top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  No funding for Phase 3

Lyrak
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
Bunnisteffi wrote:
Maybe ones that have detachable parts and be exchanged for other pelts/antlers.

Mr Potato Head meets TEF! XD

If it's a plastic deer with removable parts, can we store things in its butt too? *giggles*

You don't see Mr Potatoheads around much anymore. I remember having so much fun with those. lol
Wildbluesun
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
We have crisps called Potatoheads, though!

They're the only ones my cousin can eat because chemicals and things rot her brain and turn her hyper. A whole packet of Wotsits could overload her brain and kill her.
Stehuaa
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Mar 2007 Posts: 431 Location: Sticking my nose in after a long time away...and feeling old
For a good while now, I've toyed with the idea of doing commissioned pictogram charms, and donating the profits to Tale of Tales. My original idea was to use precious metal clay to make simply the pictograms themselves; but that would not work so well because so many pictos are composed of unconnected parts. Instead, I'm now sketching out a sort of faux-stone tablet with the pictogram in relief. Depending on how big they turn out, the picto might be set between a pair of antlers. *scribbles madly to make post-worthy examples*
Lyrak
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:36 am Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Jul 2007 Posts: 1139 Location: Some Ohio Cornfield
Stehuaa wrote:
For a good while now, I've toyed with the idea of doing commissioned pictogram charms, and donating the profits to Tale of Tales. My original idea was to use precious metal clay to make simply the pictograms themselves; but that would not work so well because so many pictos are composed of unconnected parts. Instead, I'm now sketching out a sort of faux-stone tablet with the pictogram in relief. Depending on how big they turn out, the picto might be set between a pair of antlers. *scribbles madly to make post-worthy examples*

Ooh. Maybe you could do both styles, just explain that for the first kind, your pictogram HAS to be completely connected.
Michael
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Post pictures!!

(thanks for the links to the plush toy companies)
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Bunnisteffi wrote:
Merchandise! I would love a deer/fawn plushie! With special pelts and antlers and stuff.

That's a great idea! I would really love to do this.
If anyone knows of a place where we could have these made, please let us know.

Bunnisteffi wrote:
Or maybe special-order Picto keychains? I think a couple of people here would like their Pictos on keychains etc.

I have a badge with my pictogram. But we never got around to organising this for the players.

Bunnisteffi wrote:
However, if it's for the community, I wouldn't mind putting out some money, because it is more fun to share things with others rather than to just get things for yourself,

Soon you will have your chance. We're making a list. Make sure your favourite feature is on it!

Bunnisteffi wrote:
HPerhaps I'll go make a Picto-keychain for myself. With wire or something...

Post pictures if you do!
Maybe you can start a little business... Wink

The Picto-keychain? I'm working on it. Trying two variations.

One: It's tablet-style. The base is made of paper-clay. I'm planning to paint it brown-woodish or grey-rockish, and press in my Picto.Then I'll push through a whole near the top and string it.

Two: I got a couple of twigs, and glued them side-to-side. Painting my Picto onto the twigs, when the glue dries, in gold.

As you may infer, I'm going for the woodland-ish theme, since the Endless Forest is so foresty. I'm not sure whether I can make nice keychains, though, but I shall still post the pictures here when I'm done. Smile

Bunnisteffi
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Moogie wrote:
These people look like pretty skilled manufacturers of lifelike plushes and other toys.

http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/series-stuffed-animals.htm

They do apparently do custom creations - click on "Place a Special Order" and you'll see it says "This order form may be used for custom-made stuffed animals".

But I don't know if they work in bulk, or how long it takes, or how much it costs...

