top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  Question on transferring The Path to another computer

Blackfeathr
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Posts: 949 Location: In the box under your stairs...
Hey all,

I just got a new laptop today and I want to transfer all my stuff over to it, and that means the Path also. How would I go about transferring it, since I didn't install it from a CD? I downloaded it after purchasing it online, so I don't have that superspecial USB thing.

PS: Dragging the desktop icon to my external hard drive doesn't work, it's only a shortcut. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Soprano
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:55 am Reply with quote
Copying the program files over. I hope it's allowed though. D:
Sluggs
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Don't you have a DVD writer? You can burn the installer to a DVD and insert the DVD into your laptop and copy the installer from the DVD to your laptop's C:\ drive, then install it from there.

If you want to save your progress, I suggest you copy the game folder from your old PC onto the DVD also. Once you have installed the game onto your laptop, copy the old game folder over the freshly installed folder.

PS. Installing the game onto another computer that you own, is fine.
Michael
Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Yes, it's allowed to copy the game to all of your own personal computers. Smile

The best thing is to run the installer again. If you didn't archive it and you bought it from us, send an email to reception at tale-of-tales.com and we can send you a new download link.

Simply copying the game's folder might work too. But you won't get shortcuts on your desktop or in the Start Menu.
StranaMente
Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I got a similar problem... I installed the game on another computer, but I didn't manage to transfer my progression, I also copied the entire folder, but it didn't seem to work. Is there a way to move those data?
Viking
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
StranaMente wrote:
I got a similar problem... I installed the game on another computer, but I didn't manage to transfer my progression, I also copied the entire folder, but it didn't seem to work. Is there a way to move those data?

The save file can be found under
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/The Path

Note that this is the path for where it is stored on Win7/Vista. Unsure of the XP pathname. Sorry. You will have to show hidden folders in the folder view options to access it as AppData is a hidden folder.
StranaMente
Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Thanks! It worked! Smile
ReptilianSugar
Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:58 am Reply with quote
I thought I'd post this here rather than start a new topic.

I just got a new laptop and transferred The Path to it, but I no longer have my serial number. Do you need it to run it on a new computer? If so, does this mean I have to buy it again...?
Michael
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The serial number is only needed for installation.
ReptilianSugar
Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote
So, I still need it to install it on my new laptop then, right? Because I can't install it since I don't have the serial number.
Michael
Posted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
If you have forgotten your serial number, you can email us at reception at tale-of-tales.com with your purchase information.
Nattydee
Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
My friend advice me to use the software called "clone disk". He said this way I no need to reinstall all the old software. Is this working? Does anyone have tried this way?
micdaniela
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Is working the tips given by @Viking. Good luck
zeeshan
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:39 am Reply with quote
When you purchase a new computer, there are many types of files you may want to move from your old machine. Most users will want to transfer digital photos and music from one computer to another. You may also wish to transfer information such as email settings, contacts, Internet favorites, user accounts, and software program configurations. It's relatively easy to transfer small amounts of information through email or by putting it on a CD or a portable flash drive. For large amounts of data, you can often use an Ethernet cable to link the computers together.

If you are moving a small amount of data and have access to a high-speed Internet connection, email is a very convenient way to transfer it from one computer to another. Free email providers often offer an impressive amount of storage space. You can email yourself files from your old computer, then download them to your new computer.

Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.

-----------------------------
Guild Wars 2 Gold | Diablo 3 Gold