top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  The girls' livejournals

Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:55 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Miorrowind wrote:
Michael wrote:
They should have an maximum age rating, not a minimum age!

You would be the last person I expected to hear that from! D: That's agism!

Haha. Not at all. Not if you consider the rating to be a recommendation rather than a limitation. That's how I look at the age rating as a parent now: is this game recommended for children of a certain age? Whether it is allowed is something that only I, as a parent, can judge.

Many games are designed for children. If you play them as a grown-up, you just feel like you're being treated like a child. Frankly, I've felt insulted by many games that way. A maximum age recommendation could prevent this. If the box clearly says that a game is for age 18 and less, then I know I should be prepared to be treated like a child by the game. And then it's up to me to decide whether I want that or not.

I was half joking about the maximum age rating. But also half serious.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I've never really noticed this, because I'm still a teenager (and don't really play mainstream games anyway).

Reminds me, bizarrely, of The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 12A rated, but an adult's film most definitely (or teenager's, but I suspect it's the type of film that I'd enjoy even if I were older; perhaps I'd even have enjoyed it more if I were older). A 12 year old seeing that film would most probably not understand it or be traumatised. A 7 year old (adult-accompanied) would be even more baffled/disturbed.

But I don't think those things are really necessary, because people can exercise judgement by themselves, can't they? The ratings are to protect children, not adults (who should be able to make their own decisions). Can't adults decide what would and what wouldn't treat them like a child by themselves?
Grahamstephani
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Sep 2008 Posts: 53 Location: The end of my rope.
Quote:
The ratings are to protect children, not adults (who should be able to make their own decisions).

I agree. Plus I think that it'd be hard to add a maximum rating to games. You can tell by content what's inappropriate for a young child (though not all of us follow the ratings), but you never really know what an adult will think is too young. Take the Wii for example. It's games are probably some of the most child-oriented ones out there (especially with the bright and happy type of graphics), but more adults than ever before are starting to actually play video games thanks to the Wii. I think it's not a matter of maturity, but a matter of how good the game play is.

But like I said before, ratings are mostly based off what you see when you play the game, not what you feel (the psychological effects). Thus: More blood/gore and bad language = higher rating. The Path could be as psychologically scary as possible, but the rating still would stay down if it didn't have gore.

On the same note, the categories used in the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) ratings:
Violence (fighting, blood, and gore)
Sexuality (nudity, sexual content, and suggestive themes)
Language and Lyrics (swearing)
Substance (use or suggestion of tobacco, alcohol, or drugs)
Humor (comic mischief, crude humor, and mature humor)
Gambling (simulated or actual)
There is not a category for just plain horror and I don't think that the Path will actually have any of these other subjects... So the rating could stay extremely low.
Michael
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
Can't adults decide what would and what wouldn't treat them like a child by themselves?

The marketing is trying to lure us all in, of course. So an adult might not be able to tell just from the box cover whether an 18-rated game is actually intended for children.
Also, from my point of view, humans remain some kind of child until around 25. But the age rating stops at 18.
Michael
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Those "family" Wii-games I have seen are actually relatively neutral in attitude. So they don't offend grown-ups as much as your run-of-the-mill military shooter that really talks to you as if you were some snotty kid.

But more importantly, I think, is that the Wii games present themselves as games in a more pure sense of the word. So as a grown-up, you know what you're getting yourself into: a whimsical, silly, fun experience. They appeal to the child in us all.
Other games present themselves much more as narrative experiences on par with film. Those appeal to the adult in us. But often they end up being more childish than the "real" games.
Miorrowind
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2008 Posts: 216 Location: Just to the left. No no, the OTHER left.
Which is why I find out more about a game before actually buying it. Certain labels I'll buy without question (if it's Zelda or a Lego game I'm buying it, end of discussion), but for the most part if it's a game I've only ever heard a little of or looks interesting but I don't know much about I'll ask the people in the store about it or ask friends or look up reviews of the game to hear what the game is like. I really don't think that even if a game had a warning system to tell you if you'll be talked down to or not would work anyways because there are always those game developers that will find loopholes to try and make their games look good for everyone when they aren't. Honestly, I usually don't bother with the rating system because I don't trust the corporate lawyers who deal with that stuff to actually know what they're doing.
Mayar
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Wii is a good console... I have only two games rated for teen, most others are Lego or Mario ones...

Path for Wii(Please?)
Miorrowind
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2008 Posts: 216 Location: Just to the left. No no, the OTHER left.
O: I had not thought of putting the Path on the Wii! that sounds like epic win right thar! I mean... I'm not sure what the controls for it are to begin with but if it's a point and click a Wii would work just fine. I found trying to draw for Ookami with an analog stick rather hard and it would probably be the same for the Path. Ah... if you guys could ever make this into downloadable content for the Wii it'd just be another reason for me to get one. <3 (Have no room at the momen. ): )
Wildbluesun
Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Michael wrote:
Wildbluesun wrote:
Can't adults decide what would and what wouldn't treat them like a child by themselves?

The marketing is trying to lure us all in, of course. So an adult might not be able to tell just from the box cover whether an 18-rated game is actually intended for children.

True? I agree with Miorrowind, though; games are quite expensive, so I always make sure to research them before I buy them.
Mayar
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:26 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
I download the Demo, and if it´s fun, i buy it or download it... per torrent...
Michael
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I doubt if The Path will ever appear on Wii. But there is some intrest to port it to Playstation. Who knows?

We do have ideas/plans for other games on Wii.
Bellamy
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Shocked
Fayne
Posted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 21 Mar 2008 Posts: 1428 Location: The Shadow Gallery
Michael wrote:
We do have ideas/plans for other games on Wii.

I know. XD Now I need to buy one, all because of you two evil people. D:< <3
Mayar
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:22 am Reply with quote
Wii owns Playstations Ass... If Path is a Real Point and Click or at least something in that direction, it would very well fit on the wii...
Grahamstephani
Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:16 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Sep 2008 Posts: 53 Location: The end of my rope.
Quote:
I know. XD Now I need to buy one, all because of you two evil people.

Yes, you do. You must recognize the Wii's awesomeness and buy one for your gaming pleasure.
Quote:
Wii owns Playstations Ass...

Not true. Both consoles are amazing. The PS3 has the amazing graphics and gorgeous games. The Wii has the arcade-style play and motion controls. You can't really compare them because they have completely separate features. Truthfully though, I think that the Wii is a good multiplayer console because of games like WiiSports, but the PS3 is good for single player because of the massive amounts of RPG's(can I hear anyone say Final Fantasy?). I don't usually get out my Wii unless someone is going to play it with me, but my PS3 is always hooked up.