top_image

<  Endless Forest News  ~  No funding for Phase 3

Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
The Flemish Audiovisual Fund has refused to fund Phase 3 of The Endless Forest. Crying or Very sad
The decision was based on negative advice from a commission consisting of Alok Nandi, Elke Van Campenhout, Rob Van Kranenburg, Joannes Van Heddegem, Guy Bovyn and Jan Schuijren.

Phase 3 was to include an essential technical upgrade and a brand new community website. Without these the project can not continue.

Any suggestions for other sources of funding are welcome.
kibbles
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Donations? Unless you already have a donation button and aren't, like, getting enough. Dang.
Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:47 pm Reply with quote
We already have a donations button. But it's just there for moral support. Developing The Endless Forest is expensive...
Anduin
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:05 am Reply with quote
Geez, that's really depressing to hear. Crying or Very sad I suppose hunting those people down and crying in their face wouldn't help, but I'd totally be willing to do so. Sad

I think I'm going to start saving my money to make donation(s) if I can. I know it's not much (especially since I'm just a poor college student), but I've been meaning to for a while now. Again, sorry those stuffies refused you....
Mooncalf
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote
I'd rob a bank for you but, y'know, illegal *wrings wrists at this topsy-turvy world.*

I think the only thing average users can do, beyond clicking that lil' donate button, is to spread the word, to other users, but more importantly to arts funds and organisations, get them aware of what's happening here, in the hope that word might reach someone in the right circles brilliant enough to help..

I'm just a random person, Michael, but do you think me writing to my local Art museum curator to clue them in on TEF might have some small perhaps positive effect?
Juutje
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:39 pm Reply with quote
With my internship I had to apply for funds as well. I know two sources that would maybe help you (they are all about the Creative Industry), but you should probably make a proposition to them that would include the province of Limburg or the city of Maastricht. If you come up with a plan that would involve the city, I think they would maybe take your proposition into consideration.

Just check them out:
http://www.oranjefonds.nl
http://www.liof.nl

If I come across something else, I will ask around, then I will tell you.
Michael
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions, Juutje. Often these funding opportunities are tied to countries and nationalities. But we'll have a look. Perhaps we can partner up with a Dutch company.

Thank you, Mooncalf. It's is completely impredictable if a letter like that would do anything. But in my experience, networking is always good, no matter where or when. These things seldom bring direct results, but sometimes after several years, something good turns up thanks to some connection that may have seemed totally random at first.

Hang on to your money, Anduin. We may add some things to the Forest soon that you can pay for. We're going to keep registration free but we may add optional goodies. That's going to more fun to pay for than donations. Smile
(of course, we may give currently active players and posters a head start Wink )
Demayetay Taheris
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:57 am Reply with quote
Is there any way we, the players, can help out with the development? Sorry for being uninformed, but what needs funding when creating a game (aside from the web hosting)? couldn't we all just pitch in a little in the actual creation of the thing? It would be so sad to see this amazing thing stop moving.... Crying or Very sad
Michael
Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
The problem with other people helping with the development is management. Often it is easier for us to do something ourselves than to instruct and evaluate somebody else's work. Easier and faster. This is why we work with such a small team of very professional people.

And as for what needs funding, how about food and shelter?... Confused
The cost of web hosting is trivial. In fact, the server is hosted by the Musée d'Art Moderne Grand Duc Jean for free! (The Endless Forest is part of their collection)
But developing The Endess Forest is a lot of work. It's not something you can do on the side, next to your day job. It's a full time occupation when we're working on a phase (16 hours a day...). So while we're doing that, the rent needs to be paid, the kids need to be fed, etc. Of all the people who work on the project, not just Auriea and I.
That is where most of the development budget goes: people.
opale12
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
im not an expert in MMORPG or video games but... make a game cannot cost SOOO much...

Can it Question
Anduin
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:49 am Reply with quote
You're right, you're not an expert on making video games.... Razz
Moogie
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote
Bummed to hear this, Michael! Sad I can't offer any sources or suggestions... the best I can do is wish you good luck in your search. The Endless Forest is so very special, we mustn't let it end on the whims of a bunch of heartless suit-wearing norms.
Michael
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:38 am Reply with quote
The worst part is that the people who made the decision are not the typical suit-wearing idiots at all. They are in fact experts when it comes to fine arts or new media art. They are all curators and consultants who should know better. The problem is that they didn't consider the technical upgrade and the community web site to be artistic enough. And I agree. But the project cannot continue without these things. They are the basis for further development (that will be artistic). I think they are a bit clueless when it comes to technology and online communities. That's the problem.
Teign
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad

I'm sorry to hear they denied the funding for Phase 3, Michael. It's a shame they couldn't look farther than the current technical plans... it's so important to have the right structure underneath any new media art, especially one as complex as TEF.

It's only a temporary setback - the Forest is a special "place", and you deserve the opportunity to see your vision through. Are there other types of grants that might be suitable? Social Research grants or somesuch? If not, there's always the possibility of biting the bullet and drawing up a business plan... if you don't have one waiting in the wings already.

If you are going to start in a commercial direction, I think TEF would make a wonderful partner with Skotos tech ( http://skotos.net ). They have a lineup of casual and story-oriented games created in house, by their players, and through licensing with outside game companies ( such as Lyra Studios - http://www.lyrastudios.com/page.php?page=company_history ). Sometimes, the little guys have to band together.

I know it won't be much help, but I'll be sure to hit the "donate" button next payday. Smile
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
When I saw this I thought "HELP ANOTHER 8 WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE"...what's so irritating is that I can't really begrudge the people who made this decision, as I'm fairly sure the funding went to some other equally worthy cause.

Do you think writing to the Tate Modern would be any good?