top_image

<  Fatale  ~  First impression (includes Spoilers)

Chris23235
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:06 am Reply with quote
Ok, that was interesting. Maybe I should have read Salome by Oscar Wilde first, but on the other side, maybe not.
It was amazing to see the character of Salome develop in the second part via all those small bits and pieces you get to see. The creators managed to get her alive and give her a personality on some level, even if she was doing nothing more, then standing there and breathing. Don't understand yet what the other Woman (other Salome?) was doing there, maybe she is the less self-confident part of herself, the one that is regretting demanding the head of John the Baptist? I don't know.
The first part was rather confusing, it took me a while to realize that the walls of text were the words of John, the character I was playing.
The epilogue was beautiful, but also kind of scary, I found myself asking, what she would wish for now.
I am really looking forward to play it again tomorrow.
Laerenna
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Joined: 14 May 2009 Posts: 32 Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands.
I am currently sitting here, after playing Fatale for the first time just now.. I am sitting here, no music, nothing but the quiet humming of I do not know what.
This rarely happens from a game, but I must admit I am without words. I can't seem to describe well what I feel right now except peace of some sorts.

How do you do it, Tale of Tales? Honestly. After such a hard day, and witnessing such art, flowing through the winds, nothing but a lone spirit in the winds, yet powerful enough to blow out the candles of fate. It makes me almost forget to breathe.

This is a masterpiece.
Once again, I am without words. The stunning work of Tale of Tales never ceases to amaze me. Good work.
ToT
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:06 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thank you.

It happens to us as well.
We're not sure what it is. It's just the subject matter combined with the medium, I think. It connects one to something. It makes one realize things on some deep irrational level. Peace and death holding hands.
EvilSeedlet
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:07 am Reply with quote
Spoilertown--

It's sort of a giant, beautiful character sketch. The modern touches totally threw me off, I could not let my brain believe she had an MP3 player for the longest time, I kept looking at it and pondering what else it could be.. and later when I saw the earbuds.

Hey Salome, I'll call you any time. Though, thinking back to what happened to your last love, maybe not.

I think I'll play it again because in zoomed-in mode after I blew out the candles I kept accidentally right clicking and backing out before I got to poke around and examine everything I wanted to. And then I was too curious to stick around some more before moving on, hehe.

The game was beautiful, creepy, candy for the eyes and ears, and I could see playing this several more times this week before I'm done with it. Beautiful work Smile

Edit-- Also, I'm not sure if this was intended or I was just too impatient to wait around or what, but it took me a long time to figure out how to blow out the candles. XD I get the feeling it was intended, but I got very frustrated for a while until the first one went out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:55 am Reply with quote
Well... I've just played it.
The feelings I had during the play and after it, are hardly comparable to anything I've felt before... It us pretty unique.
I loved the moment where you hears the esteps of someone getting into the cistern. And when the man with the saber is approaching you... man... it was extreme stressfull.
All the Terrace scene is beautiful. One thing that took my attention were the "modern objects"... the ipod... that "call me" in the matches box... the amplifier. I think that things grows the multiple interpretations factor.
The end of FATALE was GREAT! I felt like when you get out of an art gallery, or a cinema... when you get back to the real world but your mind is blinded by the fantasy world you have just abandoned. That was really cool.
The dance was beautiful. The shots at Salome while dancing and the fatc that you cant approach her, makes you desire her in some estrange way... By the way, Salome is so attractive... Great work Sato-san Smile
dandriel
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Mar 2009 Posts: 7 Location: Mar del Plata - Argentina
Anonymous wrote:
Well... I've just played it.
The feelings I had during the play and after it, are hardly comparable to anything I've felt before... It us pretty unique.
I loved the moment where you hears the esteps of someone getting into the cistern. And when the man with the saber is approaching you... man... it was extreme stressfull.
All the Terrace scene is beautiful. One thing that took my attention were the "modern objects"... the ipod... that "call me" in the matches box... the amplifier. I think that things grows the multiple interpretations factor.
The end of FATALE was GREAT! I felt like when you get out of an art gallery, or a cinema... when you get back to the real world but your mind is blinded by the fantasy world you have just abandoned. That was really cool.
The dance was beautiful. The shots at Salome while dancing and the fatc that you cant approach her, makes you desire her in some estrange way... By the way, Salome is so attractive... Great work Sato-san Smile

This is me. Sorry, forgot to log in :/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ToT
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
dandriel wrote:
I felt like when you get out of an art gallery, or a cinema... when you get back to the real world but your mind is blinded by the fantasy world you have just abandoned.

