top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Final Fantasy - in general

Auriea
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:45 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
After years of avoidence I've decided to try and play... not just that, to understand! the series that IS Final Fantasy. There are a couple of reasons for this. Firstly, because I think the games graphically are A Fine Example Of Excellent Taste. Secondly, We were recently at a game show and I saw a Japanese import version of FFX-2 and was truly impressed at how ithe gameplay was so very different from the many other 3d games on show. Suddenly, in that moment of button mashing (as i couldn't understand the language at all) the idea of a "Battle Engine"made perfect sense. I think it takes the FIGHT out of the fiight. It seems to abstract the fight to such an ectreme degree that it becomes merely an aesthetic event. Which is not to say there are not moments of tension. I am still annoyed that you will be walking around, enjoying the scenery and then suddenly the game takes you out of this immersive illusion its created and deposites you, quite abruptly, in an arena. I am still annoyed that the FF games have all these extremely difficult to understand interfaces and selection screens.
BUT
This is what I am hoping to research, how to really play these games. I know I am attracted to them. There are things about them that I like alot... i am just not sure the gameplay is one of them.
will have to wait and see.

For the purposes of this research, I have chosen to play a demo version of Final Fantasy VIII for the pc as this is the most expedient thing (just download, install and play) and also, I am not ready to invest in the series as I am not even sure how long this idea will hold my interest Wink

anyway, join me (for as long as i decide to keep this thread alive.) in the wonderful world of FF.

Last edited by Auriea on Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:50 am; edited 3 times in total
Auriea
Posted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:46 am Reply with quote
first thing i needed was a way to understand all the jargon used in the game.
I don't know my GF from my ST and thats the truth.
http://www.eyesonff.com/ff8/ency/foreward.shtml
rinku
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
This was posted 4 years ago, how did this go?

I like (or should I say liked -- when I was a younger person) the Final Fantasy series a great deal. I still play the newer ones like FF12 out of nostalgia for the series but I don't think anyone can get into RPGs today without having been into them in the 80s (and the same goes for most genres).

Japanese-style RPGs in particular sort of like a soap opera: you can't just jump into a soap opera, it's too difficult unless you started watching it when it started.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Auriea
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
i gave it up. i will try it again sometime though.
i imagine you're right about the difficulty about coming into it this late.
rinku
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
Read this at least: http://project-apollo.net/text/rpg.html

Those really are true of most RPGs!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Anduin
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:28 am Reply with quote
Ahaha. Very Happy Reminds me of the Evil Overlord List.
Virgilius
Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:31 am Reply with quote
'scuse me, but what does "rampant kleptomania" have to do with The List?