top_image

<  Writing & Interface Design  ~  graphical representation of non-linear story

picklebro
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:00 am Reply with quote
Now this is not very efficient in the long run for sending ideas to people, I guess you could use Excel or something like that to do it but....my idea is to create a hub or circle (or whatever shape) in the center. This represents the entry point, the genesis, or situation at the start of the story.

Now draw spokes out from the central hub and attach snippets of story to them. If you have multiple non-linear stories you could have color coded snippets. ..that's a start towards my idea...your thoughts?
Michael
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We used Storyspace when we started writing the scenario for 8. But then we switched to a text-based wiki, which turned out to be more convenient. Graphical representations are only suitable for small and simple projects, I think. But they can be pretty. Wink
picklebro
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote
One problem with a non-traditional (ie non hypertext) medium is that it is going to be hard to share with collaborators if they are working across the net.

Another idea that poped into my head though was to create a mock model of the location and literally draw out the movement and the clue locations. Again this would also only work if everyone were at the same studio and might be more useful at some midpoint to do some sort of feasibility check for all the clues (ie... is it really a good idea to put this clue here --what will my players think).

All in all though I think you're right that a hypertext based wiki is probably the best way to store/share/modify game concepts as they are being created.
Michael
Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Have you seen screenshots of the application that we make our games with (Quest3D)? Our design documents may be text-based but our "code" is graphical! (here's a screenshot of the joystick navigation logic in The Endless Forest e.g.).
picklebro
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Yes, actually I went to quest3d's site to check out quest3d earlier, but I didn't see the scripting trees - that's awesome...doesn't get much easier to work with than that! Smile Wooohooo, gotta love graphical layouts!
Michael
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Don't be mistaken: it's still very difficult. But it's a way of expressing algorithms that is more useful for artistically-minded people than code.
picklebro
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm not mistaking it for easy. Smile I just said I can't think of a way to make it any easier...its like shoveling a ditch through clay. If you get a good shovel it makes the job a lot easier, but its still a hard job. Smile