top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Yume Nikki

Santur
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote
This is a very strange (and often very creepy) little adventure game I discovered a while ago. Basically, you play as a girl (Madotsuki) with a mental illness who's not allowed to leave her apartment. There's not much to do in the apartment; you can play a pointless video game on the console, you can go out on the balcony, you can write in your diary (to save your game), and you can go to bed.

When you go to bed, you enter the dream world. The "dream world" is huge, and it's really easy to get hopelessly lost. If you do get lost however, you can wake yourself up and start again.
Hidden around the dream world are "effects" that you can collect that give you powers and change your appearance. There's 24 of them in total, and you need to collect all of them to end the game.

It's a free download. You can get it from here. Click the link that says "Yume Nikki v0.10 English" on the top bar.
Emriss
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
Oh, how awesomely creepy! And well done; I get that feeling I do when I start to realize I'm dreaming. Looking forward to exploring more!
Terabetha
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, I'm downloading now and I'll give it a try! Thanks for sharing!
Liëka
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That sounds absolutely briilliant! D8 Some elements of that reminds me of Cloud. I have to try it!
Santur
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:54 pm Reply with quote
It is brilliant. The design is so unique, and it's so wonderfully creepy and weird in its own way.
I finished it today...the ending is so sad. :c
Liëka
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Psjsjshhhhhhhhhh don't tell me anything. xD Though I guessed it would have.
Santur
Posted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry, my lips are sealed for you. ;P
Bane Rieko
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 28 Jul 2009 Posts: 7 Location: Nowhere and everywhere.
I have... *checks Yume Nikki folder* 3 copies of this game. One from Uboa-chan (your link), and two from the fansite Madotsuki's Closet. The bigger one from Closet gave me problems though...

I love all the stuff you can find in this game. Half the events are randomized so you don't really know what to expect!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Poppy
Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Santur wrote:
Basically, you play as a girl (Madotsuki) with a mental illness who's not allowed to leave her apartment.

You don't know that she has a mental illness, or that she's not allowed to leave her apartment.

My favourite Yume Nikki theory is actually the one where she is a survivor in a post-apocalyptic world, and she can't, or won't go outside because there's nuclear waste/zombies/etc. everywhere.
Chainsawkitten
Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I have very mixed feelings about this game. At some points, it is very atmosphereic, sometimes even slightly creepy. The concept is very nice and some of the worlds look great. But some worlds look hideous, quite honestly, and the level design sometimes feels very random and thoughtless.

Overall, a nice experience but I think it could gain a lot from skipping a few parts to become a shorter, but more enjoyable, experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
LastSummer
Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that does pass by this thread, I highly reccomend to play Yume Nikki. 'Nuff said. As for the most recent reply above me,

Quote:
The concept is very nice and some of the worlds look great. But some worlds look hideous, quite honestly, and the level design sometimes feels very random and thoughtless.

The events are meant to be random as how you find a couch in the middle of a forest or a piano with a stage. The art itself is meant to define the world (..or level.).

I reccomend for any gamer that likes symbolic games like The Path (and who as well like indie games.).
cloud vowels
Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the heads up on this game! Really weird, brilliant stuff. The mystery around its creator(s?) only makes it more compelling. It's like a Borgesian artifact.