top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  Digging around in file names [spoilers ahoy]

Azeltir
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:52 am Reply with quote
I greatly enjoyed my protracted playthrough of The Path (and am very happy to reap the benefits of completing the epilogue). Trying to find a way to get music from the game - a task which is deterred by the .cgr file extension - I read some interesting names of files, which give insight to what the developers think of the events of the game. Let these tidbits change your opinions of the game only so much as you want them to.

Data/Assets
Characters:
- GirlInWhiteWolf.cgr - Ginger's wolf, of course. But I was surprised that this wolf is supposed to represent the GiW, and not some relative of hers or whatever. I've seen them both in the same place at the same time, too.

Music:
- FeyWolf_knife.cgr - Violence in there, certainly
- MusicTrackDentist.cgr - Where's this?
- Woodsman_sexmoan1 - Also, 2 and 3. I think that kills any ambiguity here.

Textures
- MurderPictures[...].cgr - Replace the ellipsis with the relevant wolf name. So, the intention is that the girls are murdered - which makes the post-epilogue even stranger.

DramaPrincess
Motions
GirlInWhiteWolf
- ClapFrighten.cgr - I think this is the one where her hands go all over the place.
- Taunt.cgr - Not very nice, is she?

XRed (replace X with the relevant girl name)
- Ravaged.cgr - That's what they call the post-wolf walk.
- Panic.cgr - Only Ginger, Carmen and Scarlet seem to have this one. Maybe it's the web interaction.

WereWolf
- MoveHappy.cgr - And there doesn't seem to be a MoveAngry.cgr

CharmingWolf / WoodsmanWolf
- ActNervous.cgr - Suspicious indeed.

Scenes
(Also has the Murder sort of thing going on)

Well that's all for now. Very interesting things we can see about what Auriea Harvey and Michaël Samyn were trying to convey. Once again, our own interpretations of this work are very important - perhaps more so than the intended ones - so keep the discussions going!

Ben
FuBi0
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
Clapfrighten.cgr is an interaction with Robin I have noticed where for some reason her and the GIW clap in each others faces, back and forth frightening one another. I didn't quite understand it. I was thinking something like, since this was my first playthough and I was looking for hints into the girls past, that possibly someone who protected her had hit her or frightened her in some way. It's just an interaction though..

Actnervous.cgr, suspicious indeed. Who is really nervous? Maybe the truth isn't what it seems.
Matzerath
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
Very interesting! I saw some of those flying by during the install, but looked away so as not to spoil anything. File names can be very telling things indeed.
mosyneloath
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I have been interested in Ginger.
And the filename GirlInWhiteWolf really suggests a frightening discovery!
I want to see those friends who had discussed "How Ginger ends" could reconsider their opinion about the relationship between GIW and GIR.

Your discovery is astonishingly splendid!
T}{X a lot
Enny
Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
=D I went and looked at all those, too, after I beat the game!

I found the names of the wolves interesting - seconding all the comments on Ginger's wolf, but I was confused by the names of Scarlet and Ruby's wolves. I know I need to play Scarlet again because I just didn't get her ending, but I did not think that Ruby's wolf was charming.
Halowii
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:03 am Reply with quote
WOW Pretty AMAZING!!Thanks a lot, I'm gonna spend some time in it...
mosyneloath
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
Enny wrote:
=D I went and looked at all those, too, after I beat the game!

I found the names of the wolves interesting - seconding all the comments on Ginger's wolf, but I was confused by the names of Scarlet and Ruby's wolves. I know I need to play Scarlet again because I just didn't get her ending, but I did not think that Ruby's wolf was charming.

Maybe Ruby's wolf charms Ruby? I'm not sure. Whatever it doesn't charm me.
Laughing
Volponi
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:58 am Reply with quote
Azeltir wrote:
I greatly enjoyed my protracted playthrough of The Path (and am very happy to reap the benefits of completing the epilogue). Trying to find a way to get music from the game - a task which is deterred by the .cgr file extension

Well trying to rip the music from the game files could prove difficult. I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't know where to begin. Personally, I'm a fan of ambient music, so I really hope they release the complete OST for this game.

So far, I'll have to be content with the few songs I could find.
There's only one on the downloads page:
http://thepath-game.com/media/SafeSong.mp3

Poking around on http://www.grandmothers-house.net, I found two more. One on Ginger's page:

http://www.grandmothers-house.net/mediaz/CharmingWolf.mp3

And another one on Ruby's page:

http://www.grandmothers-house.net/mediaz/GirlInRed.mp3

That's all I've been able to turn up.
Xanadu
Posted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:16 am Reply with quote
I figure I will throw out there that file names, though reveling, are not 100% reliable. I know that there were many non-canonically named files in the original Half Life that led to confusion amongst the fan community. And, especially since the girls are referred to as names like, "Tomboy", I am led to believe that a lot of files were named in early stages of the game where things could still change immensely. I'm loving the illumination this brings about, but tread carefully.
ToT
Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 22 Apr 2008 Posts: 305 Location: Gent, Belgium
Indeed. Many of these filenames are given rather arbitrarily and in early stages of the project. Our engine doesn't like changing filenames later on, so we just keep the old filenames, even if the game design or story changes. Basically the names serve as quick ways of knowing what a file is. By no means are they attempts at conveying the actual meaning of the game. It's just more convenient than files that are called "GameFile001.cgr".