top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  To score or not to score?

Do you like the score screen?

Yes. Keep it.  
64%
  [ 59 ]  64%

No. Remove it.  
35%
  [ 33 ]  35%

Total Votes : 92
ToT
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Jenova Chen suggested that we remove the score screen at the end of a chapter in The Path. What do you think?
Xanadu
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:59 am Reply with quote
I think remove it, but make it accessible via the menu. The story will flow better without it at the end, adding stats and numbers to the emotional finale, but being able to look at results will make people feel like there choices in the game were meaningful.
redmech78
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I think remove it, but make it accessible via the menu.

Or make it a toggle under the Options menu.

Show Chapter Scores: On / Off

But make the score screen mandatory for any case where a player goes straight to GMH, so that first-time players know why exactly they failed.
Xanadu
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
Good idea, but I say default i as being off. But good call on showing the screen the first time if you run straight to grandmas house, that will save a lot of headaches.
granite
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:11 am Reply with quote
My suggestion is to keep the screen. But remove the letter grade. So that way people know how many secrets they found. For the wolf say "You need to keep looking for the wolf" or "you found the wolf". Also, if I play the same character more than once, perhaps the score tally could be persistant or allow such an option.
evolvedant
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:29 am Reply with quote
I think the score screen should be completely removed, and instead there should be a log book that you can find. The log book would be accessible in the menu (or by a button) and would give you the information the score screen does, as well as possibly keep a record of interesting thoughts that appear on the screen and/or game hints even.

Besides, you have a bunch of girls, goth, who like poetry, and take strolls through a creepy forrest, with a high curiosity, and you are going to tell me they don't own a diary?
Matzerath
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
It should only come up if you collect all the flowers, tee hee.
Viking
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm of the opinion to remove it. From a personal point of view I've started to sicken myself playing it, attempting to 100% the damn thing. And that's ruining the magic. It's like looking at a work of art and all I can see are the chemical compounds of the paint.

One thing I would suggest, to perhaps aid in the longevity of the game, is for each item, every girl has a different quotation. Instead of allowing each girl to pick up an item and then you can just click on the menu to read the other girls quote, perhaps it cn be a requirement that you make sure every girl experiences every item? No idea how this would be implemented apart from either making the items re-appear again if you select a girl that hasn't collected them or perhaps only resetting all the items after you have completed a full run with all the girls.
redmech78
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From a personal point of view I've started to sicken myself playing it, attempting to 100% the damn thing. And that's ruining the magic. It's like looking at a work of art and all I can see are the chemical compounds of the paint.

And without that score screen, would you have realized this about yourself?

I think the (twisted) purpose of the score screen in to show us that we, especially those of us who have been gaming most of our lives, have been virtually trained to get the most points, find the most secrets, get the highest grade, collect all the items, max out our levels. Even for years of schooling we are trained to earn A's and not C's.

We often do not see the true beauty in our games because we are always trying to unlock achievements and earn rewards. It's a huge part of gaming culture.

It took a while, but I've finally decided that the score screen is merely a taunt. Much like the 144 flowers: although this goal may be far more reachable than an A ranking, the only real reward is the experience itself.

The most interesting thing in this thread so far is that many people are asking that the very same information from the score screen be available in a journal or log, or from another menu. Which means that it's not the scoring information itself that's truly bugging people; it's the screen that pops up after each chapter which informs you that while you have basically completed your task, you did so less than perfectly. I think that's what is truly getting under people's skins.
ToT
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Indeed. The Score Screen is an ironic, or even cynical, joke. It was in no way included to be taken seriously as an evaluation of your performance. So when we suggest removing it, we don't mean moving it to a less obtrusive place. The question is whether the joke works, whether it is necessary to understand/appreciate the game. Or if we could leave things more obscure, less explicit.
Viking
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm in agreement with all your saying there.
When I first started playing it, like any good game, the whole exploration and discovery elemt was still there. Then as more and more layers were removed and I became used to the game mechanics, it became more sterile for me as I stopped enjoying and tried to force something out of it that simply wasn't there in the first place.
It's definitely the gamer side of me being more annoyed at myself for not being able to get A ranking for all the girls (which I believe is impossible) and then starting to shout at the game for not being able to let me attain that ellusive rank.
I would definitely prefer that the basket screen stops displaying what items are needed for what girl. That point is the most annoying for me, especially as it becomes redundant the further you play and realise, it is pointless in the end.
Nacery
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
If the score table is gonna be removed, that means that we can forget about adding steam achievements? Question
Viking
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
I think basic achievements could be added, certainly along the lines of getting all flowers/items, enocuntering every wolf, getting to the final end, etc. I mean, if you've every played Eternity's Child then you'll know there is an achievement in there just to say 'Thank You' for buying the game. Smile
Xanadu
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:03 am Reply with quote
To be completely honest, the fact that its an ironic joke comes across to me as being a bit pretentious. I mean, such a high brow, thoughtful game like this is going to have that, based purely on the material, you really can't avoid some sense of pretentiousness. But going from such a metamorphosis of characters in the finale, to a blatant condescending statement to gamers is a bit of a turn off. If you want to break the mold, and teach players of games to value experience rather then achievement for your game, remove the scoring screen and let them adapt. They will meet the challenge, and grow from it. Don't insult them until they, "get it".

In general ToT, don't be afraid of interactivity. Games are supposed to be filled with players choosing there own path, and seeing the consequences of there actions, and that is a good thing. Even if the outcome is inevitable, free will during the journey is a powerful thing. Let your players play and explore the worlds you have made without putting them on rails. I think players will surprise you, because everything you have is wonderful. Don't be afraid, and hide behind gimmicks like this, because you are way too good for that.
Matzerath
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
All kidding aside, The Path would be better without the score-screen! But would this be the first game patch to only REMOVE a feature?!
It's kinda brave, actually, to self-edit after the fact. It reminds of the Director's Cut of the Coen Brothers 'Blood Simple' -- it had nothing added, but they removed several scenes!
Of course, in that case they also added the ironic joke of a fake film historian at the beginning extolling its virtues.
But I digress ...