflight
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:12 pm Reply with quote
What Raz said.
Vanita
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I really like the idea, though it'd made me sad if it was pay-only. But if it's only sometimes, I guess we'll have to live with it. Although I also like the idea of TEF being free, I understand that you need the money and have the right to get it.
I myself am not old enough to pay in any way, so my chances to celebrate an abiogenesis you have to pay for are zero.

I also think the cutting off point would be a good idea, but it's got two flaws.
1st. I saw it today, that hours before the Abiogenesis, 80 to 90 deers were already waiting. And there is no limit. So if there will be a limit, we would propably reach the amount of deers way before the actual abiogenesis.
2nd.It'd be pretty unfair for people who can't stay online long (so they can't come early enough to get a place). So there would be some kind of system that tells you if you are allowed to come or not. But what would be the reason? Maybe we could only access every second Abiogenesis? Maybe you'd have to be an active player, so that you can't just never log in and then come to the Abiogenesis. Or maybe there's an amount of how many you can visit each year?
I think it's a good idea, but it's gonna take a while until it's good enough to be actually implemented.

Sorry for the long text Shocked
Frith
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Why not do both? Random 'surprise' ABIOGENESISesesez that can take place because they are not announced in advance, and planned, ticketed ABIOGENESISes that do get announced. And for those that miss both, there are always the lovely still pictures and videos that the participants post here and there. 8^) So, it's like yer travelling minstrels. Sometimes you get lucky and you catch them at a free concert, sometimes they're in town filling the local stadium, and if you miss both, well, you can listen to them on the radio.

Um the plural of ABIOGENESIS is...
ABIOGENERAE?
ABIOGENESISTERS?
ABIOGENESISSIES?
ABIOGENESCISSORS?
ABIOGENESISERAE?
QuadRaptor
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm for the virtual ticket idea, honestly, because M & A need the money.

It's nice of them to keep TEF as free as it has been, but I do feel like it should have some other way of generating funds other than the donations.

That's another idea - what if there's not a set amount of money for a ticket? What if there's maybe a minimum donation, but no maximum so you can give what you can?

I understand that most TEF players don't have money to begin with, but if there was a minimum amount that they could donate, I think it would be reasonable. Paypal of course can change any kind of payment in a heartbeat (all of my donations have had to been changed from USD to EURO).

I think it's time we give back what we can to Tale of Tales for the hard work they've put into making our Forest amazing. I think that using Abiogenesis as a fundraising event would be beneficial to both them and us (and maybe in the long run it can help toward the next phase in development or possibly help fund the server costs).

If you have money, consider it. If not, ask your parents for a couple of bucks (pun intended) or to send a little extra money via Paypal to help fund a community you enjoy. I don't see why they'd say no.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Vanita
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quadraptor, I do agree with all of you said.
They deserve go get money for it and the idea of a minimum donation is great.
But you make the money thing sound way too easy. A lot of people cannot just ask their parents. For one thing, Abiogenesis sounds way better to us than to them. For parents it's something like "Can you please give me money so I can see some one-hour magic on my free game?" (No offense and that's not what I think of an Abiogenesis, but I can imagine it must sound like that) and for another thing, a lot of people don't have the money for it. (Again, remember I am pro the money thing, just making my point xD)
We for example, cannot afford to use our car because prices are too high. Internet and a computer are pretty much the only luxury we have and use. Because my grandmother loves donating and my father hopefully still feels guilty for leaving us, we somehow managed to get me a vacation. But that again only worked because it is to improve my english and I will be going to school there. We get school paid because I have a right for education and we've got enough problems trying to pay for our apartement.
It seems like a rare case and I'm sorry if it looks like I'm just trying to rant about it all, but I can imagine there are people with similar (maybe not so dramatic) problems.

But all in all, I think M & A should implement the tickets to get some more money. If I had the money I would definitely donate it here, especially to see the next phase coming soon!
Jen
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Michael said there would be both, paid for tickets and limited numbers, that way people who can't buy can still attend and people who can buy can support The Endless Forest.

