top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  Solution for crash on startup

Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
I just thought I'd let you know in case it is helpful:

I had this problem where the game would not start tonight. I have the Steam executable but I downloaded it from the ToT homepage. I played it for a while and it was OK. Later on I quit the game and downloaded the latest beta drivers for my Nvidia graphics card (an 8800GT) and installed them. After completing the driver update (install, restart etc) I could not get the game to start. Instead I got a white box in the centre of the screen with audio. I tried the DLL fix and it did not work so I just rolled back to my previous drivers (182.06). Now everything works fine.

Maybe there is a clue in there somewhere for the technical people but honestly, it could just be the drivers as they were only the latest beta.
Michael
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thanks for the tip!
We will look into this.
We cannot, of course, support beta versions of drivers.
Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it isn't an issue with beta drivers, but new drivers that may require to run a video configuration. I have this problem,but I noticed other games needing to run video checks again too.
Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Im getting the same thing.

I downloaded Path from Steam
Tried to play, it worked.
Shutdown and played later, I get white window on screen and nothing happens. I had to end the app manually.

I'm not using beta drivers.
Michael
Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the information.
We'll look into this.

Is it fixed when you remove the Saved Game from your Application Data folder?

Does the error also occur if you run the game in a window first?
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
Guest wrote:
I got the same thing with my steam version of the game.
Worked perfectly after first startup, but since I get this white windows when I launch it.
I tried also the .dll and it didn't work. I updates my nvidia drivers but still the same problem.

This was my post... I have deleted local content and reloaded the path through steam again... and... it works ... what a wonderfully eerie game. Well done to the team at ToT
Michael
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
Thank you. Surprised

Tell all your friends!
Coadey
Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I was having an issue too, where a gray window titled "The Path" would appear, immediately followed by a "PathViewer.exe" crash with a Microsoft error report dialog.

At first the "PersonalEncrypt.dll" replacement didn't work, but after looking at the system, I found "dxdiag" was reporting out of date files. It even thought I had DirectX 8.1, when I knew I had 9.0c (on Windows XP SP2).

After trying to get DirectX re-installed (an impossible task, even with DirectX Eradicator, DirectX Happy Uninstall, and registry hacks to force an older DirectX), I just re-installed XP and applied all Windows Updates (including SP3).

That fixed DirectX (now reporting 9.0c properly), and after replacing The Path's PersonalEncrypt.dll, the game is now working great.

(This was on a Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, with Boot Camp 2.1, and Nvidia 167.63 driver for the GeForce 8600M GT).
Michael
Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote
Glad to hear you got it to work. Pity it took a reinstall of your OS.

Windows can be such a mess sometimes.
blueberryvoodoo
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote
i'm having similar issues: mine crashes my computer (which i don't understand because no application has ever done that) after i've chosen any of the girls in the apartment to start the game. tale of tales in yellow is at the top and the little red ...loading... icon at the bottom works for a few seconds, and then it freezes with a black screen, only those two items on it, and you hear the music begin to loop, that hint that everything is about to go horribly wrong. and then my laptop crashes and restarts itself. i'm so looking forward to this game Sad please please please make The Patch Wink
Michael
Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
A patch is available here. But I'm not sure if it will fix your problem. Unless is it caused by having too little memory or too slow a computer. The patch includes some new settings to reduce quality (and thus increase speed and reduce memory usage).
Posted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I got this bug now as well, game not loading and just showing a white screen in the middle of the desktop. This after not having played for a month.

First I reinstalled the game. But didn't work (I didnt uninstall first thou).
After that, I logged in on another user account on the same pc and started the game from the same installation, and it worked! For some reason I couldn't load my savegame thou. Not sure if it was because I was playing on another useraccount. So.. I downloaded this file from the first post (dll file), but that didnt change anything.

Regards,
Klaas
Michael
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Your games are saved in your Application Data folder, which is personal to each user of the machine. These saved games are not removed by the uninstall procedure. They need to be removed by hand.
sagesource
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 08 Jun 2009 Posts: 22 Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
I'm having the same problem -- white box in the center of the screen, sound, but no graphics. Nothing seems to work -- not the update file, re-installing, disabling hardware acceleration, or anything else.

My video card is an ATI Radeon 4670 with 1 Gb of memory onboard. The driver version is 8.612.0.0, dating from 28/04/2009. The problem began after I updated the driver for this card, but rolling back the driver does not seem to have solved it.

[Later]

The Prologue also crashes. In this case, I get a dialog box that lets me choose a number of options, but no matter which I choose, the game will not run. Either I get the white box in the center of the screen, or if Windowed mode is chosen, I get a tiny bar up at the upper left which when expanded is completely blank. In all cases, the Prologue soon crashes and I am asked to send an error message to Microsoft.

When the white box is up, it is clear that the game is running. The background sound noticeably dims when you press the Escape key, and if you right-click on the bar at the bottom and tell it to close, it does so in an ordinary manner (if it hasn't crashed already). It's just that the graphics are not making it to the screen.

[Later still]

Problems Solved

The problem was apparently caused by remnants of former video card drivers that were still on the system, in spite of the fact that I thought I had removed them. The Path seems to be very sensitive to these left-over odds and ends (not that it deserves to be criticized for that; Windows installations and removals are disgracefully sloppy).

I used a program called DH DriverCleaner.Net to remove the surplus crap and do a completely clean reinstall of my video drivers. I understand there are several other programs that can perform this task, but this one worked for me and it's relatively cheap ($10 USD).

After redoing the drivers, The Path itself ran fine but the Prologue did not run well at all. This was caused by the Prologue misreading the screen resolution, and I solved this problem by holding down the space bar and selecting the right resolution (shouldn't this panel come up by default the first time you run the Prologue?). Confusingly, for some reason, the game still did not get quite the right resolution (or I mis-clicked), resulting in it running but being very laggy due to continuous interpolation. When I went to the Options screen in game and chose the correct screen resolution at the bottom of the Options panel, these problems went away and it ran smoothly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
Sorry to hear about your trouble.

Thank you for sharing you you fixed it.

You have a point. It's probably a good idea to show the dialog box when you first run the game.