top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  Solution for crash on startup

ToT
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Some people have been experiencing a crash in PathViewer.exe right when the game starts up. Ferry Marcelis, Quest3D's main programmer, has found the reason for this: a faulty library.

Please download this file, unrar it and put the DLL file in the "channels" folder of your The Path installation to replace the file of the same name there.

Please let us know if that fixes to problem for you.

Last edited by ToT on Thu May 14, 2009 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
tommyfuny
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
sorry but it doesnt WORK!!!!! Sad
MourningCoffee
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
I tried the proposed solution, but the game still crashes with a white screen at startup. Sometimes I get audio, sometimes there is silence.
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:09 am Reply with quote
This fix worked for me. Thanks. Now it seems I've got to find a way to get the sound working. But at least now I'm on the right... "path."
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
Seems there is a sound option in menu... oops. Smile

So, sound working. game working. Testing it on my laptop before putting it on my puter. Seems to run okay with all the bells and whistles turned down.

Thanks to the ToT team for getting this game up and running (at least for me). I normally would be upset, but given the indie nature of the project, I think the wait will be worth it. I'm always willing to give independant groups a lot more slack on troubleshooting. Especially to a program that seems to be a very unique experience.

Thanks to everyone on the ToT side that has worked on helping us players get our games up and running. I can only imagine the problems trying to get something to work on various computers that are so vastly different.

Also thanks to the members of the community for offering suggestions to get the game working. I can now look forward to experience "the path" this weekend.
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Will those who still experience crashes on startup please describe in detail what happens? How do you startup the game? When does it crash? What's on screen when the crash happens? Etc.
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:34 am Reply with quote
Mine crashes as soon as I click on the icon. A white window pops up in the middle of my screen. It loads for a few seconds, then I can hear sound, but still only see a small white window. I tried using the .dll file, but it didn't work. ATI drivers are up to date, as is DirectX. I'm well beyond the required system specs.

The weird thing for me is, when I first installed and played the game, it worked fine. Everything ran well, but when I quit and tried to restart the game an hour or so later, I would get the white screen. Definitely getting frustrated. I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling, but still just a white window with sound that I have to close out.
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
I got the same thing with my steam version of the game.
Worked perfectly after first startup, but since I get this white windows when I launch it.
I tried also the .dll and it didn't work. I updates my nvidia drivers but still the same problem.
Michael
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:19 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the information.

So it's just the Steam version that is having a problem now? Maybe this will be fixed when we release a patch that includes this new DLL. Maybe Steam doesn't like it when you replace files by hand (maybe it even reverts to the old version automatically).

One thing you could try is remove your saved game from your Application Data folder. This would force the game to start up at the current desktop resolution.
Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I just deleted my saved game and after that the game start again normaly.
I played fifteen minutes without problems and then tried three five minutes sessions one after another (i quited the game between each). Look like everything is back to normal.
Thanks for the tip and this great game.
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Anonymous wrote:
Mine crashes as soon as I click on the icon. A white window pops up in the middle of my screen. It loads for a few seconds, then I can hear sound, but still only see a small white window. I tried using the .dll file, but it didn't work. ATI drivers are up to date, as is DirectX. I'm well beyond the required system specs.

The weird thing for me is, when I first installed and played the game, it worked fine. Everything ran well, but when I quit and tried to restart the game an hour or so later, I would get the white screen. Definitely getting frustrated. I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling, but still just a white window with sound that I have to close out.

^ That was my original post. I don't have the Steam version. I downloaded directly from Tale of Tales. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, applying the patched .dll, and so far nothing has worked. I keep getting the white screen. Are saved games stored somewhere that I can't find? Maybe there's a game save floating around somewhere that's corrupted? I have no clue, but I'm getting pretty frustrated right now.
dbuske
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Will those who still experience crashes on startup please describe in detail what happens? How do you startup the game? When does it crash? What's on screen when the crash happens? Etc.

Yes I run the non-steam version.
I have an Ati 9600 pro and 9.3 drivers.
I put the new dll into the required directory. The game tried to start up and I got a picture of a group of characters for a second, then the game crashed and I got the windows error program asking me to send the error date to MS.
I used the directory pointer app.
The q3d starter, I get a message saying it is not a proper 32 bit exe progam.
dbuske
Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I also tried to reinstall adobe reader. That did not help.
Michael
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:39 am Reply with quote
Anonymous wrote:
Are saved games stored somewhere that I can't find?

Saved games are stored in your Application Data folder. This is a hidden folder by default in your user folder in the Documents and Settings folder. At least on XP. On Vista it's a bit more complicated.
Michael
Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
dbuske wrote:
I used the directory pointer app.
The q3d starter, I get a message saying it is not a proper 32 bit exe progam.

I'm sorry, could you explain this a bit more?