top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  Abiogenesis beta-testing

Michael
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:30 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
This week, we will be working mostly on the Abiogenesis system. So as we are testing, strange things will happen throughout the day (we work in the same forest that you play in Smile ).
Every night, we will have a half hour try-out performance, just testing the system and practicing our divine skills in preparation of the performances that will take place on 15, 16 and 18 February during the Artefact festival here in Leuven.

I don't think we'll have fixed times for these test performances but I imagine they will take place some time between 10 PM and 1 AM (GMT+1). Hope you can catch us some time. Smile

You'll need either the version 1.5 beta screensaver or -to be really on top of things- the streaming client.
Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:27 pm Reply with quote
For the test tonight, you should download the latest version of the streaming client.
Guamgirl101
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:52 am Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to witness tonight's Abiogenesis, and it was great! Smile I was the nameless deer that kept running after you guys, since I didn't want to let you out of my sight and miss something special. Anyway, I'm grateful that I made it until the very end of it, since towards the end my computer was running the game so slow that I knew it was going to kick me out of the forest at any moment (and it did, just a minute ago). Ah well, it's my computer that's the problem.

Still, what I managed to witness was amazing. I finally got to see all the neat things that other people describe here, such as the weather changing to snow and back, day turning into night, etc. I wish that I could've taken screencaps, but since I never seem to be able to find the c:\temp folder on my computer, I don't know where any screencaps I may have taken end up to, so I managed only one screenshot using the Print Screen button on the keyboard; I'm not too happy with what I captured since there was so much I wanted to get a picture of, such as me next to one of the little girls that appeared, but I didn't time it right.

It seemed as if I was the only one awake and running around in the forest for a while there, but then I finally noticed some other deer joining me as so much kept happening. Flower bombs, circles of flowers in the sky (I particularly liked the roses Smile ), falling stones, little girls...the thunder really startled me the first time I heard it, but I liked it, as well as the lightning. There were also walls that suddenly sprung up from the ground; they were either walls of fire or just regular-looking walls. Anyway, too much happened for me to remember, and it was fun to be there.

EDIT: How could I forget! I got a kick out of hearing, "Doe, a deer, a female deer..." Why didn't I see that coming? Laughing
Nemesis
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote
Yep, it was a great show. I downloaded the streamer and got in just in time. Although I saw the lightning, I didn't hear the thunder. I may have still been loading at the time. I DID hear tarzan though, lol. I'll deffinately be using the streamer server from now on I think. Smile
Guamgirl101
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:34 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I seemed to have gotten in just in time, too. And I KNEW I heard Tarzan! I thought I was losing my mind at that point, but at the same time I wondered if I should be looking more carefully at the trees...
Pete10
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:16 am Reply with quote
No fair! My mother made me to go to bed when it was starting! Cant you make the next one a little earlier? Please... Smile
Michael
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote
Haha. Good to hear you enjoyed it. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
(and thank you for helping us test this system!)
So far, we're just playing with the system, trying out different things, in preparation of the real performances next week.
We'll try do do a test like this every night (GMT+1).

Pete10 wrote:
No fair! My mother made me to go to bed when it was starting! Cant you make the next one a little earlier? Please... Smile

We can try. But usually we do this after our work day. And it can get pretty late.
I promise that we will do performances later at different times in the day (also because people are in different time zones). But now, we're working hard in preparation of the festival.
Michael
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:22 am Reply with quote
There is a new version of the streaming client available here:
Arrow http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest/downloads/TheEndlessForestStream.zip

In the future, we will post the streaming client always to this URL, overwriting old versions.

The music should play in this version.
See you tonight! Smile
Michael
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
Here's a picture of yesterday's test:

Guamgirl101
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
Hmmm. Let's see, which one am I? Rolling Eyes Now that I've figured out the screencaptures thing, hopefully I'll be ready for the next test you guys do. I'd like to get at least a few screencaptures, especially if the weather changes. That was a beautiful effect.

So we don't actually have to download a new version of the client since the one we downloaded previously automatically gets new files/things that have changed the next time we load the game, right? Just making sure I understand the readme files that came with the download.
Michael
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
Guamgirl101 wrote:
So we don't actually have to download a new version of the client since the one we downloaded previously automatically gets new files/things that have changed the next time we load the game, right? Just making sure I understand the readme files that came with the download.

That's correct. On startup, the streaming client downloads the latest version of all files from our server.
And since we tend to upload new files right before we do an Abiogenesis test, it's a good idea to restart the client right before we start.
We'll give you a few "warning shots". Wink
Guamgirl101
Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
I doubt I'll miss those "warning shots." Laughing
shaeffer
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
LOL, wow I missed it... BUT, I turned my monitor on...
I normally sleep by the Twin Gods, and when I looked, they weren't there... suddenly... they came floating back, and settled onto their pedestal. I just just missed it, haha.
Nemesis
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
I think they must have been a little earlier tonight as I dropped in twice and hung around a while but no dice. Must be trying to keep us on our toes, lol.
Michael
Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote
Haha. We're just doing this to test now. We're working very hard and it's difficult to time when we will get started.

Perhaps we can post it to our RSS news feed when we start. Would that help?