top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  Strange graphic glitches.

Chikazz
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
Well, I love this game! Period! But I have a strange issue. The game plays fine unless I leave it alone for a few minutes (no touching any buttons), or I minimize it and restore it. When the glitches occur I see things on screen that are hard to explain. Big slashes across the screen covering half of it, and strange white lines, happening a lot. The girls or wolves skeletons will flash through their bodies frequently. Really frequently. This keeps happening until I exit and reopen the game. But if I just go into the game and don't leave it alone at all, or I don't try to minimize it, then I don't have any problems except the rare flash of skeleton/eyeballs through the body.
I'll post my specs.

WinXP SP3
intel Core2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU
2x NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX (512MB each)
EVGA 780i FTW motherboard
2gigs ram
bonedevil
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
sorry I cant help but that does sound interesting!
REDfan
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:37 am Reply with quote
I think your graphics card doesn't meet the specs :S. That could be part of the reason.
Theberge1
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:48 am Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Aug 2007 Posts: 56 Location: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I'd doubt it don't meet the specs, it's a pretty much powerful card and he got it twice. Glitches are usually caused by outdated rivers or overheating. So try to update your drivers and take it slower on the overcloacking if your doing some.
REDfan
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:58 am Reply with quote
Minimum system requirements: Windows XP or Vista, 2 Ghz CPU, 1 GB RAM, 256 MB VRAM, recent Radeon or Geforce videocard of x6xx type (no integrated graphics)

Thus the reason I thought it might be the card. I dont know exactly how specific the specs are but I think I saw Michael post that certain different video cards may work but I dont remember entirely what the circumstances for that were.
Theberge1
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
The minimal specs are Geforce® or Radeon® x6xxx 256 Mo, not Radeon® or Geforce® x6xxx 256 Mo.

The naming system works differently with ATi and nVidia. With nVidia the first number (6, 7, 8 or 9) is the series. The second number is the "quality" of the card. So a 8800 have the same VRAM (video RAM) as the 9800, but the 9800 has a newer technology.

With ATi it's a bit strange and complicated, so I will point you to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon#Product_naming_scheme
Chikazz
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:16 am Reply with quote
Nah, these cards aren't brand new, but they can still run anything out there. Built this girl myself. Theberge1 knows what I mean. And I'm a she, not a he, Theberge1. Hehe. Not doing any overclocking (no point, when I never lag, my framerates are great), and I've never had any issues with overheating, all the fans I've got. I'm also pretty confident my vid drivers are the latest ones already. I'll redownload them off the site and try reinstalling, see if that helps, and let you guys know, but I just installed these drivers recently.
Chikazz
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:02 am Reply with quote
I found the problem. Still not sure what it was but it wasn't my drivers. I think it was my screensaver, but I'm not sure. I thought it was disabled, because I swear I turned it off, and it doesn't come up when I leave my pc, but the process itself was still running in the background. After I ended ~all~ unneccessary background processes in task manager, I stopped having the problem. And I know what they all are, so that's why the prime suspect is the screensaver, because itunes and my sound card software and such wouldn't do this... hmm...
Theberge1
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah maybe it was a little incompatibility problem. Those things can be a real pain in the ass sometimes. Anyway it's nice you solved your problem Smile .
Chikazz
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:15 am Reply with quote
Thanks guys. Smile
Michael
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:22 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thanks for sharing.

If you see glitches with the rendering of characters, you could also try changing the option to render the characters with a shader (could even be faster if your videocard is fast).
naardejood
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Virus scanners or any HIPS you have running will do that, too. Comodo screwed the pooch for me a couple times until I made it shut up. Oddly enough, I've noticed Vista's gadget bar will do it, too, though I know this doesn't pertain to your setup since you're running XP.