top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  American McGee's Alice

eusebius
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I started to think about computer games as art concepts several years ago. Before that I rather ignore that kind of “entertainment”. In several interviews I stated that my love for computers came as a necessary for non-emotive interaction. After profound and contemplative research in a field of music I wanted to relax myself. I thought computer is better than alcohol Wink But what happened than? I realized that pseudo-inanimate world of binary code become alive. Stagnation of Zero recoup well in dynamics of One. I realized that computer error could be beautiful. Also, I realized that the embryos of artificial intelligence lying hidden in third coordinate: trinary code will presumably initiate computer to make mistakes intentionally. First I discover immersive world of web – I confess – Entropy8 was an emotive reactor in binary world. Then I started to play games. But alas! I couldn’t find the game with strongly built atmosphere, world that could retract me into it. After such introduction you’ll understand that I wanted more that action.

First game I liked is American McGee's Alice. Somehow this game attracts me in spite of all violence and horror scenes.

Alice has now been traumatized by the loss of her family in a fire. She is rather mad, and in an insane asylum. Her delusions as she returns to Wonderland form the background of the game, your job as Alice is to return Wonderland to order, and thus purge your mind of madness. It's a compelling story line, filled with dark.

American McGee's Alice uses a modified version of the Quake III engine. The result is possibly the best looking third person perspective game yet. The wildly imaginative surroundings of Wonderland are rendered in often stunning fashion. The pure variety of locations, color schemes and foes you face is a tour de force... a truly remarkable achievement.

Some levels are simply divine (the palace of the chess pieces is a wonder in monochrome).

I dislike music. Of course.
Michael
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I played the demo of Alice for a bit. but I was quickly bored with the same old hack-and-slash your way through hundreds of enemies type of gameplay. How is this game different from all the other shoot-em-ups?
eusebius
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 9:52 pm Reply with quote
OK, while I undoubtedly enjoy the imaginative artwork, I was little disappointed with just how straightforward the underlying game really is. However: aside from playing with Alice's toys in <<hack-and-slash your way through hundreds of enemies>> mode you also have to navigate through Wonderland. Alice can run, walk, climb up and down, swim, jump and swing on ropes. And you have to do all of these things to move around. If you want to feel the atmosphere you’ll need to surpass starting levels. I also give up several times… Many levels include playmates, enemies, as well as puzzles both mental and physical. But the Wonderland!!! It’s a gorgeous place. I played it twice just to explore divine landscapes. You can use cheat code in ~console~ to get yourself into the chess world. You have to feel it!
Michael
Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
You are seducing me, you bad man!... Hm... to buy or not to buy?.. Cool