top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  To score or not to score?

Do you like the score screen?

Yes. Keep it.  
64%
  [ 59 ]  64%

No. Remove it.  
35%
  [ 33 ]  35%

Total Votes : 92
BoxDroppingManApe
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
I liked having the score screen let me know how many objects I missed, even if it was easily deducible by looking at the inventory. Otherwise, I didn't find it all that necessary. The letter grade in particular was a little annoying.

That said, I did find the letter grade helpful on my first play through, when I ran directly for grandmother's house. It was a nice and 'subtle' clue that I was going about the game wrong.

So that said, my suggestion would be to have it on by default, but include an option to turn it off.
Chikazz
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am Reply with quote
Yes, but Xanadu, already people start up the game, choose a girl, see the message "and stay on the path", go straight to grandma's, get into bed, and wind up back at the start screen, wondering what the hell just happened. If they didn't get the message that they failed (or something of that nature), at the very least, then they may not look beyond that experience, and even bother, or even KNOW, to go into the forest.

*edit*

We're gamers. When we're given a quest, or a mission, or something of that nature, we do it. Okay, so when Pick Up The Phone Booth And Die told me not to pick up the phone booth, it was the first thing I did... Same goes for the sequel, but that time it was just for kicks. But The Path doesn't use reverse psychology like that. It opens up by telling you to stay on the path, not to stay out of the forest. And from what I've been reading of some people's first experiences, this is exactly what a lot of people are doing. Because they're used to it in games. Those of us who knew about the game for a while already knew we didn't want to stay on the path... But I'm not talking about us. I'm talking about people who approach the game with little or no prior knowledge.
Michael
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Nacery wrote:
If the score table is gonna be removed, that means that we can forget about adding steam achievements? Question

No. The two are not connected.
Nacery
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Nacery wrote:
If the score table is gonna be removed, that means that we can forget about adding steam achievements? Question

No. The two are not connected.

Ok, that's great news ! Very Happy
Michael
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
According to Mr Chen, being returned to the apartement, to what basically looks exactly the same as the start screen of the game, would be sufficient to tell players that they have "failed", that they did something wrong.

Your thoughts?
Chikazz
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Not necessarily. Not if they didn't know anything about the game. People might not know they could die. I can see someone all-too-easily thinking that's what's supposed to happen, because there's nothing to tell them otherwise, and they did exactly what the game told them to do.

*edit*

Granted, this doesn't mean the game requires a full scorecard. At least not one that's on by default, as others have mentioned. Just telling people who go straight to grandma's that they failed (JUST that they failed, nothing more) would be sufficient, to my mind. Nothing else would be needed.

And Michael, is there any way you can release a patch to remove the markers, or at least make them optional? They didn't go away after the epilogue, and starting a new game didn't work either. I'm going to try deleting my saves before I go and try a reinstall.
Viking
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:32 am Reply with quote
You don't even need to mention the fail. Keep the little messages that pop up 'You know what you have done' etc., and as things slowly unlock, they may get the idea and start noticing the signals if they keep just running to GMH.
Chikazz
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
If one runs right to grandma's, there's nothing else that pops up to tell you what you did, save the scorecard. Maybe we're saying the opposite thing, and you want to keep scores and remove the fail/succeed, making it more vague?
Ricardo
Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 pm Reply with quote
If the scoreboard is a joke, I dont get it...

I never thought about it before, but after reading the opinions in this thread, I agree to remove it, in order to reassert the fact that this "game" is something different.

Maybe some people follow the path to the house the first time, but I am sure that everyone intelligent enough will try the forest the second time. And the description in the official web page say:

Quote:
The teenagers are instructed to go to grandmother's house deep in the forest and, by all means, to stay on the path! Wolves are hiding in the woods, just waiting for little girls to stray.

But young women are not exactly known for their obedience, are they? Will they be able to resist the tempations of the forest?

For me that was a quite clear clue, isnt?
Xanadu
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
According to Mr Chen, being returned to the apartment, to what basically looks exactly the same as the start screen of the game, would be sufficient to tell players that they have "failed", that they did something wrong.

Your thoughts?

Play test it. My concern is that a player might assume that the girl is *supposed* to return to the room, and never get the point. After all, we only know that the girls are supposed to disappear, and that the girl remaining in the room is a failure, is because we have played it. A better method then a scorecard, however, would be a visual cue. Have the girl come back to the room, and look incredibly disappointed, or perhaps be mocked by the other girls. Something to indicate a state of stasis, and not proceeding with the narrative. Of course, as this is connected to the effect of the narrative, you are really the only people qualified to make that decision. But some visual cue to indicate failure and stasis would enhance the experience, and enforce your motifs, as opposed to insulting the player with out of place irony, as well as encourage the very kind of play experience you are trying to undermine.
Chikazz
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
Wow, Xanadu, that's brilliant, I love that idea! It's even better than keeping the fail message and losing the scores! Total props to you! Michael, I am backing Xanadu on this one, he's got a great idea here that doesn't break immersion, and you could still make the score screen optional in the menu for perfectionists, but you could default it to off with this idea.
redmech78
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
I'm still an advocate for the scorecard, as there's something just downright macabre about witnessing something vague and mysteriously disturbing happen to one of the girls, only to be faced with a big "SUCCESS!" afterward.

Call me creepy, but to me it's one of the things that defines the "game."

EDIT: After re-reading that, I think I may have sounded a bit like a predator, so uh... so let me round out what I was saying by also mentioning that it's the irony I appreciate, rather than the disturbing events themselves.

So, yeah. Hehe. Wink
Chikazz
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
Hehe, I hear you there, on both points Wink I also have a thing for the failure/success... but if it came down to bare bones "Is it absolutely necessary?" then I think Xanadu's idea would work.
Enny
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 am Reply with quote
I tried sharing the game with my brother (a somewhat traditional gamer, I might add). He chose to run straight to Grandmother's house, and upon reading the score screen, hit Alt + F4. He told me that he felt insulted by it and that the game wasn't worth his time. =/
Snatcher42
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I don't know. It seems the "failure" message is the first indication to many that there's more to see. On the other hand, putting the onus on the player to realize that for themselves could be very interesting. Maybe if the score screen is removed, make the map feature available from the start, to give some indication that there's stuff out there beyond the path?