top_image

<  The Path - PC problems  ~  PathViewer.exe Error

dalekurt
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
I just bought the game on Steam and downloaded it. It seemed to install without any problems. However whenever I try to open the game a message pops up saying:

"PathViewer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I double checked Direct X and several other things, but everything seems to be up to date. What do I do to get this game to work?
Ericson
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
What are your system specs?
dalekurt
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I tried re-installing and that made no difference. My system info is:

Windows XP
Service Pack 3
Dual 2.66 Intel processors
4 gigs of ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600XT
700+gigs for hard drive space
celebdae
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I've had a similar problem with my copy from Steam. Error message says "PathViewer.exe has stopped working". Checked the usual culprits - out of date drivers, defragmented, uninstalled/reinstalled, etc. - with no improvement.

My system info is:

Acer Aspire 3100 laptop
Vista Home Basic
Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ 2.00 GHz
766MB RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 1100
REDfan
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
@ celebdae

Apparently you don't have enough RAM according to the system specs they've posted (1 GB)... Whether or not this is actually the problem I have no clue. Your videocard may be the right brand but the wrong type also. Again, not 100%, but I hope this might help.
Ericson
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone downloaded a working copy from Steam? I got mine from D2D.

I really don't know. Your problems seem the same, but your specs are sufficiently different enough to not really give any information. Drivers and DirectX are up-to-date I assume?
REDfan
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I got mine from Steam and it worked just fine. I can't give you my specs unfortunately because I'm at work... But yeah, played through with one girl and no issues.
celebdae
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Yep, drivers and direct x were among the first things I checked. I uninstalled a pile of stuff and defragged it just recently, too. It may well be the RAM with mine, although I've pushed my luck with it before and it's been ok...I've even got Oblivion running on it, albeit jerkily...

But I admit to not being very tech-savvy, and I've never been good at matching up system specs.
dalekurt
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I've spent a good 4 hours double checking everything. I'm not sure why mine isn't working. I can run "Left 4 Dead," "Fallout 3," and "Dawn of War II" without any kind of problems.

From what I can tell my computer meets the listed system requirements so I'm at a loss as to why I can't get it to work. Then I can't find any kind of tech-support at Tale of Tales. So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do other than feel like I've wasted $10.
REDfan
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm this may be insulting but its not intended to be - but you all uninstalled the game, and reinstalled it along with checking all that other stuff right?

Other than that ToT are in SF for a while so I dunno if they're in a position to help people out from there for the time being. Maybe wait a few days? Try posting on the blog? They might see that first before they see these posts.
celebdae
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Uninstalled and reinstalled four or five times. Although the first time, it used the generic Steam symbol for the shortcut instead of the proper icon. Didn't do that again, though.

No offense taken; the obvious can be easy to forget, especially with computers. Just last week I discovered that the reason my touchpad hasn't work for six months is that the mysterious button next the the 'mute' key is 'enable/disable touchpad'. I only found out when I hit it by accident.

I'll probably wait for a few days before pestering ToT directly if they're away. I should really be writing an essay, anywway. I'll keep an eye on here, though, just in case.
Auriea
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
Hi,
we are aware that on some computers people are getting this error. We are trying to track down the problem. Michael will show up in this thread with some suggestions just as soon as he gets a chance. We solved it on one computer.... so don't give up, we'll try to get you up and running.
Michael
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We're looking into this problem.

Please help us by describing what happens.

Does the game crash immediately on launch? Does the crash report point to highpoly.dll as the culprit?
If so, please check if the following files are on your system (they are needed by highpoly.dll):
CR80_Q3D.DLL
CP80_Q3D.DLL
SHLWAPI.DLL
KERNEL32.DLL
USER32.DLL
ADVAPI32.DLL
OLE32.DLL
The should be either in The Path's folder or in your Windows folder.
BtB
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Hi,
I get the "PathViewer.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." Message. I have tried it several times and it happens always at a similar piont. Once I leave the Path an venture into the forest (so far that I can just about make out the Path in the distance) the game crashes. The screen goes black tand I get the error message.
But when I stay on the Path I can go all the way to grandma's house and sit by her bed. If I enter the forest but stay rather close to the path game runs fine as well. The error occures only once I enter deeper into the forest
...well, you are told to stay on the path.

I hope this helps and I hope you find a fix soon! Smile
Jensen
Posted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
message deleted.
was in wrong topic.

Last edited by Jensen on Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:07 pm; edited 2 times in total