top_image

<  8  ~  If I may suggest an idea....

0kami
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:19 am Reply with quote
Hello. For one, I am amazed at the projects Tale of Tales is currently working on. I've always wanted to see what "Indy gaming" companies could produce, and quite frankly, the innovation and cocnepts I've seen from this little group goes beyond what some of the current gaming companies are putting out. It's been an endless cycle with the gaming industry lately: games are down becuase of lack of innovation, but companies don't seem to be willing to make their games more innovative. Personally, I think the hardest part is targeting an audience. Then again, I don't know much about the business world Confused .

Now, as for "8". It's unfortuante that the game is on haitus due to lack of funds. Now, you (programmers/adminis.) have mentioned that you could perhaps restart the "8" project if you can gain money from possible spinoffs and merchandise. Hearing this piqued my interests.

Currently, I'm a writing student in New Haven, Connecticut at a small creative arts school. I want to propose an idea for you: To write a short novel (or some sort of literary venture) based off of the "8" universe. I feel that this could work two-fold for you. It would generate some sales (hopefully Smile ) and it would garner further interest for "8" and bring your gaming studio to a wider audience.

Another alternative instead of a novel, is an e-book. Though you wouldn't get much money from it, it would help advertise.

One thing I want to make clear: I'm not asking for money. I'll do this for free. The only thing I ask is that you credit me as the author (just so I can have something to put down on a resumè Wink )

I know that asking this is sort of futile/risky and all. But I just wanted to put the idea out there for you to consider. And thank you for reading this anyway. Good luck with your game creations. And as a sidenote, I'm looking forward to "The Path". I'm a huge fan of horror!

Thank You!
0kami
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote
One quick note: If you want, I can send you a short piece of fiction I've done. It isn't too long (something we did in my "flash fiction" class) but it's a dark(ish) fantasy piece, sort of surrealist.
Michael
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:39 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Thank you for the compliments.

Yes, please send us some of your writing.

Funny, I don't know if you know this or not, but one of our ideas for 8 was exactly to produce a novel or collection of short stories simultaneously with the game and possibly sell both in a single package. The idea was to lure in an audience that wasnn't comfortable with computer games. They would feel like they got a free computer game with their book (even though the production of the game is a thousand times more expensive than that of a book, prices for both media are not that far apart).

We had even asked one of our favourite writers, Amélie Nothomb, and to our surprise, she was really interested. But she had not time.

I don't think we should overestimate the marketing effect of a debut novel but it would be lovely to see what you come up with. Perhaps you can start with a short story about one aspect or character.
We also have lots of really nice concept art for 8. It might be interesting to publish some combination of story and illustrations.
0kami
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Thank you. I'll try and get you that short story of mine out to as soon as possible (it's a bit hectic here today, and most likely in the next few days to come with my final term tests coming up.) but thank you. And feel free to use my public email (it should be displayed there by the screen, right) I might not get to the forum everyday but I always check my emails at least twice a day.
Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:03 am Reply with quote
Don't you need a bit more information about the game?
0kami
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Yes. Oh, the short story I'm sending you has nothing to do with "8", it's just to show you what i can do. it's only 4 pages long (flash fiction) And I would love to know more about "8" (I mean, I'm going to have to Smile )
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Can you post it here or something? I'd like to see. =)

I'm an author myself in my spare time...very amateur. I hate all my work about a fortnight, I swear. D=
0kami
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 am Reply with quote
I sent my short story to Michael (I know he has an accent over the e, but I'm not sure what alt combonation I need to input Razz ) After I get back from him, I'll post it here. Though, I do have a very, very HUGE paranoia with plaegerism. I've heard some awful horror stories before, and I just want to make sure everything is safe before I go ahead with anything.

Also, just to clarify: the short piece I sent off has nothing to with "8", rather, it's just to show if it's what their looking for. Just for the sake of demonstrating my abilities (if they are on par at all Confused ).
Michael
Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote
0kami wrote:
Though, I do have a very, very HUGE paranoia with plaegerism.

Don't.
If they copy, let them. If you're good enough, you'll always be one step ahead of them anyway.
I'd say: publish as much as you can. And the internet is a great medium for that. If they copy your work, you have left a mark on the world. It's something to be proud of.
0ld Man Michael wrote:
Back in my day, when I was a young kid writing poetry and short stories, w didn't have the internet!

As you might be able to tell from her forum posts, Wildbluesun is quite an eloquent writer. Her reading might be helpful.

We have received your story. We'll need to make some time to read it.
Meanwhile I suggest you allow other people here read it too. (feel free to start your own thread)

And don't worry about the umlaut on the e of my name. I often skip it too. I wouldn't even know how to type it on a Qwerty keyboard.
0kami
Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:38 pm Reply with quote
I'll try and post it later tonight. My finals exams are making my life difficult at the moment.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Aww, thank you. =)
0kami
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:33 am Reply with quote
I've also been anxiously awaiting a reply to hear how my story went over. I've been doing a lot of projects lately, and it's sort of my critique period at the moment. I eagerly await a response.
Michael
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quote
You'll get it after the weekend. Smile
0kami
Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the time, Michael Smile , I'm sure you must be really busy, especially with The Path and all.
Patlom
Posted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:

If they copy, let them. If you're good enough, you'll always be one step ahead of them anyway.
I'd say: publish as much as you can. And the internet is a great medium for that. If they copy your work, you have left a mark on the world. It's something to be proud of.

I really like your sentences above. It make me feel more confident when I post my idea to web-boards. And it is true that even someone copy my work, It is even make my brain working more and I'm always having new ideas.