top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  No funding for Phase 3

Michael
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
It's not another 8. The Endless Forest is alive and well. Online and being played. It's not because the project is continuously being further developed, that the current version is not finished.

I think there are some people in the Tate Modern who know about us. From when we were internet artists (Entropy8Zuper!). But just writing them out of the blue probably won't mean much to them. You need to have person-to-person conversations for these things.

The problem with museums is often that they don't care much about media art, have no production budgets for it, least of all for software that is distributed to everyone rather than rarified on the museum walls.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
The Tate has some mini-cinema things...and it's doing Carsten Holler's Test Site at the moment...whee that was fun...

...I don't think anyone would respect a 14 year old in face-to-face meetings. At least when I'm writing I can make myself sound older than I really am.
Teign
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
My home, Berkshire County, is also home to the largest contemporary art museum in the United States, and maybe the world: MassMOCA, the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art. There's a huge interest in the Berkshires right now with combining technology, tourism, and the arts. There are very few rural areas in America that can boast of the artistic heritage that we enjoy here.

The upshot is, MassMoca is interested in funding, supporting, and sharing art with a technological bent. If you contact them, perhaps good things could happen.

MassMOCA website wrote:
Description
MASS MoCA is the largest center for contemporary arts in the United States. The institution is dedicated to the creation and presentation of provocative visual and performing arts pieces, and of works that blur conventional distinctions between artistic disciplines. In addition, MASS MoCA functions as a laboratory for the contemporary arts, fostering experimentation by artists, encouraging collaborations among institutions, and allowing visitors a behind-the-scenes look at the creative process.

Opening Date: May 30, 1999

Campus
MASS MoCA is housed on a 13-acre campus of renovated 19th-century factory buildings in North Adams, Massachusetts. The complex occupies nearly one-third of the downtown business district.

By coupling the versatility and size of its spaces with the latest digital, fiber optic, and new media technologies, MASS MoCA is able to present and catalyze the creation of works that can be shown nowhere else in the world. These facilities serve as a testing ground to expand and redefine the nature of contemporary art.

Facilities include:
• 19 light-filled galleries with more than 100,000 square feet of exhibition space, including a single gallery as long as a football field.
• 10,000-square-foot black box theatre with a clear-span 30-foot ceiling, which can accommodate up to 850 seats.
• 3,500 square foot lab theater.
• Outdoor cinema with a 50-foot-wide movie screen and a 70 mm projector.
• Two performance courtyards, one of which spans 22,500 square feet.
• Workshop and art fabrication facilities.
• 5,000 square feet of rehearsal and production support space.
60,000 square feet of office and retail space for commercial tenants in the communications, high tech, and new media industries.

Project Cost
$31.4 million (including $3 million in contributed real estate and $4 million in environmental engineering and feasibility studies)

Project Funding
$22 million construction grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
$9.4 million in private funds for construction support.

Institutional Funding
$5.6 million in private contributions for programming and start-up. Programming and general operating costs will continue to be supported by admissions revenue and fund-raising initiatives.

They have a permanent exhibition of artistic computer games, by the way. Smile

The website is: http://www.massmoca.org

I hope this is helpful. Smile
Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Thank you! We'll have a look at it.
(we're actually trying to get out of the art "ghetto", but if they happen to like us...)
Teign
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
I'm just being greedy: I want to experience my first Abiogenesis on a 50-foot-wide movie screen on a warm summer night under the stars... with live music and dancing.

Razz

Good luck, Michael, whether you stay in the "art ghetto" (lol), or jump into the commercial one both feet first. We'll be cheering from the sidelines. Smile
thejackbull
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:03 am Reply with quote
kibbles wrote:
Donations? Unless you already have a donation button and aren't, like, getting enough. Dang.

To help encourage donations, how about coming up with something such as ' those who donate certain amounts, receive special pelt colors in the game, or special antler designs. ect? '

Might get more donations.
Auriea
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 454 Location: at your fingertips
this is part of what we will do... very soon Smile
Nyx
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I've only just discovered this wonderful place so I am saddened to hear of this situation. I truly hope you are able to find the funding you need. In a short time, I've decided though that if it came down to charging to play the game, this game I would gladly give money for.
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:52 pm Reply with quote
We'll find a way.

Thanks for the support.
Jen
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I am brand new to this site (I joined yesterday) and I am already madly addicted. I'm sad to here of this, and I have been trying to think of ways to help all day long.

I have one thought, maybe create merchandise? I know it costs money to create and it's a lot of work, so that's the reason I thought I shouldn't post it at all, but even if you made some stuff with cafepress.com or something, I'm sure some people would buy. Honestly, I'd love to have a 'The Endless Forest' bag, or pin. Smile

Other than that, I am surely going to try to donate. I love this game, thank you so much for all your hard work.
Michael
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Yes yes. We want to make merchandize. We've already set up a few items at cafepress but we want to see the quality first before we make it public! Tomorrow, probably.
Jen
Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful! I can't wait!
Michael
Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:13 am Reply with quote
Sorry. The prints on the T-shirts were not very nice. We'll find a better place.
Nausicaa
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ever think about going to say, Sony with this idea? Having it as a online game on PS3 would be great.
Michael
Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Nausicaa wrote:
Ever think about going to say, Sony with this idea? Having it as a online game on PS3 would be great.

We think about such things all the time. Wink But Sony is a very large corporation that likes to work with other large corporations... They have to want it to. If they make a step towards small developers, we will make a step towards them.

Now, the best way to convince them is to show them a really really succesful game. And this is where you can help by spreading the word: talk about The Endless Forest to your friends, put the banners on your homepage, post about it in other forums, etc.