top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  No funding for Phase 3

Danica Frost
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
hey i already have 1 friend!!! (besides tom and myself, stupid tom! lol) yay me!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wildbluesun
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Looks good so far. =) Particularly like the "Contacting The Endless Forest"...if I used MySpace I'm sure I'd understand it more. Wink

Bit more info on the Forest, maybe?

You've been bookmarked.
Danica Frost
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
i just added all of the info from forest's home page and some other things i compiled together and now its sorta up and running, all i have to do is stop being angry at the font, its not the fonts fault, lol, while i try to fix this font delema, it would be awesome if everyone who has a really good screen shot to email it to me, Punkprincess2401@yahoo.com so i can put some nice screen shots up in the pictures (ill probably resize them first, for the dial-up users to load quicker, lol) and then ill fiddle around with the page some more, lol, anyway, you can also e-mail what u like and dont like about the page and tell me what u would like to see and ill take what u say into consideration, lol, anyway, got to get back to the text and be angry at it some more, lol
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Danica Frost
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:26 pm Reply with quote
alright, i've attcked the font head first and so far thus finished that. and now im off looking for some substance for the site, information in the right places and such, now that it has its looks it needs its organization. lol. so now all i need is to pile up myspace friends, im going to go onto my other myspace and invie them all. (they might be interested in the program, then their friends see it, then their friends see it, and so on. Anyway i have to get this all started! here we go. and if u would like to look, here is my myspace to add to the collection, and if u want to contact me personally here is the place to do it. (my yahoo and the endless forest myspace are for this place and to help out. but if you want a friend) here you go, www.myspace.com/danicasothersoul

~danica~
Michael
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I had some trouble finding the Add button Wink but I pressed it. Smile

If you need screenshots, there's plenty on Flickr.

The font is much better!
Michael
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Idea Please continue the MySpace discussion in a specific thread. Arrow
Redkora
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
OK, I played around on my old blog (it seemed like a good idea at the time...) and figured out how to become a community. *jass hands*

From Dashboard, click on the blog you want to become a community blog, go to "settings" at the top, then "members" at the far right, and the big orange "add team members" thing at the bottom.

Suggestion for the blog...

Assuming they'll be several different contributors, each contributor could have a day(s) to post, creating a daily blog without too much extra commitment for any one person. Each person could have a different role; from posting screenshots to telling stories about their own experiences to cataloguing fanart. Although that may be overly limiting...perhaps using roles as guidelines rather than rules?

And Dancia Frost! Where's the link to that MySpace?

In order to add people as authors, I have to have people's e-mail addresses to invite people to write for it. If anyone is interested and wants to go through the trouble of making a blogger account (or already has one), PM me with your e-mail. I will not spam you.
Michael
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Idea Please continue the discussion of the community blog in its own thread. Arrow
justinforasec
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:19 am Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, Juutje. Often these funding opportunities are tied to countries and nationalities. But we'll have a look. Perhaps we can partner up with a Dutch company.

Thank you, Mooncalf. It's is completely impredictable if a letter like that would do anything. But in my experience, networking is always good, no matter where or when. These things seldom bring direct results, but sometimes after several years, something good turns up thanks to some connection that may have seemed totally random at first.

Hang on to your money, Anduin. We may add some things to the Forest soon that you can pay for. We're going to keep registration free but we may add optional goodies. That's going to more fun to pay for than donations. Smile
(of course, we may give currently active players and posters a head start Wink )

hey michael, I know yall really need money but please try to stay away from optional buying things for as long as possible, i've been on alot of community sites with some going all pay, some going just optional stuff but either way they both turn out to be basicaly the same thing. in all pay sites people who can't afford it can't play at all, and in optional pay they might as well not be playing because the free eperience has been so down graded, almost ignored except for essential updates. besides these bad points for the users, I'm affraid it would drive down your attendance as well and then funding might follow. so please think bout that stuff Sad

-justin
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
We are aware of this, Justin. And thanks to those bad examples, we know what not to do. As for arts funding, I think we would only really lose the chance of gettting it if the game were commercially succcesful.

But we have no plans of relying on The Endless Forest as a real source of income. So it will never become extremely commercial. We see selling items as a way for the players to stimulate the development of the game. All the money that comes in through those sales, will be put in the development of The Endless Forest. It would be nice if the players and authors could create a little ecosystem together that doesn't require any third parties.
Jen
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:45 am Reply with quote
I agree with the idea of purchasing items that go in to the forest, not just for yourself. Even though you won't get any personal things/items, you will better the environment and help fund new ideas!
Like the waterfall idea you stated earlier, when the monetary goal is reached, an item/thing will be created and placed in to the forest. What ever that thing may be depends on what you feel on creating. ;D The users contribute to the forest, not just to better themselves only.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
That's my favourite idea, too. *nod*
Bunnisteffi
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote
Jen wrote:
I am brand new to this site (I joined yesterday) and I am already madly addicted. I'm sad to here of this, and I have been trying to think of ways to help all day long.

I have one thought, maybe create merchandise? I know it costs money to create and it's a lot of work, so that's the reason I thought I shouldn't post it at all, but even if you made some stuff with cafepress.com or something, I'm sure some people would buy. Honestly, I'd love to have a 'The Endless Forest' bag, or pin. Smile

Other than that, I am surely going to try to donate. I love this game, thank you so much for all your hard work.

Merchandise! I would love a deer/fawn plushie! With special pelts and antlers and stuff. Maybe ones that have detachable parts and be exchanged for other pelts/antlers. Or maybe special-order Picto keychains? I think a couple of people here would like their Pictos on keychains etc.

'Purchasing items that go into the forest'... that sounds a bit litke Neopets, doesn't it? You buy real plushies, and get codes to key into the game for new items. However, if it's for the community, I wouldn't mind putting out some money, because it is more fun to share things with others rather than to just get things for yourself,

Perhaps I'll go make a Picto-keychain for myself. With wire or something...

*trots off to think about it in the Old Oak*

Bunnisteffi
Michael
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:41 am Reply with quote
Bunnisteffi wrote:
Merchandise! I would love a deer/fawn plushie! With special pelts and antlers and stuff.

That's a great idea! I would really love to do this.
If anyone knows of a place where we could have these made, please let us know.

Bunnisteffi wrote:
Or maybe special-order Picto keychains? I think a couple of people here would like their Pictos on keychains etc.

I have a badge with my pictogram. But we never got around to organising this for the players.

Bunnisteffi wrote:
However, if it's for the community, I wouldn't mind putting out some money, because it is more fun to share things with others rather than to just get things for yourself,

Soon you will have your chance. We're making a list. Make sure your favourite feature is on it!

Bunnisteffi wrote:
HPerhaps I'll go make a Picto-keychain for myself. With wire or something...

Post pictures if you do!
Maybe you can start a little business... Wink
Moogie
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:34 pm Reply with quote
These people look like pretty skilled manufacturers of lifelike plushes and other toys.

http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/series-stuffed-animals.htm

They do apparently do custom creations - click on "Place a Special Order" and you'll see it says "This order form may be used for custom-made stuffed animals".

But I don't know if they work in bulk, or how long it takes, or how much it costs...

Still, if these people were commissioned to make *my* deer, I'd pay whatever's on the pricetag for it. xD

Or, you could go with the Chinese sweatsh-- ...er, I mean, Perfectly Upstanding Company. Smile

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/guotaitoy/product-list/catalog-1.html