I know what you mean. And am very flattered by the comparison.
Fahnette
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 15 May 2009 Posts: 130 Location: In Newly-Wedded Bliss
I am buying this for my mum and sister (who is home from New York, yay!) for their birthdays. What an emotional experience! Such sadness in the Princess's eyes... that moment when you extinguish the light under her chin and she just blinks at you... she knows what she has been made to do and she regrets. I think the Dance at the end, in daylight with no one to watch her, is extremely powerful and sad. It's like she's dancing her sorrow and anger at what she was made to choose.

The spirit of the Slain One remains...
it hit me at about two in the morning that John may have been the disembodied spirit flying about and extinguishing the lights on the stage of his martyrdom. Thoughts?
EvilSeedlet
Posted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I kind of guessed at that about halfway through my first playthrough, that you were actually John. No way to be 100% sure (unless ToT tells us so) but that was the feeling I got.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seed
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 Posts: 502 Location: In UR Brainz, bee'n a deerz
I knew who we are immediately.

but yeah: the prescence of the mother (I assume) and the assasin, as the only other living beings in the scene, is... interesting.

I really liked some of the stuff that happened or that you saw when you put out the candles, like the MP3 player and the falling pearls...

I'm a little sad that the last candle was not the moon: I knew it would not be, but some part of me hoped.
h.
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
i'm sorry to admit i'm actually disappointed with Fatale... i played and enjoyed a lot both the Graveyard and the Path, but today... i didn't find Fatale as interesting, deep or meaningful as the other ToT games. also things such as the iPod or the amplifier simply annoyed me, because confronting an ancient story with modern items is, well, a cliché. "let's put Hamlet on a motorbike and suddenly it's contemporary art".
however, i'm still looking forward to your new games, and hope you don't mind my criticism!
Sherida
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't agree more with h. .. I loved your previous work but this lacked everything that I came to admire ToT for. The only feeling i got from it was annoyance when i saw the mp3 player. Besides that, nothing.. It was bloodless and lacked soul and deeper meaning
tuxidomasx
Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I felt the need to post my thoughts on Fatale. there might be some spoilers in it tho, so tred carefully.

------------
i read the play by Oscar Wilde shortly (like 3 hours) before playing Fatale.

i felt very immersed on various levels during the whole experience.

in the cistern, i felt like the prophet. the words on the wall-- i felt like those were the words i would be inclined to say if i was him. not just because they were the words of the prophet from the play... but IF i was a prophet, maybe i'd speak under some divine influence. and maybe that influence would be communicated to me like words on the wall. and when the music ended, i kinda half thought to myself "based on the story, theres a chance that somebody might come down here to kill me"

and sure enough, the door opened (i was playing with the lights off and my headphones on. very atmospheric. very immersive). if i was playing a traditional game, i would have been inclined to run around or something to not get killed. but i didnt. at that moment, i stopped feeling like the prophet and instead felt like an actor playing the part of the prophet. and my role was to die.

then on the terrace, i initial felt like some spirit form of the prophet, floating around in a kind of suspended-time medium.

and when i found the first light, i felt like something different-- like a different spirit. and the voices were voices that i was putting into the mind of Salome. i felt sinister. like i was a destructive force. and with each light i found and extinguished, i advanced my sinister plot more and more (headphones really worked well for this).

at times, i felt like something else. like a great architect. and this was a story i was telling to myself using the scene and props and actors as a kid would use toys to make their story.

and at other times, i felt like a stage director, and this whole scene was a play in a theater in the modern world with professional actors. kind of a tableau vivant where the actors pose for a scene, but do not speak or move. This was reinforced even more when I got close to the characters... you can hear their heart beat. Faintly see them breath or blink, as if they really were posing for a scene in a "living picture" type of art display. Even the modern objects like speakers or matchbooks gave the impression that, in a way, this was as much a display as it was a story. Like an interactive 3D painting.

I figured out all the commands through trial and error. But my favorite discovery was the 'P' button. I wasnt even sure what it did... i just noticed that pushing it made the slightest of pauses in the animation. From experience i figured it could caused by the system writing a large amount of data to the disk-- like a save function or (hopefully) a screenshot. Good thing i was right-- i have some pretty amazing shots during the epilogue dance.

Great game. I took my time and was very satisfied. Smile
Briker
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:20 pm Reply with quote
'Originally', Salome was under the influence of her mother, Herodias, and it was she, in fact, that had a grudge with John the Baptist and told Salome to ask for his head from Herod as a reward for her dance.

That's why I'm guessing she's there, on the terrace scene. If that's even her.... I think I remember at one point when I tryed to zoom in on her (mother) she pushed me away with her hand. With a very unsettling stare....
rinku
Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Sherida wrote:
I couldn't agree more with h. .. I loved your previous work but this lacked everything that I came to admire ToT for. The only feeling i got from it was annoyance when i saw the mp3 player. Besides that, nothing.. It was bloodless and lacked soul and deeper meaning

out of curiosity, did you (and h) read/watch the play first? i've the feeling that knowledge of the play is important in understanding the "soul and deeper meaning"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger