top_image

<  Forest Design Issues and Ideas  ~  Ask the developers!

Sluggs
Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
I've created this thread, so you can ask the developers those questions you were too afraid to ask! Evil or Very Mad

Here are some questions from me...

1) Where did you get the idea for The Endless Forest?

2) How long did it take you to create a releasable Phase 1?

3) Why did you remove the Souls?

4) Roughly, how many things are hiding away in the current version, that we still haven't seen yet? (You know, unused pelts, models, stuff like that?)

5) How well is The Graveyard selling?

6) What's next after The Path?

7) Do you have any secret projects going on? Laughing (I guess you're not really going to answer that one!)
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:50 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THREE. (Or at least, I think I do.)

3. They for a special show/exhibition thingy, which ended.

I also have questions, but some of them are personal-ish, so feel free to decline them.

8. What is UP with the hell.com domain name?

9. Do you guys ever have RAGING SCREAMING ROWS like my parents, and does that affect your work?

10. Any idea on 8's return...?

11. Why'd Auriea move to Belgium and Michaël not move to America?

12. And was that hard for Auriea, being in a new country?

13. Are you ever going to publicly air the features list for Endless Forest?

14. How many days until the next Red Girl?
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Sluggs wrote:
I've created this thread, so you can ask the developers those questions you were too afraid to ask! Evil or Very Mad

I'll try to answer quickly... Surprised

Sluggs wrote:
1) Where did you get the idea for The Endless Forest?

On a train ride through the Ardennes when driving back from Luxembourg where we were invited to submit a proposal for a project. We were there for a presentation with Benjamin Weil in some bank building. The Mudam didn't have a museum building of its own yet at that time.

Sluggs wrote:
2) How long did it take you to create a releasable Phase 1?

Apart from the initial prototype stage, the production of Phase One took about five months.

Sluggs wrote:
3) Why did you remove the Souls?

They were triggered by visitors to an exhibition. When the exhibition closed, they weren't triggered anymore.

Sluggs wrote:
4) Roughly, how many things are hiding away in the current version, that we still haven't seen yet? (You know, unused pelts, models, stuff like that?)

I think you've discovered most things.

Sluggs wrote:
5) How well is The Graveyard selling?

In terms of return-on-investment, not well at all. But in terms of "oh cool they're buying our game", very well! Smile We'll release detailed information about this in the final part of our post-mortem.

Sluggs wrote:
6) What's next after The Path?

Only one is certain: a short game in the vein of The Graveyard but even more of an "explorable painting".

Sluggs wrote:
7) Do you have any secret projects going on?

All our production focus is on The Path now. But we are working on the concepts of several other projects.
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
I KNOW THE ANSWER TO THREE. (Or at least, I think I do.)

We could make this a quiz instead! Wink

Wildbluesun wrote:
8. What is UP with the hell.com domain name?

I'm not sure what's going on there now. But at the time (1999), it was a gathering place for artists who used the internet as their medium. It's where Auriea and I met.

Wildbluesun wrote:
9. Do you guys ever have RAGING SCREAMING ROWS like my parents, and does that affect your work?

We rarely scream. But we have had arguments. Mostly caused by cultural differences.

Wildbluesun wrote:
10. Any idea on 8's return...?

Yes!

Wildbluesun wrote:
11. Why'd Auriea move to Belgium and Michaël not move to America?

Because I have children and their mother did not want to move to America.

Wildbluesun wrote:
12. And was that hard for Auriea, being in a new country?

Yes.

Wildbluesun wrote:
13. Are you ever going to publicly air the features list for Endless Forest?

You mean of future features? If so, no such list exists. We make it up together with the players.

Wildbluesun wrote:
14. How many days until the next Red Girl?

One.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:31 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Thanks a lot. =D Now I know the answer to my stalker-ish, I've-been-following-ToT-for-twenty-seven-years, questions!
Kumiko
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:10 am Reply with quote
Joined: 07 Apr 2008 Posts: 159 Location: The Endless Forest
15. Any advice for a young, want-to-be independent developer?

16. What has been your most rememberable moment with Tale of Tales?

17. What would you say your 'life achievement' is or at least, what would you like it to be?

18. What have been some things that have influenced The Endless Forest, The Graveyard, and/or The Path?

19. What else do you do besides developing games?

20. How important do you feel the connection and interaction between the developer and the players is?
Michael
Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Kumiko wrote:
15. Any advice for a young, want-to-be independent developer?

Yes: make something.
Rather than designing and fantasizing on paper, come up with an idea that you know you can finish and make it from start to finish and distribute it. Don't wait for some expert to come around and solve your problems. Find a technology that works for you and learn the skills you need to make your game.
Our motto is "It's better to make something than nothing!"

Kumiko wrote:
16. What has been your most rememberable moment with Tale of Tales?

I couldn't pick out one. Seeing people play The Endless Forest for the first time made a big impression.

Kumiko wrote:
17. What would you say your 'life achievement' is or at least, what would you like it to be?

We haven't made it yet. I feel that we are en route towards something and that all our projects are stepping stones towards that ultimate "thing".

Kumiko wrote:
18. What have been some things that have influenced The Endless Forest, The Graveyard, and/or The Path?

Again: seeing people play The Endless Forest. This has had a major influence on us as designers.
The control scheme of The Endless forest was influenced by Neverwinter Nights. We wanted to use a traditional navigation (as opposed to "8"). And for the graphics, Guild Wars has been very inspiring.
I don't think we can underestimate the influence of games that we don't like either. We think most games are very wasteful. They build these beautiful worlds and then the only thing you can do in them is kill things. To see this unused potential is very inspiring.

Of course, the most important influence is the subject matter. I think the way we work is most similar to how landscape or portrait painters work. We choose a subject and try try to express that subject as well as we can. We have a personal preference for mythology and folk tales, but I guess we could work with any subject matter.

Kumiko wrote:
19. What else do you do besides developing games?

Nothing. Laughing
We eat. Sometimes. We sleep. Once a day.
We parent. Two days per week.
On Sunday afternoon we eat ice cream and cookies and watch movies. We used to play games but there have hardly been any games that we like for years. The last one was Animal Crossing on Gamecube.

We try to see a theater play, dance piece or concert, like every other week. But we often don't have time.

We're not always this busy, though. It's just with The Path now.

Kumiko wrote:
20. How important do you feel the connection and interaction between the developer and the players is?

It's the reason why we're here. Both Auriea and I, independently of each other, basically ran away from the "real world" and sought refuge in the internet. Because here we can have contact with our adience directly. And be the audience for those people in turn. Without theaters, museum, galleries, cafes, etc. This direct contact drives us.
Sluggs
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Just thought of another question!

21) When either of you are in the forest and everyone who recognizes you starts following you everywhere, does that sometimes get annoying?

I remember some of us chasing Auriea around not so long ago, and she didn't seem too happy about it! (Hopes that doesn't start a war between you two!) Laughing

Something I'd like to mention about when you Gods are in the forest...

I assume that every time you're spotted in the forest, a mini Abio is expected from you. Please, don't feel pressured into doing so. Although it's great when you put on a little show, you don't have to. Just seeing you guys in the forest, is enough for some of us. Wink
Michael
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
Sluggs wrote:
21) When either of you are in the forest and everyone who recognizes you starts following you everywhere, does that sometimes get annoying?

Sometimes we wish we were anonymous. Maybe sometimes we are. Wink

Sluggs wrote:
I remember some of us chasing Auriea around not so long ago, and she didn't seem too happy about it! (Hopes that doesn't start a war between you two!) Laughing

We always love playing in the forest. Don't worry about it.

Sluggs wrote:
I assume that every time you're spotted in the forest, a mini Abio is expected from you. Please, don't feel pressured into doing so. Although it's great when you put on a little show, you don't have to. Just seeing you guys in the forest, is enough for some of us. Wink

Ok. We'll try to resist using our godly powers then. Wink
Liëka
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
[quote="Michael]

Ok. We'll try to resist using our godly powers then. Wink[/quote]

Lul, I thought that. If I had Abio powers, I would seriously have to restrain myself so bad. O.O
Ravenflight
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:07 am Reply with quote
Questions, Questions - aaahh I love Questions ^^

Mine may be completely randomised...But Im keeping myself from the grip of boredom

22. Has there ever been any hillarious awkward silence moments - perhaps talking about a game idea or just talking in general

23. Any pranks pulled on anyone?
Sluggs
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:18 am Reply with quote
24) The Ruins you spawn during an Abiogenesis, are they early versions of the Ename Ruin we see in the forest?
Michael
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ravenflight wrote:
22. Has there ever been any hillarious awkward silence moments - perhaps talking about a game idea or just talking in general

Do you mean between Auriea and I? Here on the forums? Question

Ravenflight wrote:
23. Any pranks pulled on anyone?

Again: where?
Michael
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Sluggs wrote:
24) The Ruins you spawn during an Abiogenesis, are they early versions of the Ename Ruin we see in the forest?

Those are actually the exact same model. Only in different size and without the vines.
Fayne
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 Posts: 1428 Location: The Shadow Gallery
Teehee, I've got some. :D

...well, one. -FAILURE-

How do you feel about the way some of us have developed our deer into characters with backstories, personalities, etc.?

WAIT HERE'S ANOTHER ONE.

What do you think of the state of the community? As in, the people in it, the kind of things we talk about, that sort of stuff. And the cake phenomenon. ESPECIALLY THE CAKE PHENOMENON. -eyetwitch-

lol I have a cold. disregard the delirium. c: