top_image

<  Game reviews  ~  Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

rinku
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I liked it too. I'm agreeing that it shouldn't be seen as a failure, just as a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lemming
Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 03 Jun 2007 Posts: 25 Location: Somewhere near Sydney
Neato. Very Happy
I can handle that.
Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
I still think that Shadow... is a game that appeals primarily to only one of the genders. And as such, I cannot consider it a mature work of art. As such it's on the same level as football and romance novels.

But I guess since it's a game, there's no need for it to be mature. Smile Boys can indulge their fantasies once in a while (as long as they don't do it around me too much (or they're too old for it...) Wink ).
Lemming
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Now you're just picking and choosing your fantasies. Razz

Maybe if we petition them enough, they'll release a version of SotC where rather than climbing up and stabbing their weak spots, you're climbing up and scratching those hard to reach itches. Heck, I'd love to see them doing a little Harlem Globetrotter's routine with Wander, or petting his horse.

One downside to that is there'd be no appropriate context for the magnificent music used in the battle scenes, or the mournful victory music, making me feel like a prick for toppling this, by all reasonable accounts, innocent bohemeth. (I am truly a sucker for powerful symphonic computer game scores. See Eminence for the perfect game music experience.)

Nope, I'm afraid conflict remains essential to drama and narrative. Emotion is quantum, and the energy release as it collapses from one state to a calmer one, is like a dopaminergic atomic bomb. Without this fact, animals would not reproduce, poets would have nothing to write about, happiness would be a quaint fiction, and all food would taste like brussel sprouts. (Substitute natto or vegemite... or anything else you personally would only eat if it was that or starvation.)

Don't worry if my position seems too biased. I'll be rediscovering the joy of innocent play with my three day old newborn daughter soon enough.

Until then: Katamari Damacy, or Loco Roco (or is it Roco Loco?)
Anduin
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Well... I still like SotC, so there. Razz
rinku
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I agree about it being more gender-specific and less universal than ICO, and that ICO is better. But I think they intentionally did that, to not go bankrupt, I don't think it's that they tried to be universal and create something like ICO again and failed. It was the less risky choice, and I wish they'd chosen otherwise, but I still respect their decision, perhaps they are only doing it for a little more money and prestige for their next game which would be more universal again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Michael
Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Let's hope so! Very Happy
Lemming
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:37 am Reply with quote
I eagerly await their next effort, although I'm scared of what effect the boundless technology will have. ICO and SoTC were just so pretty, despite, and in ways because of the limitations of the hardware.

You know the score. Look no further than such sterile games as Chrome, Far Cry, or just about any game made in the Source engine. They should have been breathtaking (by some technologists standards), but they were boring, or worse, oppressive (which I only enjoy in context Wink ).

Anyhoo, I'm pretty sure I saw another thread on that topic.
Anduin
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:22 am Reply with quote
I've found many of the games praised as beautiful look extremely... sterile, to me- even those whose settings are rough and dirty warzones look odd, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's just because modern games are starting to look more real... can the uncanny valley go for game settings as well, I wonder? Razz
Michael
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Lemming wrote:
or just about any game made in the Source engine

Except for Half Life 2 itself, which looks gorgeous in my opinion. Proving our eternal point that what matters is art direction, not technology.
Michael
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Anduin wrote:
I've found many of the games praised as beautiful look extremely... sterile, to me- even those whose settings are rough and dirty warzones look odd, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Maybe it's just because modern games are starting to look more real... can the uncanny valley go for game settings as well, I wonder? Razz

We call it "shiny". Wink All modern games tend to look shiny.

Also, we don't call it "beautiful", we call it "looking good (TM)" as in "Trade-Marked". There is a certain way in which commercial games are supposed to look that has nothing to do with beauty, or even realism. It just has to look "good (TM)".

See alo: http://tale-of-tales.com/blog/2007/04/23/next-gen-games-are-not-beautiful
Lemming
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Agreed on Half Life 2.
The Sin game made in the Source engine (I think???) didn't do it for me at a cursory glance, and I don't think a cursory glance is an unfair assessment of such games. I saw ICO demo'd at a shop, and was captivated even though I couldn't control it, understand it, or make any progress in it. Once I bought a copy, I overcame that little hurdle.
Lain
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote
*Topic revival buuuump~*

So, I was really almost.. hurt by what Michael was saying because I adore SoTC (along with ICO). And I would never call it gender-specific at all. I'm a girl and love it and know plenty of other girls and boys who enjoy it.

This game is just.. bwah. I'm not too hot with words at the moment. The relationship with Agro and Wander was.. so good. Nothing like calling, "AGRO!" for your faithful companion to run by your side and help you out. And at the end of the game when Agro.. spoilerspoilerspoiler. I was so sad.

Speaking of being sad, the end of the game made me on the verge of tears. Struggling to get to Mono and calling her name.. only for it to be futile. ;_;

Blah, so I am failing with words, but really.. I believe you're being far too harsh in your review, Michael. You almost sound like a whining child about the whole thing. D:
Lemming
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Marry me?
Lemming
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and happy birthday. Very Happy