top_image

<  News & gossip  ~  New maxis game - Spore

Verdalas
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
And thanks to millons of Sims download sites, you can make them personalised too. ^^

Here we have Abarai Renji (Bleach series), Pan the Faun (Pan's Labyrinth) and Amy Lee (Evanescence)

Quite a variety you can get. Wink
Lyrak
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
Yeah I've heard from somebody thatif you have the pets addon pack, there's a way to be a werewolf either via download or some random thing in the game. Can't remember where I heard it now but omg I want it. XD
Accario
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 14 Dec 2007 Posts: 64 Location: In Nightopia, flying with NiGHTS.
Crying or Very sad When is Spore coming oooouuuut? We've been waiting..What? Two years now? X_X
Verdalas
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Lyrak wrote:
Yeah I've heard from somebody thatif you have the pets addon pack, there's a way to be a werewolf either via download or some random thing in the game. Can't remember where I heard it now but omg I want it. XD

In the first sims you got abducted by aliens.. In nightlife you could become a vampire, so in pets they made it so your sim can become a werewolf. It looks freaky. xD
LK
Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I just watched all 36 minutes of the video in one sitting, it was so interesting and funny! I nearly laughed myself to tears when he introduced the 'Tweety Bird' and the 'Evil, Carnivorous Care Bear'. I love Will Wright, so innovative and has a bright imagination, lol. I heard of Spore before but wasn't really into it until now -- now I really wanna get it. Very Happy

Also, I couldn't catch what he was saying in the first 2 minutes, but it sounded like, when the little repitilian thing came out of the water, that there were other players as well? He also said, somewhere around 28-29 minutes in, that this one planet was made by another player. So, is Spore a sort of RPG-esque community, or when he said 'made by other players' he actually meant 'the creatures and planets were made by me or some of my pals' or 'we downloaded the designs from the web'?

One thing's for sure though, Spore is awesome and I really want to get it. XD
Verdalas
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:26 am Reply with quote
I think he means that, similar to the sim exchange, your computer could probably recieve information from another player's game via the internet and import it into the game. There isn't a multi-player aspect though, which I think ruined it. Me and my dad would compete forever against each other to play that..

And if you want hilarity in Spore videos (Because that 30min one had me dying of laughter) then take a look at Robin Williams playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5TXEUiR1Xk
LK
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I decided to read the whole article on Wikipedia and it answered my question:

Quote:
Wright calls the game a "massively single-player online game". Simultaneous multiplayer gaming is not a feature of Spore. The creatures, vehicles, and buildings the player can create will be uploaded automatically to a central database (or a peer-to-peer system), catalogued and rated for quality (based on how many users have downloaded the object or creature in question), and then re-distributed to populate other players' games. The data transmitted will be very small — only a couple of kilobytes per item transmitted, according to Wright. This was due to procedural generation of material.

During Wright's Long Now Foundation seminar with Brian Eno in June 26, 2006, he mentioned that players would receive stats of how their creatures would be faring in other players' games, referring to this as the alternate realities of the Spore metaverse. The game would report to the player on how other players interacted with them (for example, how many times other players made alliances with their race or destroyed their planet). The personalities of user-created species are dependent on how the user played them.

Awesome! I like this, especially the fact that you can find out what other people did to your civilization and creatures. Oooooh, now I really, really want this game! Time to save up some money. Wink

I'll check the video out right now. Robin Williams? This should be hilarious!
LK
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote
That video was... Omg... Downright amazing.

I nearly fell out of my chair when, at the end, he started walking around. So, so, so, SO FREAKIN' EPIC LOL.
sockpuppie
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:54 am Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Oct 2007 Posts: 663 Location: Through the seven levels of the Candy Cane Forest. Past the twirly, swirly gumdrops.
I've actually heard of spore before! Surprising, looks intresting Smile
Verdalas
Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I know! I couldn't stop laughing when I watched it first time.

Totally on my favourites for Youtube.
Lyrak
Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
I, too, have to wonder when this is coming out. Seems I first saw that demo a few years ago now.
LK
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:23 am Reply with quote
They started working on it in 2000, but it was finally confirmed that Maxis is making another game in 2005.

I heard it's coming at around March-April of 2008. I'm betting my money on March, though. Very Happy
NecrochildK
Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:51 am Reply with quote
XD I'm so looking forward to it, but it's been in the works, what, more than five years? I HOPE they finally release it this spring like they said before.
opale12
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
yeah they've been working on that for a long time, because, like Will Wright said in one of the many videos on this game I watched, the hardest part is not the graphics nor the "multi" system, the hardest part is how to make the game understand what leg to move, what arm to use, how the head must balance when you walk, as everyone will make a different "monster"

it must have been a loooooot of programming, so 5 years should do it Razz
Verdalas
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I think the release date has been confirmed at 3rd of March, 2008.

But there's also talk of a demo with the creature editor coming out.