top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  Bad news: no funding for Phase 4

Wetterhound
Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 11 Jun 2008 Posts: 114 Location: United States of America
Michael wrote:
Thank you for your donations!
Don't worry, we don't expect to be able to fund an entire phase from donations. We need to find another source for that. But your smaller donations have been adding up lately, so we will be able to create something new for the Forest at some point!

Like Minideer pelts? Laughing Jk Michael.
gglidden
Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Thank you for your donations!
Don't worry, we don't expect to be able to fund an entire phase from donations. We need to find another source for that. But your smaller donations have been adding up lately, so we will be able to create something new for the Forest at some point!

It's good to know that at least something new will be put in the game someday. Even if that something is small, I don't care, as long as the game is growing somehow. Smile
Fiver
Posted: Mon May 03, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh no!
I'll go and annoy my dad till he lets me donate something!!
Swifttail
Posted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:28 am Reply with quote
I really wish I could help....but I don't have a credit card, nor does my dad. ;_;
LynnaWaters
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote
yes yes! I'm agreeing to all. But I think what should come first from the money is advertisement.. And this doesnt have to go in this horrid manner you imagine when hearing the word.. I know being on expo's and stuff helps for sure, just thinking, online ads are awesome, such as on facebook or you could advertise on screensaver websites. Then you'll get alot more population and will need to prepare for bigger servers but forsure there'll be people donating. I mean, the whole free to play mmo genre is earning more money than the subscription ones after all.. So maybe integrate some little things you can get ingame by paying, like a sort of bank to see all outfits.. And then you can for example as a free to play save one item from each body part (that would make 1x3 slots) and by buying more slots you can save more. Then ppl can hit the save button if they want to save an item and it'll appear in their gallery.
Oh! Or even better! Make a Forest Magic Diary, and there you have empty slots where all the different skins fit in! Then, as a free to play player, you have only a few skins, and the more "Pages" you buy for real life money from the cashshop, the more skins you can store (you could do three per page of each kind for example, so that'd be 3x3 per page). Then you could click on a skin you ever wore in your life to put it on. The slots in the diary will never dissapear, but maybe there will come things in the world that make you "forget" the skins and then you have to get blessed again by others to find them back.

Anyway.. Something that makes ppl want to pay. Just pure love and hugs is great and all, but won't work. Same with asking for money from institutes. Maybe they give something the first time to help you on the way, but i wouldnt say phase 4 is still "on the way".. So I'm sorry to say but if I were an institute having ppl ask me for money for a project thats been released so long, it's not up to me to stop you from drowning.. Art and games are survival of the fittest I'd say so it's got to come from you guys if you're gonna be drowning or not, because institutes can't keep every good idea alive, starting them off, yes. Keeping them breathing, no.
Raz
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
I think M and A want TEF to be always free and have everything available to everyone. So that means cash pelts would be a no.

I think it'd also create elitetists and jealousy.
LynnaWaters
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well either theyre going to start making some money in some way or theyre going to shut down the servers. That's what they're looking at and if the only way is begging for money from institutes then it will turn out that the servers will be shut down because even art needs buyers to stay alive.
Starling
Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, a lot of players would be willing to buy pelts. And I know for a fact the ones who aren't able to buy them, others would always be willing to trade with them in some way. Eg "write me a story and I'll buy you a pelt". Something along the lines of that.

Of course, M & A have said that they didn't want people to be singled out in the game, which is why like Raz said it's not allowed.

But of course, it would be a great money-making scheme for TEF.
LynnaWaters
Posted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
well yes, especcially in a game like this without many goals, buying the pelts would kill a big piece of the fun. FOr me it's all about the challenge to communicate with others without being able to use my words just to get those pelts. It doesn't have to be a isolating-out the free players system. With cashshop, you can do ALOT. DDO for instance is having a system with points, you gather points as you play, (and you dont get few) or, you buy points with money. So, its up to the players, and yes, people who play and pay at once will have more points. Therefore, I think the cashshop items would be things that are completely replacable, onetime usage things. Like, a Reindeer Potion or something which lets you hop around in the sky for a minute. I still think having a skins diary is a nice idea, whether it be cashshop or not. Just to expand on the saving your looks and loading them again that's alreay in the game. You can actually see them in your diary and when you reequip skins it wouldnt be your previous ones but you could pick one frm your diary. Of course they would all decay over time just like you can't keep them forever now.
Sham
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I personally don't understand this issue with singling players out? Technically this has already been done, what with only the stray person here or there having a Luchador mask, only acquirable through Abiogenesis, which is now(From my understanding, at least), likely to only be available for those who donate to keep the game alive. Guess at this point I don't understand how adding purchasable pelts(Or anything for that matter) singles players out. In the end they would be making a bit of profit.
Raz
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
The difference there is, EVERYONE has a chance to get those masks, but it's up to luck if you happen to get it cast upon you. Not to mention they're free.

With paying for pelts, it's not availiable for everyone because not all may be able to purchase them. It's not based on luck.
LynnaWaters
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:40 pm Reply with quote
hence why the idea of purchasable pelts has been already said is maybe not an optimal idea if we don't want the game to be ruined for free players. But nobody is going to mind to pay for technical options that make the controls of the game a bit smoother an easier. For instance the loading and saving of previous deer-styles could be optimized for those that pay. And there could be some technical one-time-payment ideas aswell, for those who only wish to pay once, so they can unlock something, like an ammount of slots to store outfits (which would be unlimited for example for those who are VIP subscribers). One time payers could maybe unlock 5 massks/pelts/antlers per payment, while the storage capacity for VIP's could be at like 100 or something.
Sham
Posted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Raz wrote:
The difference there is, EVERYONE has a chance to get those masks, but it's up to luck if you happen to get it cast upon you. Not to mention they're free.

With paying for pelts, it's not availiable for everyone because not all may be able to purchase them. It's not based on luck.

In a way it is still based on luck. People trade stuff all of the time. Pictograms have already become a form of 'currency'. With that said making something payable(Not that Abiogenesis isn't already at this point), makes little difference. People could trade something to get a pelt if they really wanted one. People do it with picto's, they're paying to attend Abiogenesis. I am unable to distinguish a fine difference, especially considering the above points, makes little sense to pass up an opportunity to bring in more profit.
Raz
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:54 am Reply with quote
...last I was aware, trading pictos was not allowed. M and A said no to it.

But technically yeah, I guess people could trade for those 'special' pelts.
makeshifter
Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 09 Aug 2007 Posts: 1720 Location: It's remarkable the smile you make just by showing up.
I have no idea what those guys are talking about, and I'm sure this has been suggested before. But... Kick starter?