top_image

<  Vanitas  ~  Vanitas for PC?

EvilSeedlet
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I gotta face it, there's probably no way I'm ever going to own an iPod or iPhone. Any chance of there being a PC version of Vanitas?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nine
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Yes, please!
path to home
Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
or maybe for the android phones too Smile
Emriss
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:25 am Reply with quote
Just throwing out there that they'd have to more or less completely remake Vanitas in order for it to run on PC. The basis for how the systems work are so completely different that there's no way to convert it. Sad
Tails1942
Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Emriss wrote:
Just throwing out there that they'd have to more or less completely remake Vanitas in order for it to run on PC. The basis for how the systems work are so completely different that there's no way to convert it. Sad

Well, they did it with the graveyard Wink And for what I remember, they made vanitas in unity, which they also made the graveyard in, so with the experience from the graveyard port, I think it would be possible, without too much effort Wink
Michael
Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:45 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
It would have to be different since you can't tilt a PC or have more than one cursor. And we use tilt and multi-touch control in the app. I think we'd just make a version with a stripped down interface (but much smoother animations -since the PC is much faster than an iPod).
EvilSeedlet
Posted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:21 am Reply with quote
Nooo problem here, I'd just love to be able to play it some time Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
allen
Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Emriss wrote:

They made Vanitas with Unity, which aside from a few changes already noted..it's almost as easy as clicking a checkbox for PC and clicking build.

I played a game recently that had a tilt mechanic, facilitated by using the WASD keys and then the mouse to rotate. It would be hard, but possible, to implement a sort of multi-touch for the PC. By 'pinning' multiple mouse clicks as a single touch. Sort of like holding ctrl and selecting multiple files in an operating system and then dragging one drags the others along with it.
Emriss
Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:43 am Reply with quote
Rarely am I so glad to be wrong.

Vanitas for PC, even a dumbed-down version of it to compensate for a different control scheme, would be a delight.
Michael
Posted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:17 am Reply with quote
allen wrote:
I played a game recently that had a tilt mechanic, facilitated by using the WASD keys and then the mouse to rotate.

Thanks for the tip!

This wouldn't work for Vanitas because its image is tied to the physical location of the device. We would almost have to model an iPhone in 3D and let you move that with the mouse. And that would be silly.

No. We'll stick to the idea of a simple version with limited interaction. It'll be fine.
Eugene
Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote
I have no ipad. Can I download this game and play on PC?
With some emulator-software or something like this?
Michael
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:39 pm Reply with quote
No, I don't think there's an emulator. Probably because you can't emulate tilt and multi-touch on a PC or Mac.

But we hope to release a limited version of Vanitas for PC and Mac soon.
GreatGatsby
Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Is this project still on?
I can't wait to see Vanitas on pc too since I don't own an Ipod or Ipad!
Michael
Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
There is a web version of Vanitas that runs on PC & Mac through the Unity plugin: http://Tale-of-Tales.com/Vanitas.

Click on "Try free web version" to open a browser window with Vanitas.
Cuckles
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
The in-browser Unity web version desperately needs attention. Of primary concern is the lack of any control substitution for tilt or depth functionality; especially as when dragged below the bottom boundary some objects will attempt to move along the z-axis, but unreliably so. Additionally, the physics for a static box orientation could use some optimization: objects interact erratically, especially those with larger footprints. All objects behave as though possessing like mass; object-object interactions are oversimplistic and counterintuitive; object drag speeds are fixed and at a lower than expected move rate. I'd quite like to see an update if possible, as if the Unity version is any indication of the quality of the Android application I can't see why anyone would pay actual money for it.