top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  PathViewer.exe Error

Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
@alriddoch: You do see your avatar, don't you?
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Yes, everything is working perfectly right up until I get too far from the path, and discover something. The most common case is that I see a girl in a white dress running through the trees, and as I get close it crashes.
alriddoch
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, the above post was from me. I didn't realise I wasn't logged in.
BtB
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote
alriddochs problem sounds just like mine. I also saw the white girl running through the wood, just befor it crashes
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
People had mentioned Adobe Acrobat reader. I actually didn't have it installed because I have Acrobat Professional. So I installed it and it didn't help.

I then uninstalled both programs and just installed Adobe Reader and it works perfect. Unfortunately I need Acrobat Professional for work. So I had to re-install it and now can't run the game again.
Michael
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information. There's a problem with The Path requiring the Visual C++ 2005 redistributable, or something. And I guess Acrobat Reader installs these. The engine programmer is looking into this. So expect a solution soon.
Vlado
Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote
my game crash when i try to run it. I intalled Visual C++ but nothing happend Sad I have notebook: Intel® Core™2 Duo T5900, 3072MB DDRII, ATI Mobility Radeon HD3470 512VRAM. thx
Michael
Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Your videocard is not suitable for 3D games.

But have you tried this?
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
@alriddoch: You do see your avatar, don't you?

Wait, your supposed to see your avatar? I never do so I figured it was a first person game even though the screenshots made it seem like third person...

I've tried the C++ fix and the library fix and neither work for me, I always crash a few seconds after the game becomes playable and the controls are done being shown.
djkid
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:11 am Reply with quote
Anonymous wrote:
Wait, your supposed to see your avatar? I never do so I figured it was a first person game even though the screenshots made it seem like third person...

This happened to me too.
The desktop shortcut the game creates is not the proper one. If you go into the file where The Path is installed (C:\Program Files\The Path) there is a shortcut. Initiating this shortcut instead of the .exe will load the proper game. The only time the game is meant to be first-person is in grandma's house.

I have not the slightest idea why this happens.
Michael
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
djkid wrote:
The desktop shortcut the game creates is not the proper one.

Really? What version of the game are you using (the installer purchased on our website or the Steam version)? What Operating System? Did you install The Path in the default directory?
djkid
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's actually a friend's copy of the game until I get the money to buy the game for myself in a few days. She burned the .exe from the website to a disc for me, and I ran the installer like normal. However, double-clicking the shortcut created brings up this window:

The shortcut points to "C:\Program Files\The Path\PathViewer.exe"

Running the file causes the game to load in a first-person perspective, where you have limited control over your girl.

Perhaps the .exe became corrupted upon burning? I haven't noticed any one else mentioning these problems, so I'm thinking it's a user issue among people that are trying to share the game, either with good intentions amongst indie circles or just for the sake of sharing.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to mention that I run XP SP3, and she runs Vista.
Michael
Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:43 am Reply with quote
I hope you understand that we cannot give support to people who did not pay for the game. Thank you for admitting it, though. But please, find 10 Dollars somewhere, spend it on The Path and start bathing in the luxury of our love and attention.
jdh
Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:46 am Reply with quote
so did the pathviewer.exe / adobe pdf reader problem get solved?

I got both the prologue and the path off steam, both worked fine. Now neither works, and I realise after reading this forum that I have installed adobe pdf reader since I last ran them. Tried reinstalling the path, uninstalling adobe, and installing the vc++ runtime from the MS website. No luck - any fix info appreciated.
gikile
Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I just got The Path today frm steam, and Im surprised that this conversation was almost two years ago.
the point is I saw ToT tried to solve this problem about pathviewer.exe, but nothing else was successfully solved.

I just got The Path today and tried to start an application, but it was crashed and says there was an error at pathviewer. exe
So, there is no clue or "perfect" patch for this error?

my PC spec
windows7
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM 4gig
GTX460