I am most definitely for paid tickets, because I think it is a great way to get some money flowing into the development of the forest. I assume the tickets will not be very expensive, and it would not be hard to save a couple dollars in order to put towards your ticket. I understand not everyone has a paypal, but there would still be unpaid Abios as well.

There are limits to a free game, not everything can be free if we expect the game to keep running. The Endless Forest was never meant to house so many people, and if we want it to keep functioning, we need to chip in. The Endless Forest mission statement that read "this game will always be free" was created when Michael and Auriea first started, they had no idea their game would grow and become so popular.

I also understand concerns that people will log in and stay logged into the game all day to reserve their seat, there must be some work around to that.
Terabetha
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I am also open to the idea of paid tickets (as long as we still get some little random visits on the side, those are one of the most charming elements of TEF in my eyes) because it would be great to have a bit more of a safety blanket so that if (and when, because they do) we get game breaking bugs, there will actually be money available to fix them. I would hate to see the game run itself into the ground because it's locked into this 'free or nothing' commitment.
GreenWitch
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Mar 2010 Posts: 51 Location: In the endless forests of my mind.
Michael wrote:
We're also thinking of charging for these tickets (at least some of the time). So that finally The Endless Forest can generate some money (on top of your kind donations), which may make it possible to improve the game.

Well, that rules me out. I guess I'll never get to see one after all.
Raz
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
Jen wrote:

I also understand concerns that people will log in and stay logged into the game all day to reserve their seat, there must be some work around to that.

How about those who always seem to be logged in but are asleep regardless? O_o For example there's a picto which consists of a large square with a smaller rectangle in the middle and a kind of arch going through it. I always see them on, never see them awake.
Jen
Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure how this could be solved Raz, maybe the connection to the forest could be closed for an hour/hour and a half before the abio, and then people would have to connect after that when it was reconnected? That way random sleepers would not connect, and therefore would not be able to take up a spot during the abio. Everyone would have an equal chance. Again, I am not sure the limitations of this. A whole bunch of people trying to connect at once might do more damage than good.
Michael
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:46 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I would just like to point out that charging for ABIOGENESIS tickets does not mean that The Endless Forest stops being free. In fact it means the choice between The Endless Forest, free as always but without ABIOGENESIS ever and The Endless Forest, free as always but with an ABIOGENESIS event once in a while. Either way, without a tickets system you get a free game without ABIOGENESIS.

ABIOGENESIS simply cannot happen anymore because The Endless Forest is more successful than anticipated. A big part of the reason for this success is of course that it's free. Making The Endless Forest less successful would be a solution for ABIOGENESIS. But it would be silly to try and reduce the success of something on purpose, wouldn't it?

The idea of tickets is to allow for everyone to be able to see a great ABIOGENESIS (not messed up by an excessively large audience). This means that players need to attend the festivals in small groups. To create these groups, we can use many systems. Charging money is one of them. Cutting people off after the maximum number has been achieved another. Maybe we can do a quiz and only let the winners in. Or we do an ABIOGENESIS only for people who have the letter Q in their deer name. Smile Etcetera. Each such system would work in favour of a different type of player. And in the end, everyone will have had a chance.

I'm not downplaying the importance of money. Without money, The Endless Forest cannot evolve. Maybe the ABIOGENESIS tickets will be crazy expensive, so that particular festival will be for millionaires only. But there should be others too. We'll just have to find different ways to give different people tickets, so that ultimately every player has a fair chance at attending an ABIOGENESIS event.
Sluggs
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Maybe the ABIOGENESIS tickets will be crazy expensive, so that particular festival will be for millionaires only.

Laughing
Frith
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Which would mean only 'moneybags' Sluggs could attend. X^D
Wetterhound
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Posts: 114 Location: United States of America
Frith wrote:

Um the plural of ABIOGENESIS is...
ABIOGENERAE?
ABIOGENESISTERS?
ABIOGENESISSIES?
ABIOGENESCISSORS?
ABIOGENESISERAE?

xDD Rofl. I think, in english, because it ends with S, the plural form would be ABIOGENESI. Lol. I dunno.
Bazlo
Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:12 am Reply with quote
I've never seen a abiogenesis before. I hope i get to see one sometime Smile I can't believe i missed the one in march, i was so disappointed.