top_image

<  The Path - discussion  ~  Why All The Carmen Hate?

Do You hate Carmen? HMMM?

Yes  
14%
  [ 8 ]  14%

No  
85%
  [ 47 ]  85%

Total Votes : 55
Mistress
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 am Reply with quote
She happens to be my second favourite. [Gingeys First]
Many people think Carmen is self centered, butttt, she just wants a mans attention/love because she is lonely. Not self centered. Just LONELY Sad
I personally hate Ruby. No particullar reasons, I just don't like her.
Anyways whos your favourite red girl?
Seed
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 17 Feb 2008 Posts: 502 Location: In UR Brainz, bee'n a deerz
I don't hate Carmen, but I cannot relate to her at all, so she doesn't win a lot of points with me.

I like Ginger best: she's the girl I'm always sad that I stopped being around that age, but she was also really surprising in places, and I liked that.
Enigma
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
I certainly don't hate Carmen; But then, I don't really hate any of the girls. Most likely my least favorite was probably either Carmen or Scarlet. But even though their my least favorite I don't have any particular problem with them. My favorites are probably Rose and Ruby. I am such a dreamer and Rose seems like that too. Ruby just seems like she'd be nice to get along with. Of course Ginger is pretty cool too. I'm actually quite the tom boy sometimes, so I can sympathize with her. And Robin is just adorable.

I guess there are things I like and dislike about all of the girls. But I can't say I hate any of them.
Jen
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
I seem to be the only one that 'likes' Carmen, she's my favourite Red Girl.
I don't know why, I definitely cannot relate to her in her self confidence in her beauty, or her wild personality. I guess I kind of relate to her because of her quest for love. Maybe it's because I wish I had a little of her in myself!
amabhy
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:02 am Reply with quote
Eh... Of the 6, I gotta say Carmen's my least favorite, just b/c what she says seems kinda forced and unnatural...

She's also kinda narcissistic

for example on her livejournal in reply to a post by Rose:

"You're worry about the animals?
They have a furry skin! Unlike my silky buttocks!"

That one made me facepalm.
Devourer
Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Like amabhy, Carmen started out as my least favorite because what she said seemed somewhat forced.

However, I don't think her words reflected a "forced" set if dialouge rather than the very forceful, bold personality she was given. She ended up being one of my favorites...It's not the production that foiled the character, I think it's merely the fact that someone that risqué and audacious wouldn't be too well liked IRL anyway.

In many ways, Carmen is shameless in what she thinks. She plumbs the deepest depths and fringes of thought that no one else knows or wants. And that's something I like about her.
Stuart
Posted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like her but didn't exactly hate her either. Her character reminds me of someone insecure in some way so I almost cringe for her and feel pity. Saying that, imagining her attention directed towards me makes me smile. I think that is where her power lies - if she wants your attention she will charm you.

I used to know a girl like this and you would think she was the most secure and confident person in the world. In reality she was desperately insecure and looked for a connection everywhere. Nothing deep or meaningful, she just wanted to know she could 'have' people. Those she couldn't have were those she chased hardest and charmed the most. She was an incredibly sexual girl and put a great deal of worth in sexual attraction and pleasure. I don't want to repeat the things she used to tell me but they were brash. I see a lot of her in Carmen. I am convinced Carmen repeatedly makes allusions to... erm... 'self-pleasure' and we all know what her wolf consists of!

Hmmmm, now I think I like Carmen a little better as she reminds me of this girl. She was fun (and she never got me, ha!).
midoriri
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
I just personlly don't care for her that much. I understand her longing for love, and I can relate to it.
But reading her livejournal posts...I don't like her personality that much. Mainly because she reminds me of those beautiful, holier-than-thou, narcissistic girls at school that thought looks were everything.
And then there's the grandmothers-house page. In her page, attached to the picture of Scarlet, she says that she knows Scarlet "only thinks about one thing." It sounds like she assumes all of her sisters are walking sex-lovers, and that she doesn't care for their personalities in other ways. ("If Ruby weren't such a bore she could get all the boys!")

I'm not saying that the game-makers made a bad character, I just don't like her attitude. Mad
Emriss
Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:32 am Reply with quote
Seems that for most of us, myself included, 'hate' is the wrong word. It's more just...indifferent dislike. She is a bit too superficial for my taste. Other than that one quote (which, ironically, is one of my favorites in the game) "The man who would save us is the destroyer. But the tenderness of giving in can defeat any power," the things she says seem very shallow, and her thoughts seem to follow a narrower rail than that of her sisters.

Auriea (if memory serves) said something along the lines of how it was better if people disliked a game because of the content, rather than because it's a bad game. For me, I get that with Carmen; I dislike her because of her character, but I think the character's well crafted and is portrayed in a way that radiates her essence. I dislike her for being so superficial, which seems to be the vibe she's supposed to give off.
lonlynemo
Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
when I first played as her, I couldn't get the thought out of my mind that she would be the ultimate sister!
MyuNoUta
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate Carmen at all; I think the main reason there's "hate" towards her is simply because of the fact that she's a flirt and she's not afraid to do so (And, truth be told, she's a bit on the shallow side in terms of her thoughts). That, in turn, makes her seem "whorish" in nature (Even though she isn't, I've seen much worse), and that is why nobody seems to like her.

Frankly, like I said, I don't hate her, but I don't really find her that interesting; as others have said, she seems a bit on the shallow side, so that deducts points.

For me, my favorite girl is a tie between Rose, Robin, and Ginger, with Ginger kinda edging out everyone else. Rose has my favorite design; she's a very beautiful girl, and in terms of her personality she also has a certain sense of detachment/daydreamerness that I can completely relate to.

I absolutely adore Robin, and she also has my favorite wolf. She also happens to have my favorite version of Grandmother's house/deathroom, aside from Ruby's version (Which reminds me of an 80's restaurant, and I just gush over it <3).

Ginger, well, I think in terms of the girls and their personalities, Ginger's is the most similar to mine, next to Rose. That, and Ginger's "wolf level," is my absolute favorite. I wish my computer was more powerful so it wouldn't lag so much; I'd be in that flower patch all freaking day, hahahaha. She also happens to have my favorite "theme music" as well; it's simply sublime to listen to <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Euphony
Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Along with Ruby, Carmen is the girl that I relate to the least. But I'm actually kind of fond of her, as I am of all the girls in their own ways. She's a teenager, and she's just trying to figure out what she wants. I think Carmen is an example of the unhealthiness of sexual expectations about women. She's basically a direct comment on women as sexual objects and the Male Gaze. I see Carmen as more symbolic than most of the other girls.

She's still very naive and young. I think I feel sorry for her more than anything else. She's soaked up all these messages about how teenage girls are supposed to be sexually appealing and enjoy having men look at them. I think she's at a phase where she's trying to sort out her sexuality. Her flirtation is utterly harmless. She makes mistakes, but I think she'll learn and grow from her experiences.

( I personally find her music and GMH to be the most disturbing of all of them, even though I don't necessarily think she was raped. But it's possible...)