top_image

<  Forest Design Issues and Ideas  ~  Feature requests

quiet_sound-XxX
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking, You know how people have their minds set on a pelt? well what if there was an easier way to get them? say a sleeping Grown Deer would have the older pelts( because they are "old") and a young sleeping fawn would have the newer pelts? I thought it was a good idea if you had your mind set on a certain pelt Smile

Last edited by quiet_sound-XxX on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total
CountRuben
Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Jun 2011 Posts: 9 Location: A small tree near the lake
raz wrote:

Quote:
It's ridiculous how many dark and evil deer there are inforest these days. Each new deer it seems has something cliche and demonic about it.

Why do you think so, raz? I mean, yes, there are some, if not many, deer which deny contact to "strangers" and ignore them, but that doesn't immediately make them evil. I didn't meet a single deer which I would call that way.
Or is it because you, who knows both the old and new version of the game, can exactly see the changes in deer behaviour?
Raz
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Joined: 24 Mar 2008 Posts: 2866 Location: With the FuzzyRaptors
When you've played TEF for just over 3 years you can see the change.
When I first played TEF, nearly every deer was welcoming. It would be rare that the players would ignore you. NO ONE would raise a hoof at you or lower their antlers at you for going near them.
There was none of this: "My deer is the spawn of satan with wolf paws, neon markings and a pelt that doesn't even look like one of the original pelt designs. They also cry blood at night because they're depressed. They're gay and can't find a mate so they came to TEF to get one."
TEF has way too many "special snowflake" deer Confused
Nearly every deer I see now would be like this or some variation. It's ridiculous.

Not to mention stupid drama. The community is riddled with it. In the past there was pretty much none. Back then we were worrying about whether or not having your deer having a mate was ok, and later on the love triangle rectangle octagon thing that was surrounding a deer named Lorak.
Now people explode over stupid things like CSS, or people copying others inforest, people treating eachother like dirt for their characters, skull masks, users acting like "female dogs" and so on.

tldr: Old fogey player misses the old forest when it was nice.
CountRuben
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:02 am Reply with quote
Hmmm... Now I sort of understand how you might feel. I didn't really see it that way until now. Shocked

The sad thing is, we cannot really change it. Every new deer inforest gets to see these dark-type deer and will probably become one of them. I think this might even have been another reason for M&A to stop working on this project, no matter if spoken out loudly or made a secret.
That certainly is not the way they wanted TEF to be.

But, with so much, let's call it frustration about TEF, do you still enjoy playing in any way?
Raz
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, we can't change it because we can't force people to change their deer because people don't like them. The only way it'll change is if it phases itself out. But I've been hoping for it to phase itself out for well over a year and I doubt it will.

I don't know about that with M an A, but it is true that they never wanted the forest to be dark and violent. It even says so on the main TEF site.

I don't really play anymore at all. I haven't for months because the Forest began to stress me out. It was not fun for me anymore. It got so bad that I couldn't even go inforest without seen a deer who's player I hated, it'd make me so angry it'd just be a huge killjoy. I tried my best to ignore these players but it wasn't working. Finally, it made me irritated that the only way I could interact and get noticed by other deer and players is by playing a said evil, manipulative, horrible, butthead of a deer so I just slowly stopped playing.
You know it's a bad thing when in order to get noticed your deer has to beat the hell out of another Confused it's just sad.

Most of my old friends I played with in the beginning have either stopped playing, dissappeared or have turned into enemies.

I still miss TEF. I miss playing. But I miss the old TEF. Not this "new" one.
CountRuben
Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I also doubt that anything will happen just automatically. probably, if some deer would start being nice, others would follow and TEF could, at least in some way, become a friendly place again. But how do you start a "revolution of friendlyness"? I don't really think I will ever be able to visit that old TEF you were so fascinated about.
Raz
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:31 am Reply with quote
I agree and doubt that you could start a "revoultion of friendliness" just because the majority are those dark deer who ignore all attempts at niceness, Draak tried and failed at so many attempts Confused.

Yeah...the old TEF is near dead. It's rare that you'll find a Peacocking session, dance lines/totems and other silliness.
Scape
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:56 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Feb 2008 Posts: 4154 Location: Sleeping Amongst the Dragonflies
I gotta step into this.

Raz, you're actually wrong. I see less "dark" deer than there used to be, and a lot more dance lines and peacocking happening. I'm not sure if it's the hours you were on or that you stopped playing some time ago, but it's basically reached a balance right now. Or maybe I just notice the good enough for the bad to not bother me. *shrug* Part of it is the mindset you have when you play.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Raz
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:17 am Reply with quote
I stand corrected then. Considering I haven't truely played for months or visited the Community Site.

But it still doesn't change my views/feelings towards seeing certain players inforest.
Scape
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
Yea, I understand that. Can't be friends with everyone after all. |D

...this conversation should probably end here since this is very off-topic. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Starling
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't starting a fight, Scape. Just stating my opinion Razz

Last edited by Starling on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scape
Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Completely unnecessary, Starling. I don't want you agreeing with me and then writing a comment that sounds like an attempt to start a fight.
Ayodele
Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 27 Jun 2011 Posts: 8 Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
I beg to disagree; I'm a newbie,and I've found the forest to be a place of wonder, peace and beauty. Maybe you find some deer unfriendly or unresponsive because they've done as I have on many occasion: gone to the bathroom/made a cup of coffee, or even nodded-off!

Also (as I have),if the player has the screen-saver enabled, the game starts up when you've been idle for a short while. Many a time I've woken-up, to find I'm in the forest, and I know I've not been alone, because I'm wearing a new set of antlers/mask/pelt. I hope the player who gave this to me didn't mistake my inactivity on my PC for ignorance.

I live with a lot of pain a lot of the time, but in The Endless Forest, I can honestly say I have found somewhere that manages to distract me, and take me to a better place.

God bless us all; Auriel, Michael, deer, fawns and Forest. Smile
Raz
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
Pega/Scape said to drop it. This is not the thread to talk about evil/dark deer or people's mannerisms inforest. We got a bit carried away.

I'm not going to get into it again.

Confused if you absolutely have to know my reasons PM me.
Clip
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really read all 46 pages, so I don't know if these have already been suggested or if they're already implemented and I just didn't understand the options screen:

1) The ability to set the game to have a fixed position when idle. (The spinning around is distracting to have in the background.)

2) Might be cool to start in the same place that you disconnected at when you reconnect. I picked a nice comfy spot to lay down, and the screensaver coming on and going away throughout the course of the day, my avatar seems to teleport all over the place.

3) A setting to give trees and buildings some transparency when they get in the way of the camera.

4) A free camera mode to allow things like a top-down view.

5) Keyboard hotkeys/shortcuts for adjusting the camera! I'm used to the whole W=forward, A=turn left/strafe left, S=turn right/strafe right, D=backwards for movement, and the arrow keys to adjust camera view left and right arrow rotate the camera left and right, up and down can adjust up and down, and something like + and - can zoom in and out...

Forgot to add:
6) Dual/Triple monitor support for screensaver mode. I don't care if it shows on all two or three monitors, but it'd be nice if it blanked (turned black) the screens that don't have TEF on it.