top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Bioshock

LaconicCrustard
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Oct 2009 Posts: 18 Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
First of all: I know in your head you will all think this: ah! he is so violent. He must be rude and well... Violent! Sorry but this is not true. I am extremely calm and gentle, I use those more than gore games (Fallout 3, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Left 4 Dead ect.) to make all my anger go away. I am also not a rude person. In fact, I am very polite and willing to help almost anybody.

Now the review:

I found the gameplay relatively slow in general, but it was extremely detailled. The plotline was dark, and some moments almost made me piss my pants.Wath i also liked was that the maps were "small" but you could get so much things out of it.

As I sometimes say: Voila!
Chainsawkitten
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
I only played a small bit of Bioshock, but did not enjoy it. I had heard many great things about it and expected something completely different from what I got. I was kinda expecting it to be creepy and innovative and stuff, but I just couldn't care for what was happening, and there was too much action going on.

The small part of it I played was very predictable and not creepy at all. It didn't even succeed at the shock-scenes, which generally even a moron can pull off (not to say that shock-scenes can really be good, but they can be way more effective than that).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Emriss
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:12 am Reply with quote
Eh, I had fun with the combat once I got into it, but in my opinion it failed as a mood piece. I'm a story buff kinda gal, and it didn't quite fill my quota.

Still, the combat is pretty sweet further in if you crank up the difficulty.
shojakka
Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Nov 2009 Posts: 148 Location: RI, USA (teehee, acronyms)
Sad that game scared me...
Donna
Posted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:42 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry for digging this topic up from the dead, but I really wanted to say something about Bioshock.

An important thing about me: I suffer from motion sickness. I cannot play first-person games because I get sick after ten minutes. This was the first person game that did not make me feel sick at all, so props to that! Great camera design.

I didn't think it was such an amazing game either. The scares were cheap (bodies falling out of lockers, enemies appearing behind you when the lights go out and so on), the story was so-so, the surprise twist was expected.

Gameplay was... okay? I mean, you go, you shoot stuff, you use superpowers, there really isn't much to it. The only interesting battle sequence was the one on giant stairs, it was a very memorable segment of the game.

The art direction, however, was amazing. An underwater art nouveau-inspired city? Sign me up to move in! I enjoyed the scenery and cheesy retro posters. Music tracks were very nice, too.

But what I loved the most about it is the subtle morality questions it asks. You get a choice to kill or let live, and I'm not talking about the Little Sisters exclusively. It makes your choices count. It questions your morality as a gamer, it questions what being a gamer and playing a game means and how much control you have in a video game. It questions the freedom of choice and makes you realise that, in modern games, for now, you have (almost) none. That small instance when the game takes control as you hopelessly mash the buttons yelling "No, no, NO!!! That is NOT what I want to do!" is a very powerful one.

I think it had a few clever concepts packed in an average (but very pretty looking) shooter and it made excellent use of first person view.
Spleen
Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Nov 2010 Posts: 18 Location: On my own path through a endless forest of wandering.
I think Donna said a lot of what I'd like to say.

First, the greatest thing in the game was the soundtrack for me. I just love old jazz and crackling vinyls. I remember during the game leaving mouse and keyboard just to listen to good old tunes.
It introduce creepy vibes, and works perfectly with the "art&déco" game design.

Yes, second greatest thing is just game design. Art, coming from the 20's. 'Nuff said.

And last thing was the close relationship between the player and the game, when you have to choose the life of a little innocent girl. I thought that was really an interesting idea.
Donna
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
And last thing was the close relationship between the player and the game, when you have to choose the life of a little innocent girl. I thought that was really an interesting idea.

Yes, that was a very nice concept! I only wish killing one girl didn't affect the ending so much. I killed only one (out of curiosity) and in the end, the game called me a tyrant and a horrible person and told a story of how I kept killing them. That made me feel bad because I saved everyone else Sad Maybe there was a deeper meaning to it (commit a crime once and you'll forever be viewed as bad person, no matter how much good you do) but it still wasn't cool.
Spleen
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Nov 2010 Posts: 18 Location: On my own path through a endless forest of wandering.
Weird, I only killed one or two girls at the beginning and middle of game, but I received the "good" one ending.
Donna
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Huh, how come? I even checked the FAQ and forums and they said that if you kill only one, you get the bad ending. To be clear, I killed the first girl I encountered and saved everyone else.

Perhaps they released a patch or something later? :/
Spleen
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I dunno, I have the first Mac version, before the patch. Maybe is that?
CiaranHilton
Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
Only played Bioshock 1, thought it was excellent, the music and atmosphere was fantastic.
airamb
Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:56 am Reply with quote
If that's scary, try crazy maze...
guestpx
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 am Reply with quote
crazy game.. but very scare

[pogo scrabble
lucyming
Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
he is so violent. He must be rude and well...