top_image

<  Forest Design Issues and Ideas  ~  Spectator-mode

Blackfeathr
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:34 am Reply with quote
Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Posts: 949 Location: In the box under your stairs...
I've been rolling this around my head a while, but I think it'd be neat if we had a mode where we can roam around the forest as a "camera" of sorts. Perhaps when your deer falls asleep it'll be like an "astral projection" and you can use the keys to roam around invisibly, stalking other deer (and I see now where this idea will fall on its butt Embarassed ). Then there could be a shortkey where you go back to your body when you're done, like what the CNTRL W key does.

I just think the idea is neat. I had a lot of fun with spectator-mode in (believe it or not) Call of Duty. I wasnt under any pressure to play the game and I could just explore, snickering about the soldier who was about to get ambushed by a guy hiding just out of his view (but not from mine ;D).

At any rate, here you go. >> *falls asleep because it is just too damn late to be up at this hour jabbering away*

[Edit] OH OH! New idea! Maybe the "spectator" wont be invisible, but be some sort of unidentified glowing thing, like a soul..... .. ..... *runs away*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Could be cute.
You can almost do this as a dove or frog...
Liëka
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I've wanted this for a while, actually. Dunno why I didn't say anything, really! ^^; It would be brilliant to explore while the deer sleeps.
Blackfeathr
Posted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Im more leaning toward being 'invisible' so when you come around (rather than as a dove, frog, or soul or whatever) deer dont turn toward you and OMGemote at you. Its sort of finding them in their natural "habitat." could be useful for those deer who think their mates are cheating on them Laughing (jk XD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TwoEars
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote
Oh! Like a "deer dream mode", I'd like that as well. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blackfeathr
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah, kind of astral-projection thing. XD Maybe a semi-transparent ghostlike naked deer can come out of your sleeping deers form and only you can see the ghost deer, while you appear invisible to others.
Scape
Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:35 am Reply with quote
Joined: 15 Feb 2008 Posts: 4154 Location: Sleeping Amongst the Dragonflies
It's not like we don't "spy" when our are asleep anyway. Laughing I kinda like this idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Ymedron
Posted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Or you can hear the sound of the deer, for example the running noise. And when you bellow, it would be a faint howl, kind of giving the forest some more mythical nature. ;3
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I've always liked the idea of having a deer dream mode. ^^

OK, this is a bit out-there, but PERHAPS, when you go to sleep, instead of wandering around as ghost-deer, you get, superimposed on top of the screen, a montage of different images from your time in the Forest. Like the game keeps a few short videos of each play session (err...five seconds for each half hour, from the last 10 or so hours of play?) and they're randomly shown on the screen. Like a real dream.

I think that, in lifestyle time, when you die you should be a ghost and run around, invisible except to other ghosts, casting spells on unsuspecting living deer. That'd be AWESOME.
Michael
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:51 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
Recording video is a very processor-intensive operation (especially when running a game). And it requires a lot of hard disk space. I don't think most players' computers are up to this.

Nice idea, though...
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
Err, just images?
PERHAPS you could get your screenshots superimposed on the top of the screen as you sleep. Like a sort of slideshow, except all over the place not just in the centre, and not in a set order.
ravyn
Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
maybe being in this dream-mode give it some sort of a haze or fuzzy look as if to be really dreaming?
distort stuff a little?

i dunno.

(:
Blackfeathr
Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:

I think that, in lifestyle time, when you die you should be a ghost and run around, invisible except to other ghosts, casting spells on unsuspecting living deer. That'd be AWESOME.

I like that Surprised I remember M+A wanted to add something along the lines of after a year, your deer dies. Now you can either make a new one, or keep playing the "dead" deer (or both :O), which turns into a ghost after death. You can't be seen by the living, but you can be seen by other ghosts. You can't cast on other ghosts, but you can cast on the living, which will confuse/scare the living daylights out of them. XD This feature could be year round, or during halloween... Wink

At any rate, WBS WINS. :3!!!
Grasswhistle
Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
Creepy out-of-body experience = y.
TwoEars
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:59 am Reply with quote
D: I remember a long time ago, about when I first joined, I had so so many ideas for the whole deers passing away thing.

Now I just kinda like it the way it is. If your deer dies, there's a "pressure" introduced into the game that wasn't there before. You know?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address