top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  Please test the new community site

Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
We have finished a first step towards a new community site for The Endless Forest. We're not sure yet whether this new site will ultimately (after we add more features) replace the forums here, or simply complement them. It depends a bit on how you, the players, feel. And on what is technically, and financially, feasible.

So please have a look at:
http://EndlessForest.org/community
And let us know what you think.
You can log in with your player account.

Feel free to start using the two features that are there: Diaries and Pictures. It's only through using the site that we will learn how to opitimize it.

Please post all your comments and suggestions in this thread.
Twilight Demon
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 05 Jan 2008 Posts: 156 Location: Antler-locking... He's a bad boy!
Micheal, that is GREAT! Very Happy Smile Very Happy

EDIT: Hey, I see Cyric sleeping on the map. Very Happy

EDIT AGAIN: What is a forest nuzzel? Does it count how many nuzzels you get? Smile
Zules
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 04 Aug 2007 Posts: 1016 Location: Hijacking your threads!
OH DEAR I JUST LOOKED AT THE FRONT PAGE AND I'M SO SAD I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL IN AN HOUR *explores quickly*

edit: I think that live map is the most useful thing ever Surprised But when I click on a picto, it says, "Page not found" or "You are not authorized to access this page." Is that what's supposed to happen or is it just me? I'm logged in and stuff.
QuadRaptor
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm on there now. Are Pictures limited to drawings/artwork or can they include screenshots?

The Forest Map is really cool, by the way. That will be really helpful for me to see who's on.

*edit* Nevermind, when you upload a picture you actually have four options - concept, fan, screenshot, and other. I'm going to upload the wallpaper I made yesterday under "other", although it consists of a bunch of screenshots.

Last edited by QuadRaptor on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ghost
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Oct 2007 Posts: 1915 Location: Lost in my own delusions.
Oooooo!!! I'm loving this! I got 5 nuzzles/5 points for posting a blog. Smile I love the organized look of it all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Cyaneus
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
That map is FANTASTIC! Do you think there could be a way for us to link accounts, so that people might know that different pictograms are operated by the same person? Because it won't let me use the same e-mail for both of my accounts.

Also, I accidentally posted a picture twice (feel free to delete the extra). Will there be a way to edit/delete those in the future, if, for example, the picture's URL changes, it was originally miscategorized, or we want to add a comment?

From a web design view, though, the colors and layout look a little mismatched ... will you be streamlining it further in the future?
Bell
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Love it!

I'm going to probably get really competitive about nuzzles...... Laughing

I agree with the suggestion about being able to click on the pictos and get sent to the user page, it'd make associating them with the players a lot easier.
Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Twilight Demon wrote:
What is a forest nuzzel? Does it count how many nuzzels you get? Smile

It's like points.
Maybe later you'll be able to do something with them.
Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Zules wrote:
But when I click on a picto, it says, "Page not found" or "You are not authorized to access this page." Is that what's supposed to happen or is it just me? I'm logged in and stuff.

Clicking on a pictogram is supposed to open the profile page of that player. But if that player has never logged in to the community site, there is no profile page. We need to make that a bit more elegant, somehow...
Michael
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Cyaneus wrote:
That map is FANTASTIC! Do you think there could be a way for us to link accounts, so that people might know that different pictograms are operated by the same person? Because it won't let me use the same e-mail for both of my accounts.

I doubt if we'll be able to link accounts. You should choose one for the community site, I think.

Cyaneus wrote:
Also, I accidentally posted a picture twice (feel free to delete the extra). Will there be a way to edit/delete those in the future, if, for example, the picture's URL changes, it was originally miscategorized, or we want to add a comment?

You should be able to edit/delete the content you submitted yourself. I'll check and try to fix it.

Cyaneus wrote:
From a web design view, though, the colors and layout look a little mismatched ... will you be streamlining it further in the future?

It's all work in progress... Smile
sockpuppie
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 26 Oct 2007 Posts: 663 Location: Through the seven levels of the Candy Cane Forest. Past the twirly, swirly gumdrops.
Bell wrote:

I agree with the suggestion about being able to click on the pictos and get sent to the user page, it'd make associating them with the players a lot easier.

I second that Smile

And I think the website looks flippin sweet, very nice Smile
Verdalas
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Feb 2007 Posts: 3627 Location: When the time is right, you'll know..
Wow. I like it! I'd miss the elegance that this current site has (With the front page and all being so pretty) but that live map is definatley a bonus. And it's not like a proper map, so unless you know the forest, you'd have no clue. xD
alpha
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Very Happy
Ghost
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 13 Oct 2007 Posts: 1915 Location: Lost in my own delusions.
I like it since the map is Flash, you can Zoom in and slide it around. Easier to look at a group of deer when there are many overlapping pictograms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bell
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Ghost wrote:
I like it since the map is Flash, you can Zoom in and slide it around. Easier to look at a group of deer when there are many overlapping pictograms.

Oh man. I didn't even know you could zoom, totally helps my problem.

Edit~ How do you zoom? Laughing

Also! A suggestion, maybe a little newsflash thing should pop up on the home page when the user gets a message or a comment, whatever? That way you don't find out two years later that someone asked you something, or posted something and never got a response Shocked