top_image

<  News & gossip  ~  War & games

Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:02 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Lately every time I go to a games site, I think I mistakenly ended up at CNN!... It's all pictures of soldiers and warfare. It's disgusting. And don't tell me it's just games: there are more and more recruitment ads for the US army on several games sites. It's sick!
Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:04 am Reply with quote

There was even a real military presence at E3!

And then they blame computer games for violent behaviour...
Harlequinn
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote
ick, i know. i hate army games. my brother plays some of them and i myself have indulged in a round or two, and its pretty boring. if they like the games so much, then why don't they just join the army, they wouldnt like then. gosh, and the people who play them are just annoying. if they dont get to kill something, its not good. AAGH! Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote
I have enjoyed my share of killing in games as well. The thing that I dislike most is the military style, though. When they start telling me what to do with their stupid authoritarian voices. Grrrr. The minute I hear one of them say "Go! Go! Go!" I shut down the game and uninstall it.

That being said, I wouldn't encourage the player to join an actual army. As long as they kill virtual people, at least the damage is contained. Real armies do real damage. Bad, very bad.
Juutje
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm doing a course about media & war right now and the games that portray war are in some way a form of propaganda for the army, while America's Army IS actually a form of propaganda, I know... It's sad...

But what I do love about war-games is the multiplayer option (and I don't mean online, because those people are too good to be playing with and they take it too serious). I sometime play Battlefield 1942 with friends, that is so much fun. To team up with friends and destroy the enemy, to find a good strategy and communicate. That's the fun of the games, but you don't get that in single player mode or multiplayer online, at least I don't. I like Red Alert a lot too, it's my favorite for multiplayer.
Harlequinn
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Juutje wrote:

But what I do love about war-games is the multiplayer option (and I don't mean online, because those people are too good to be playing with and they take it too serious). I sometime play Battlefield 1942 with friends, that is so much fun. To team up with friends and destroy the enemy, to find a good strategy and communicate. That's the fun of the games, but you don't get that in single player mode or multiplayer online, at least I don't. I like Red Alert a lot too, it's my favorite for multiplayer.

playing with friends in the same room is fun. you're right, the people online are WAY to serious. i HATE playing games the way there supposed to be played... its fun to make your own little games. like when me and my brother play halo, we rarely kill eachother. we race around that coagulation level with the ghosts, do flips with them over a tank, and take the warthogs into the middle of the level and crash them head on to see which one flies off to the side and does a bunch of flips. but everyone else would prolly say its stupid.... Sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Michael
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Harlequinn wrote:
but everyone else would prolly say its stupid.... Sad Crying or Very sad

They might say so, but I believe that there is actually a far larger group of people on this planet who would find your form of playing more enjoyable than the rules-obsessed hardcore niche style. It's probably a large chunk of the people referred to as non-gamers...
nuts203hi
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 am Reply with quote
I especially like playing around in a game with a friend. It's even more fun when you find a glitch and you play around with it and see if you can get in and out of it within a certain time limit.
Harlequinn
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Michael wrote:
Harlequinn wrote:
but everyone else would prolly say its stupid.... Sad Crying or Very sad

They might say so, but I believe that there is actually a far larger group of people on this planet who would find your form of playing more enjoyable than the rules-obsessed hardcore niche style. It's probably a large chunk of the people referred to as non-gamers...

hmmm, i never thought about that, now i'm happy Smile
Anduin
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:32 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to note the people who become so offended on some game forums when other people talk various glitches and how to have fun with them. I guess for some people, making Spyro the Dragon swim through the air is uncomrehensible simply because it's "against the rules!" Nevermind that it's as fun as hell! Very Happy
nuts203hi
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahahaha
there are no rules in the RPGs. you just do what you want really

how do you do that? I never found that out when I played it XD
Anduin
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The Spyro thing? It's in the first sequel... err... kind of hard to describe. There's a description here under "Fill Breezwood" and the one beneath it.
nuts203hi
Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:28 am Reply with quote
sweeeeeet
I want to rebuy the game again and use the cheats now haha
LunSei
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
I saw this is a bit of an old topic, but since it is still here, I assume it's still open for more replies?

I just wanted to share my point on view on this subject, whom I find interesting -because I, for one, most of the times happen to DEFEND the violence in videogames. I have nothing against violence in videogames as soon as it is part of the atmosphere: and so, for example, part of the charm of games like "God of War 2" comes from the gruesome ways in which you kill your enemies or even in the chauvinistic, object-like view of women there. It is all to create a specific atmosphere, and not to seriously present real beliefs of views of life (and this is in fact, is to me where the fun of videogames is). I have even played controverisal videogames such as the long-criticized, old "Postal", and I enjoyed them. Why? Because apart from the simplicistic game system and the repetitivity, there was quite some creativity in the game. It was dark, gruesome, disturbing creativity, but nonetheless it showed that the programmers did feel love and care towards their product. And of course, not once I felt that the game was to be forbidden, because not once I felt that the game was really promoting insane people who go on a killing spree: in fact, the game's strength came just in scaring the players themselves not because of the enemies, but because of the protagonist they were called to control! That's originality. (Note: I'm not speaking of "Postal 2" which I don't like at all.)

And yet, of course I also play games like "Endless Forest", because creativity can come from many other things apart from violence or gloomyness.

Needless to say, I love war videogames too -I'm a huge fan of the Command&Conquer saga, for example. War games are just as good as any other, as soon as they don't promote or publicize for real what the game is about. But even in this case, are people so gullible to compare a videogame to real war? Certainly, some of us are. But it's useless to complain: if they weren't influenced by such promotional videogames, they could have been influenced by other hidden promo material.
Michael
Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I think the only real problem with violence in videogames is that there's so much of it. Almost all videogames are violent in some way or other. So much so that many people think that violent conflict resolution is required in a game, or even art in general.

I agree that Postal and probably God of War use violence in a way that pertains to the story. It makes sense. And I object a lot more to games with cartoony violence because they take violence for granted without confronting people with the cruelty and gruesomeness involved.

I also object to military themed games because they teach you to obey the powers that be. And that's just not what art should be doing (propaganda).

But violence in games is seldom a choice for game designers. It's default. Mostly because it is the easiest thing to do, technically. All these tough-boy games are essentially made by people without courage, who choose the easy way out. The people who made Animal Crossing, are the Real Men!

And while you may be right that perhaps only gullible people would be influenced by violence in media, I firmly believe that all this media violence does get us accustomed to real violence. While it may not create aggression in people directly, I believe it does foster a greater tolerance for violence in society. And that is bad.
(I'm not talking about extreme murder sprees but just the everyday casual aggressive behaviour of drunken students, macho police men, graffiti artists, etc)