top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  PathViewer.exe Error

Bjorn
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I installed the files succesfully, but the problem seems to remain unaltered. Can it have anything to do with the type of video card ? Mine is sufficiently powerlfull, but of a different type then usual. I have a nvidia quadro 3220M, wich equals about a geforce 8
Bjorn
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I forgot, my other specs are 4 gigs of RAM, Intel core 2duo 9300 (2.5 ghz) Windows XP Professional
MourningCoffee
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I am having the same problem with the game, which I purchased from Steam. When the game launches, I get a white screen and the "PathViewer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message.

I checked for the files Michael mentioned and they are located in the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the path
cr80_Q3D.dll

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the path\3rd
cp80_Q3D.dll
cr80_Q3D.dll

C:\Windows\system32
shlwapi.dll
kernel32.dll
user32.dll
advapi32.dll
ole32.dll

I uninstalled the game, installed the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package, re-installed the game and this did not help.

Here is my system info:
CPU = Quad 3.0 GHz
RAM = 2 GB
Video Card = NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
OS = Windows XP

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
brof
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Hi, same problem, BUT

yesterday the game was working fine and I could play with 2 characters,... today I did want to continue, but I get now the above error....

I chose the game option to reset, so that my friend could start the game from the beginning (this was when the game was OK)...

but now I always get the error on the first room loading screen...

as I said: the game was running well with 2 play throughs. I was using the steam version...

nvidia 6600 GT
3000+ AMD
2 GB Ram
celebdae
Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Double-checked everything again today. Didn't fix it, but I did find the files in the C:\Windows\system32 folder.
Michael
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:22 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We're going to consult with the programmer of the game engine about this.
Tom
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering, would people suggest I avoid the steam version of the game for the time being then? Or is the bug fairly rare...?

I'd rather buy the steam version so it's tied to my steam account and can be played on any PC, but then again, I'd rather not buy it and then have to wait while you get the bugs sorted before it'll run.

Hmmmmmm....advice please!
Bjorn
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote
I have the stand-alone version and I do have the bug. For as far as I know, it's not tied to the type of version you use.
Bjorn
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Ok, something very weird just happened. Out of boredom, I tried starting the game yet another time, and now it worked. I tried it again, and at least I'm getting to the screen with all the girls.

I can't really think of what I installed. I installed java, but I think that was before I installed the path. What did strike me as weird was that I just installed the adobe pfd reader. Now, in the path folder, there was up until then only one file, the user manual in pdf-format, that I couldn't open. Is this file somehow linked to the start-up procedure ? Maybe it crashed because it couldn't read that particular file ?

It sounds strange, but I can't think of anything else that I altered.
Garnet
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I had the same problem but now it's working!

Before I'd installed it on my laptop and the laptop was plugged into its base (and thus attached to the wall) but I just took it out of the base and tried again and The Path is working!

I'm terrible with computers and such, but maybe it has trouble working with some things the computer's attached to...?
brof
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Hi again,

after reboot of my computer, now both versions work again (steam and standalone windows versions)...

here what I did:

installed steam version -> working without reboot
next day : after reboot -> not working

several times uninstalled steam version (no reboot)
reinstalled steam version -> same error
installed windows version -> same error

last thing I did: reboot -> both versions are working for now... but I will always fear, next time I startup it will not work...

strange,
cheers
celebdae
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:06 pm Reply with quote
After reading bjorn's post, I updated Adobe Acrobat on the off chance that it would work....and it did!

Haven't played yet - thought I'd post to help others first - but it got to the 'choose a girl' room ok at least.

I'll update once I've played a bit more.
celebdae
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Still crashing, but not at the same point.

I can choose a girl, when I reach the "Tale of Tales Presents" screen, it appears to lock up. Once it came up with the "PathViewer.exe has encountered a problem" message, but mostly I've had to resort to the reset button.
Xiira
Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I first installed The Path on my laptop, which turned up the PathViewer error while trying to start up. My desktop computer has Adobe Reader and The Path plays beautifully on it, so after reading the posts suggesting that could have something to do with it I installed the Reader on the laptop. And the game works on it now! Too laggy to play on the thing, unfortunately, so I can't say whether the same error pops up at different intervals.
alriddoch
Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
I have the same problem as BtB. Everything seems to run fine, I can walk along the path to the cottage, get to grandmother's room, and it finishes. If I leave the path, as soon as I see something interesting, I head towards it and the game crashes giving an error with PathViewer.exe

CPU Xeon 5140 2.33 GHz
RAM 3.00 GB
Video NVIDIA Quadro FX 3500
Windows XP Pro. fully updated.

Many other game work generally well.

More info available on request.