top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  grand theft auto 3 review

workroom
Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Smile

this game completely kicks ass and is unlike any other i've ever played...

yes there is senseless violence and yes you can even pick up hookers, take them to a secluded place and watch as your car starts shaking and your money goes down and health goes up...(and if you kill the hooker afterwards you can get your money back)

BUT, aside from all this is the unique gameplay...

you can choose to drive various missions of increasing difficulty and with well written storylines that tie them together... OR at any time you can hijack an ambulance,firetruck,cab,or cop car and run a mission with them earning points and cash... OR you can just walk around and senselessly beat people up... get some weapons, and set em on fire or launch rockets at them... OR you can simply drive around like a maniac absolutely anywhere you want to go, stealing absolutely any car you want and look for hidden jumps to earn insane stunt bonus points...

all of the cars handle exactly like you would think they would in real life... delivery trucks are sluggish yet sturdy, stingrays and vipers are fast and tight, and stationwagons slide all over the place, hummers can climb almost vertical hills... etc etc

so anyways

i just highly recommend it

super easy learning curve, excellent details (like over half a dozen radio stations to choose from while driving, playing excellent stuff), great camera work (POV is easy to use and when nailing an insane stunt bonus camera cuts away to show slow motion shot of you sailing through the air...) and fun to play with a friend (trading off)
Michael
Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:06 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Are you playing this on Playstation 2?
workroom
Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:11 pm Reply with quote
yes sir Smile
Michael
Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 9:58 am Reply with quote
We've rented it and played it and yes: we were impressed.

On top of being a very fun game to play, we found it was also very beautiful. They really did a great job on the textures and even the animations are well done (not realistic but stylized in a nice way). The radio in the cars is hilarious! You can tune into different radiostations in and some of them are very funny. Another joke is one of the NPCs: a guy in shorts and shirt quoting Village People lyrics. "There's a place you can go", is already a classic over here. Smile

The game does a great job at making you feel like you are in a city: the soundscape is wonderful! One of the few things that bothered me was the lack of interaction between characters. We let our male main character drive a girl to the seaside, got out of the car and went for a walk. It was very peaceful and quiet but she didn't seem to be impressed at all. In real life this always works. Wink

I am worried about the negative influence this game might have on me. I already need to think twice when I see a red light since I've acquired a second instinct of ignoring it in Grand Theft Auto III. Same thing goes for stealing cars... I can't help but think about opening the door of a nice car on the road in order to just hop in and drive away with it. Hm...
workroom
Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:24 pm Reply with quote
yes yes!

it continues outside of the game! i'm always eying Hummers or Vipers here.... have you taken the tank for a spin or gotten your "wanted" level up to 5 stars yet? (you can than shoot down helicopters with your rocket launcher)

of course i had to go find the cheats to turn on all weapons and tank.... Wink
Michael
Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I guess we have some more gaming ahead of us. Shocked

As soon as we can afford it, we'll buy it.

(it's never in at the game rental store...)
Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:47 am Reply with quote
Finished it tonight! Evil or Very Mad