top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  The Path - Prologue: free "demo"

ToT
Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Instead of making a trial version that allows you to play part of the game, we created a new chapter that takes place in the same forest but with a few things different. So even if you have played The Path, you might like to have a look at this.

The primary purpose of The Path - Prologue is of course to give people an opportunity to get a taste of the atmosphere of the full game and test our technology on their computer. Hopefully many like what they see and buy the full version.

Meanwhile, download The Path - Prologue here! (50 MB)
It's free.

PC only for now.
Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
A Mac version of the Prologue is also available now. Download it here.
Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:59 am Reply with quote
For a list of mirrors, check here.
lees
Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 pm Reply with quote
ohmy, the demo scares me. ._. I have something against the girl in white, and then you'll have to play her. ._. nono. Haha, I have to wait til' my boyfriend comes, I'm too scared to play alone xD

But the little I played, great demo, and i love that you made a whole new chapter! ^.^

(sorry for bad english)
BeeOfTheBird
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Heard about this game on NPR, and I knew I should check it out (hey, when NPR talks, I listen). I was really impressed with the demo, and now I'm itching to get the entire game. Let's be fair: I'm speaking from a non-gamer's perspective. Generally, I pretty much suck at action-oriented video games. Maybe that's why I found the demo to be so captivating. I love the element of exploration and the fact that it's not so much a "game" to be won, but an experience (and a genuinely unnerving experience, at that). Let me add that it's really exciting to see a video game designed with the aim of realizing and legitimizing the experience of being a young woman. I plan on purchasing 'The Path' as soon as I get a chance.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
NPR is getting us some pretty positive attention from unusual sources, it seems! ^^
Emriss
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Indeed. Actually, now that I think about it, seems to make more sense advertising a game-not-meant-for-gamers on something like the radio rather than, you know, videogame sites. Razz
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Yeah. XD But there aren't that many sources that would be willing to look at a videogame seriously, are there...?
Xanadu
Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Emriss wrote:
Indeed. Actually, now that I think about it, seems to make more sense advertising a game-not-meant-for-gamers on something like the radio rather than, you know, videogame sites. Razz

Not meant for gamers? Hardly. Designed to appeal to a broader audience, an innovative take on the medium definitely, but I promise you that the first people to clamor for, "The Path" being put on display next to a Picasso will be video gamers. And probably the ones who have devoted a large chunk of there free time to gaming.
Michael
Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
We are very happy to have made a game of which self-identified "non-gamers" say they would play it. Being more enthusiastic about the potential of the medium than the actual games being made with it ourselves, we hope that many people outside of the games culture see The Path!

We were frankly rather surprised by the positive reception within the games industry. Maybe the time is right. Or we had underestimated the desire of a certain group of gamers to play something different.
twins
Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
My grandmother lives on a farm out in the country. A golf-course adjoins their land, and as little'uns, we'd go walking in the scrubby trees and hills collecting golf balls until our pockets, scarves and whatever other makeshift carrying devices we could scrounge were bulging.
One of my favourite parts of ToT games is that you are free to make up your own game. For me, the prologue was all about the 144 flowers. There were moments where I could just let the girl wander from starry flower thing to starry flower thing, and everytime i looked around there'd be more. The forest is a different place for the girl in white. The ground is littered with stars.
It's a different place for the girl in white both characteristically and literally. She has no memories and no basket, so i had no fear. I was just wandering around picking up glowing flowers, a rather beautiful game.
I walked the wrong way up the road two loops of the forest, and saw the little chapel tower floating a foot off the ground, then when i made it back to where road meets path, it was gone from there, and had moved to just outside Grandmother's bridge. Does it do anything? it appears to be the only hint to her memories but she only tries to talk to ravens.

I really like The Path. Keep feeling like i'm missing out on bits, though, so i'm repeatedly putting off finishing it. I used to read choose-your-own-adventures the proper way a three or four times, then worry that i'd still missed out on something interesting and just go through cover to cover, which was so disconnected that it didn't help.
That's not really an option in this case. The score screen actually gave me a massive ammount of guidance, but it's difficult to find your way, the forest is different for everyone who enters. Not every red is able to find the same things, and even the things they do share aren't in the same places.
Interestingly enough, for the reds, once you lose sight of the path, the only way to get back is White. With White in the prologue, the path never disappears, either, she always knows where grandmother's house is, and the forest has a distinct end. It however, also seems a slightly more recently-on-fire place to her. I enjoyed the prologue immensely. Being in the forest under the auspices of the White is like Wonderland as the guest of the Cheshire Cat.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote
Nice interpretations/associations, twins.

The chapel is not supposed to float. Embarassed
It acts as a marker that tells you that the cemetary is that way.

Don't worry about missing out. There's no need to see everything. And you're supposed to suppplement what you see with your own ideas and fantasies. So it will never be complete and always be different.
humorguy
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
I am downloading the prologue as we speak. Had to make a comment about non gamer marketing:

My belief has always been that the gaming market (specifically the PC/Mac market) would have been much better off to have copied the book industry rather than the TV/movie business. Computer gaming is more about imagination and immersion, and interactivity is more like using your imagination when reading a book than letting TV or movie pictures 'float' over you passively.

Adventure gaming in general is the closest to books, of course, and I do not understand why classic adventure games were not packaged for and sold through book stores. Adventure games have a longer life too, and games like The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, Siberia, Grim Fandango and the Roberta Williiam's games should be sitting on book store shelves as proudly as any classic novel.

If you are going to attempt retail distribution, I would certainly try and talk book wholesalers into carrying the game and having it promoted and sold through book stores rather than game stores.

It has always occurred to me that the games industry is way too conservative for it's own good. By thinking outside the box you come to the conclusion, for example, that over 30 million American's visit Civil War sites and museums. The sort of people that do this are likely to have a PC at home. And yet, go into any Civil War museum gift shop and you see no civil war games, even though plenty have been made.

This is because no publisher is supporting this method of retail distribution, and yet, it is reasonable to assume that 100,000's of sales, at least, could be sold to those 40 million visitors! This is just one way that the computer game business needs to think outside the box, with a game like Graveyard and The Path I would heartily recommend it for Tale of Tales too!
Xanadu
Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
With the risk of throwing things off topic, I have to say that a WWII game done by ToT would be breathtakingly beautiful. The trap of power fantasy is insidious in gaming, and even more inescapable when the theme is war, much less a war so commonly done in the form of power fantasy. Seeing a game that addresses violence though a video game, from a developer that I suspect would not fall into makeing a power fantasy, could easily be gaming's Hamlet.
MyuNoUta
Posted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:56 am Reply with quote
Well, I just gave the demo a try this afternoon, and I gotta say, it's a nice change of pace from regular games. It does have a creepy feel to it (But I mean that in a good way), that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. And yes, I will admit, despite it being creepy in a good way, I did jump a few times while playing it.

Overall, a very nice preview. Once I get enough money (I'm currently broke at this point), I'm buying the full game <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger