top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Syberia

eusebius
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 10:14 pm Reply with quote
to buy or not to buy?

The lawyer Kate Walker has been entrusted by the Universal Toy Company to negotiate the takeover of an old luxury toy and automaton factory. Over the centuries, the factory has been developing clockwork devices, specializing in perpetual mechanical movement. The factory's ambitions, however, are ill-suited to the contemporary economic climate, and the elderly Anna Voralberg, at the helm of the Valadilene factory for more than half a century, has decided to sell up.

It turns out that the takeover might not be as straightforward as expected. The day that Kate Walker arrives, Anna Voralberg is being buried. What is more is that she has left an heir – her brother Hans. But Hans had left the valley at the end of the thirties and never returned, and was actually believed to be dead. However, a letter written by Anna in the days leading up to her death reveals that Hans is well and truly alive and living somewhere in… Siberia! Valadilene's elderly notary entrusted to take care of Anna's affairs suggests that Anna find Hans Voralberg as he is now the only person in a position to ratify the sale of the family business. The player will take on the role of the heroine, Kate Walker, as she sets out on her long journey eastwards, encountering cities along the way bearing the mark of Hans' genius, cities that still exude the bygone days of the twentieth century in so many different ways.

Recommended system requirements

Pentium III 500 MHz processor

32 Mb compatible Direct3D (DirectX 7) 3D graphics card

128 Mb RAM

CD-Rom 24X
Michael
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
There's a demo! Play it!

I have. It's more like an interactive movie than a game. The characters are 3D but the backdrops are flat. The game consists of pointing the character to go to certain places and asking the right questions. She can also phone people with her cell phone, which was a funny detail.

It's all about the story. I couldn't tell from the demo if the story was worth it.

I'm not buying it. If I want stories, I'll read some Kafka.
eusebius
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 12:46 pm Reply with quote
I like it… till now. The birds, the birds! And the entire atmosphere…
Michael
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The birds? Surprised
eusebius
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Birds that sings, birds that wing as they are alive! Birds bring the perspective in flatness of the background. Even they sing on different way through the game! I love these details
Michael
Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Have you figured any symbolic meaning they might have?

Or are they simply ornaments?
Auriea
Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 9:27 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
http://www.gamespy.com/reviews/september02/syberia/index.shtml
Michael
Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:34 pm Reply with quote
We keep wanting to play this game but every time we play the demo we are disappointed by the simplistic game play. The narrative is appealing but maybe they should have written a book?
eusebius
Posted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:03 pm Reply with quote
There’s no material for a book here. Syberia magic is not about gaming/strategy. It’s quite simple and predictable. But persuasive atmosphere is thrilling. I like it. It reminds me on the “Wizard form Oz” landscapes. >>>> My English sucks. I wish I could discuss this subject on Russian, Macedonian, Croatian or Serbian… Sorry. Send me your new address. I have a little present for you two.
fook_yu
Posted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:03 pm Reply with quote
OMG! Syberia is the best adventure game since Grim Fandango! It Rules! Benoit Sokal is really an artist and we can see this in his game! It is so poetic!
Michael
Posted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:02 pm Reply with quote
We just spent 6 hours of our lives on Syberia on Playstation.
There is indeed a lot to say for the atmosphere. But did they really have to make the game so boring, stiff and cumbersome. How hard could it have been to make Kate just walk down stairs rather than having to click to see her shift to the exact middle of the stairs before she can go down?
And why oh why are there never any pleasant characters in adventure games? Kate Walker is shallow at best and all the characters she meets are all annoying and nasty.
Why does the game allow the player to do the same stupid thing over and over again when he or she is not supposed to do it in the linear progress of the game anyway? I literally fell asleep while playing Syberia! So much for interactivity's advantage over television and film.
And last but not least: why is there no emotional involvement whatsoever? I would like to care about Kate (and her boyfriend or her mom even) and about the villagers and professors. But the whole story is told from a distance, as if it was seen through the lenses of the sophisticated rendering techniques of the backdrops. It's cold and matter-of-fact.
Throughout the game, I kept thinking what a waste these elaborate (but not really beautiful) stage sets were. So much energy must have crept into making them.
Syberia leaves a memory like the one from reading a book. Or rather one page of a book, of the introduction to a book, in which nothing much happens. One page that you read when you were extremely tired and you kept losing the thread.
fook_yu
Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
We just spent 6 hours of our lives on Syberia on Playstation.
There is indeed a lot to say for the atmosphere. But did they really have to make the game so boring, stiff and cumbersome. How hard could it have been to make Kate just walk down stairs rather than having to click to see her shift to the exact middle of the stairs before she can go down?
And why oh why are there never any pleasant characters in adventure games? Kate Walker is shallow at best and all the characters she meets are all annoying and nasty.
Why does the game allow the player to do the same stupid thing over and over again when he or she is not supposed to do it in the linear progress of the game anyway? I literally fell asleep while playing Syberia! So much for interactivity's advantage over television and film.
And last but not least: why is there no emotional involvement whatsoever? I would like to care about Kate (and her boyfriend or her mom even) and about the villagers and professors. But the whole story is told from a distance, as if it was seen through the lenses of the sophisticated rendering techniques of the backdrops. It's cold and matter-of-fact.
Throughout the game, I kept thinking what a waste these elaborate (but not really beautiful) stage sets were. So much energy must have crept into making them.
Syberia leaves a memory like the one from reading a book. Or rather one page of a book, of the introduction to a book, in which nothing much happens. One page that you read when you were extremely tired and you kept losing the thread.

I'm not agree with you! Oscar, Momo, hans... these are not very charismatic characters? They are all interresting! Even more in Syberia 2 with Hans, Malka, the Patriarch etc. etc!

No emotional involvement? are you senseless or what? sorry to say that but this is the most emotial game i've ever played! Less emotion than an Half-Life, Doom or Mario maybe?! You are the first one who say that!

Sorry if the text isn't very gramaticaly correct.. I still need to pratice my english Razz
Michael
Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:32 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't compare it to Half Life and Doom. Those games are toys. They are not about emotion at all. Syberia pretends to be about a story and about characters. But now that you mention it, in practice there is little difference between Syberia and Doom. In Doom you shoot monsters, in Syberia you solve puzzles. And there's not much else to either of the two. In my humble opinion, that is, of course.

Syberia is a succesful game. So many people must like it a lot. I realize that my opinion may be an exception to the rule. Maybe my expectations of games are too high. Or maybe I just don't like games. In which case, my opinion would be irrelevant to the extent that games are only made for gamers.

Don't get me wrong. There is alot to be liked in Syberia. I did spend 6 hours playing it. Which is a lot more than what I spent on Half Life or will be spending on Doom III. I like the peaceful atmosphere of Syberia and the lack of pressure. I guess I'm dissatisfied with the "game-ness" of it. It could be so much more.

I have played an English translation. I guess I should try the French version. Maybe the characters are better expressed in French.
fook_yu
Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 1:12 am Reply with quote
I don't know if there is a big difference between english and french version, but for sure, the voices in the french version are excellent! This doesn't happen often Razz so when it happen, we notice it Wink

But the best voice acting in a videogame is, far in the front, Grim Fandango! This little mexican touch in the voices is AMAZING! Don't know if the original version is as good as the french one, but it's simply perfect !