top_image

<  3D Aesthetics  ~  Realism is uncanny

Michael
Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:35 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
To avoid negative response, "a prosthesis or a robot should be visibly artificial, but smart and stylish in appearance", says Japanese roboticist Doctor Masahiro Mori. (Dave Bryant, The Uncanny Vally)

This probably applies to CG characters as well.

"When an android [...] barely looks human, we cut it a lot of slack. It seems cute. We don't care that it's only 50 percent humanlike. But when a robot becomes 99 percent lifelike -so close that it's almost real- we focus on the missing 1 percent."
(Clive Thompson, The Undead Zone. Why realistic graphics make humans look creepy.)
TwoEars
Posted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:07 pm Reply with quote
It is interesting to stumble across this post because just a few weeks ago I read about the "Uncanny Vally" in last month's Scientific American! It was quite interesting to learn about but when I really thought about it as someone who often plays games with... "humanoid figures" in them I didn't think it was quite right. In the short article it mentioned that the creation of the "Uncanny Vally Chart" wasn't based on solid scientific evidence.

I think that how much you accept something has to do not only with its level or lack of realism, but a lot of personal and social factors including how many games or animations with semi-realistic people a person has seen and played.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
enkephalin07
Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
I once brought this up with a bunch of 'Node gurus' who were obsessed with the Holy Grail of defining a shader set that would give photorealistic appearance without the use of textures.

It's an interesting exercise, but a waste of the technology -- if you want photorealistic, why not pick up a camera and shoot live action? I'm a film graduate, but I'm much more interested in the stylistic potential of 3D design. Maybe it is possible to bridge the Uncanny Vally, but it's taking a lot of time and effort, decades so far, for something that just isn't that necessary.