top_image

<  Fatale  ~  Where you familiar with the story of Salome before Fatale?

Where you familiar with the story of Salome before Fatale?

Yes, even with Oscar wilde's version  
18%
  [ 9 ]  18%

Yes, in general  
14%
  [ 7 ]  14%

Only vaguely  
28%
  [ 14 ]  28%

No, but it didn't bother me when playing Fatale  
4%
  [ 2 ]  4%

Nope, not at all  
34%
  [ 17 ]  34%

Total Votes : 49
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:08 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We like to work with old stories at Tale of Tales. One of the reasons for this is that the familiarity of the audience with these stories allows us a) to not tell the story in some incompatible linear way and b) to go deeper into its potential meanings. But according to some, we may have overestimated people's familiarity with the tale of Salome. Hence this poll.

You can answer "Yes" if you knew that Salome danced and got John the Baptist executed as a reward for that.
Verdalas
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
The most I knew about Salome was from the poem we had to study about her in English a few years back. I knew John the Baptist was beheaded, but that was about it.

http://katrinasreads.blogspot.com/2008/06/poem-of-week-salome-carol-ann-duffy.html

Nice link to the poem there. ^^
Emriss
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote
The first time I ever heard of Salome was when you mentioned in an interview that you'd love to do a project with Sato about 'a certain dancer who got a certain saint beheaded'. I Googled it to get an idea of what you were talking about, but didn't look too far into it.

I'm currently reading through the play in my spare time in hopes of getting more out of FATALE. It really didn't ring through to me, and I think that might have to do with my lack of prior knowledge of it's basis.
EvilSeedlet
Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:24 am Reply with quote
I had a vague idea from my general knowledge of the Bible (which is limited), but I did some research after the game was announced. I still haven't read the play but I think I informed myself well enough to understand the game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Alice
Posted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I must say, that I haven't really knew anything about Salome since I'm not very familiar with Bible texts. Nevertheless, the moment I read that ToT is going to make a game based on it I found the play and read it holding my breath!
Because of this play I started to read other Wilde's works, so I want to thank ToT an Fatale for a great job they're doing with education of young people))
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm glad we're filling some gaps left by education these days. Smile
CoinCollector
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:05 am Reply with quote
Alice wrote:
I must say, that I haven't really knew anything about Salome since I'm not very familiar with Bible texts. Nevertheless, the moment I read that ToT is going to make a game based on it I found the play and read it holding my breath!
Because of this play I started to read other Wilde's works, so I want to thank ToT an Fatale for a great job they're doing with education of young people))

Same with me - I had never heard of Salome before, but read it after Fatale was announced. I'm reading some of Wilde's other plays right now as well, and they're pretty interesting.
Fahnette
Posted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 May 2009 Posts: 130 Location: In Newly-Wedded Bliss
Knew the story of Salome from college, read the Wilde as soon as it was mentioned on this site.

Holy cats, that man was a genius. He went Home way too soon...
amabhy
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
I had seen the painting but other than that I really had no idea about the story.

Fatale is definitely less accessible than The Path, and because of that I just felt there was something missing. It didn't provoke anywhere as much thought as The Path did, to say the least.
Michael
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
amabhy wrote:
It didn't provoke anywhere as much thought as The Path did, to say the least.

True. By design. FATALE is a more contemplative piece. It gives the player more responsibility. Which is not to say it is better -or worse. Just different. Because its themes are different.
root
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 am Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Dec 2009 Posts: 14 Location: Gennep, Limburg, Netherlands
First I heard of Salome was when I saw a gamasutra.com article about how Tale of Tales was making this game and Takayoshi Sato was doing 3d models for it.

I didn't do any research before playing the game. Trying not to spoil my experience and see what effect the game would have on me unburdened by knowing what it all refers to and how it ties in to the existing story of Salome. To see if I could make anything of it.

And I can say after playing it twice you did a pretty good job at giving enough subtle hints and story tidbits to get a cohesive story across, at least for me. ^^
davek1979
Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
amabhy wrote:
I had seen the painting but other than that I really had no idea about the story.

Which painting are you referring to ? Simple Google Image search reveals probably 50 paintings...
K
Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I must say, that I haven't really knew anything about Salome since I'm not very familiar with Bible texts.

Actually, Salome's name does not appear explicitely in the Bible (although the story is described in two Gospel texts, as mentioned by ToT on the "Fatale" webpage) - according to Wikipedia we know it from Flavius' writings; perhaps there was also some parallel way by which the name was passed in the Christian tradition. Anyway, in the ancient times of my youth it seemed obvious to me that everybody knew the story. Now I am not so sure of that.

I do not think I knew Wilde's Salome directly (I am not completely sure because long ago I read some of his texts and might have just forgotten this one...), but I heard about it and it's main message several times - in particular it is "reported on" in another variation on the Salome's story, written by a Polish philosopher Leszek Kolakowski.

You may also like to have a look at:
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Brzozowa
(coat of arms).

I guess that at least some citizens of Brzozow know the story. Smile
Donna
Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
No, not at all, although I've been planning on reading Wilde's story for quite some time.

To be completely honest, I wasn't familiar with the concept of FATALE either - I just got it because I enjoyed other ToT games. I rarely read previews, reviews and such when it comes to video games and movies. Trailers are all out of the question. I like to play my games completely unspoiled, that's the only way I can experience them with an open mind.