Still, if these people were commissioned to make *my* deer, I'd pay whatever's on the pricetag for it. xD

Or, you could go with the Chinese sweatsh-- ...er, I mean, Perfectly Upstanding Company. Smile

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/guotaitoy/product-list/catalog-1.html

They look pretty promising, the stuffed-animals from the first page. I especially like the Hansa kind. THere's already 1 fawn in the list, but if I am buying a Endless Forest plushie, I would get one that is unique to the 'magic' deer in the Endless Forest, which is with the humanoid face, and maybe some masks. Razz

The Tapir site has this on its page-bottoms:
Your purchase of
stuffed animals, plastic animals,
and other toys and gifts from
Tapir and Friends Wildlife World
helps preserve endangered species
and their habitats

Isn't that good? It the Endless Forest associated with any animal causes/zoos? Like, for endangered deer? Because people, by joinging the Endless Forest, would be very much awed by how beautiful the deer on here have been 'done', and would want to save the endangered ones, too.

Stehuaa wrote:

Instead, I'm now sketching out a sort of faux-stone tablet with the pictogram in relief. Depending on how big they turn out, the picto might be set between a pair of antlers. *scribbles madly to make post-worthy examples*

Cool! My tablet idea and yours are very similar! And I hadn't even seen your post when I just started on my Picto-tablets. I have another idea, too; I can twist/crochet/braid wire (maybe with beads) into the Picto outlines. If I could find my wire (thin kind), I would have been doing that. Sad

Just wondering: What are 'precious metal clays'? Are the clays containing powdered metals like gold/silver/iron dust? It sounds rather sparkly...

Bunnisteffi
Stehuaa
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 06 Mar 2007 Posts: 431 Location: Sticking my nose in after a long time away...and feeling old
Bunnisteffi wrote:

Just wondering: What are 'precious metal clays'? Are the clays containing powdered metals like gold/silver/iron dust? It sounds rather sparkly...

Bunnisteffi

That's pretty much it, metal powder in a clay-like binder. When it's fired, the binder burns off and just leaves the metal behind. I haven't had the chance to work with it yet, but it sounds very neat...and sparkly! Very Happy
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Stehuaa wrote:
Bunnisteffi wrote:

Bunnisteffi

That's pretty much it, metal powder in a clay-like binder. When it's fired, the binder burns off and just leaves the metal behind. I haven't had the chance to work with it yet, but it sounds very neat...and sparkly! Very Happy

Awesome... Is it possible to get it from normal craft stores like... Spotlight? (There are several from Down Under and one in Singapore) But I don't even have a firing oven, so I guess it's pointless getting it.

Though I hope that you can make a Picto-charm out of it. Maybe a very thin wire, of a different metal from the main Picto, to connect the different componants? That could solve that problem.

I've more or less made the main body of my tablet-Picto. Paintin' it tomorrow.

Bunnisteffi Smile
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
You could make it by joining all the bits with a thin chain...
Kalira
Posted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 29 Aug 2007 Posts: 264 Location: munching on flowers
Quote:

I just had the strangest image of a pictogram windchime. Shocked
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:

Chain? That would be nice, but I would have to be really fine, or it won't look very nice. If not, it would look, like Kalira has said, like a windchime. Adding bells would make it even more Chime-ish. Razz

I've painted my tablet already, but I'm going to do any layer of paint, before I picture it.

Bunnisteffi
Moogie
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
You still could use the original wire idea, but then use some kind of coloured/painted material stuck on to the parts that matter. The wire would just form part of the frame and not really be noticable. I've seen similar ornaments before, it doesn't look bad. Smile

Terrible example, but I can't find anything better atm: http://www.kitsinthebag.com/images/product/khc004.jpg
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote
Moogie wrote:
You still could use the original wire idea, but then use some kind of coloured/painted material stuck on to the parts that matter. The wire would just form part of the frame and not really be noticable. I've seen similar ornaments before, it doesn't look bad. Smile

Terrible example, but I can't find anything better atm: http://www.kitsinthebag.com/images/product/khc004.jpg

Uh. Uh, well. It would have looked better if the person had just stuck the entire thing onto black card.

Bunnisteffi
Michael
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Wouldn't it be good to dicuss this in a different thread? Other people might be interested as well and they may not look in this one.

Looking forward to seeing some results of all this creativity! Very Happy