top_image

<  8  ~  A couple of questions for you guys

TheRider
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Hello Tale of Tales. I have heard of you guys for a while now and thought that I would join in and see what you guys were all about. Truth be told, I read up on you guys on an IndieCade article and more specifically your game 8. So I went over to this site to read up more about it and I found myself completely enamored to your idea on 8 as its original and very unique to say the least. Now I heard Tale of Tales stop working on 8 because of financial problems and thats a real shame as I was looking forward to it. But I do have some questions for you guys that I hope you may take the time to answer as I know you are some busy people. So lets see:

1) How was Tale of Tales formed, and how many people make up the staff?

2) What was the inspiration behind 8? Is it from PC point-and-click adventures? Also how did you guys come up with the kind of graphic style you came up with? How many people are/were working on this game?

3) I read in an article that you may be looking to finish this game, if and when it happens, on the Nintendo Wii console. Is their any truth to that?

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Posts: 4266 Location: London, Land of Tea and Top Hats
I'm going to attempt to answer your questions with my mix of ignorance, bad memory and occasional hard fact. I'm procrastinating a project, shuddup.

1) As far as I know, Michael and Auriea met over the internet, and Auriea moved from the US to Belgium to marry Michael. It's all very sweet. They have a couple of kids you'll occasinally hear mentioned.

It's just those two really, but they do draft others in for various reasons.

2) Inspiration was, quite obviously, taken from Sleeping Beauty, but other than that, no idea. o.0

3) I heard Michael say that's the sort of thing he dreams about. XD Possibly. But Nintendo might be an arse and say no.
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Site Administrator Joined: 07 Jun 2002 Posts: 8065 Location: Gent, Belgium
TheRider wrote:
1) How was Tale of Tales formed, and how many people make up the staff?

Tale of Tales was born out of Entropy8zuper!, a netart and webdesign studio consisting of two people: Auriea Harvey & Michaël Samyn. You can find some more information here

TheRider wrote:
2) What was the inspiration behind 8? Is it from PC point-and-click adventures? Also how did you guys come up with the kind of graphic style you came up with? How many people are/were working on this game?

8 was inpired by many things. But mostly by our desire to make work based on old stories and by seeing a potential in games that wasn't being realized because games tended to be too conventionally games rather than embrace the larger concepts of interactivity and immersion as such.
It was only later that we realized that perhaps there was some vague connection between what we were trying to do and a possible future for adventure games. But truth be told, we tend to dislike adventure games about as much as we dislike any other genre.
The graphic style came from an attempt to develop an aesthetic that was unique to realtime 3D and did to imitate any other aesthetic style (cartoon, photography, etc). We are very much inspired by classical painting. For 8 by the 19th century orientalists in particular. Our graphic style is not about imitation but about making something feel real. As such it's not just a graphic style but an aesthetic in which all elements work together.
In the beginning only Auriea and I worked on it, then later, thanks to some arts funding, we expanded our team with several freelancers. Most notably Lina Kusaite, concept art, Laura Smith, animations, Alex Mouton and Ronald Jones, programming. We also worked with Ringtal Studios and Dragon-Fly Studios for asset creation. The full production would have required a team of 30 people.

TheRider wrote:
3) I read in an article that you may be looking to finish this game, if and when it happens, on the Nintendo Wii console. Is their any truth to that?

We really want to make 8, or at least some game that takes place in the 8 universe. We would like to do this for the Wii console. But so far that is just a dream. We're perfectly happy with a PC release as well.
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote
At the moment, we are completely concentrated on The Path, a spiritual sequal to 8, featuring the same Little Deafmute Girl and also based on a fairy tale, Little Red Ridinghood in this case.
Michael
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Err. Thank you Wildbluesun. That's all correct. Surprised
TheRider
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Wildbluesun and Michael for the responses.

It seems like you guys are really fascinated by fairy tale stories and bringing them to video games. Thats really cool and I like the love story you guys provided, very sweet Smile . I do have a couple of more questions if you don't mind.

1) Now you guys said that The Path is a spiritual sequel to 8, but they are both based off of two different fairy tales, but having them connected by a main character. Is this going to be the overall style you guys are going for, to connect fairy tales with this girl? In other words are you guys connecting these stories with this main character on purpose or did you stumble on that after you found that the idea to connect these stories with a main character like you have makes sense?

2) I remember being said that you wanted 8 to continue to evolve with almost downloadable stories being made available to people. So if possible would you guys make the game a downloadable title or are you guys (if you had the finances) to make the game a full retail title?

3) What attracted you to the Nintendo Wii instead of say trying to put it on the 360 or the PS3?

4) Finally do you know of any other indy developers that are looking to make that jump to Wii with a unique product?

Thanks so much for the responses and right now I am going to start reading up on The Path. Thank you for your time Smile
Wildbluesun
Posted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I know a stalker-ish amount of information about Tale of Tales! Yay!

Fairy tales are amazing. When you say "myths" people think about the Greco-Roman classical stories, but fairy tales are myths too; myths, in my view, are the oldest stories of a civilisation, which would make Grimm and Anderson's famous collections the mythology of Europe. And all stories are based off other stories, at least tangentially - you're influenced by what you hear as a small child. EVERYTHING, from Harry Potter to Jacqueline Wilson (polar opposites in genre), is ultimately based on these stories.
TheRider
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:53 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
I know a stalker-ish amount of information about Tale of Tales! Yay!

Fairy tales are amazing. When you say "myths" people think about the Greco-Roman classical stories, but fairy tales are myths too; myths, in my view, are the oldest stories of a civilisation, which would make Grimm and Anderson's famous collections the mythology of Europe. And all stories are based off other stories, at least tangentially - you're influenced by what you hear as a small child. EVERYTHING, from Harry Potter to Jacqueline Wilson (polar opposites in genre), is ultimately based on these stories.

I have to agree with you there as well as with your point of view on myths. Fairy Tales are a different kind of myth in that their meaning is constant, but how that meaning is said can always change so long as the meaning that fairy tale is trying to convey to the audience remains intact. Myths like in Greco-Roman stories tend to happen in one way and one way only and not much can be changed by that. Fairy tales in that regard have more freedom to exprees their story and I very much like that.
Wildbluesun
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'd disagree with you on that Greco-Roman stories can only be told in one way; everything can be told in different ways. The Odyssey, for example, has been adapted in several different ways (including quite a few feminist ones focusing on his wife). And look at this. It's not exactly telling the tales as using the characters in a new way. Then there's the Percy Jackson books, which take the ingredients of Greek myth and plonk them in 21st century America.

So, yeah. They're more static than most fairy tales, because they require a whole world to function in, while fairy tales generally detail a single sequence of events. But they can be remastered.

Last edited by Wildbluesun on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael
Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
TheRider wrote:
1) Now you guys said that The Path is a spiritual sequel to 8, but they are both based off of two different fairy tales, but having them connected by a main character. Is this going to be the overall style you guys are going for, to connect fairy tales with this girl? In other words are you guys connecting these stories with this main character on purpose or did you stumble on that after you found that the idea to connect these stories with a main character like you have makes sense?

This has always been part of the plan. It's a bit like a comic strip series like Tintin where the same character goes and visits different places. Every "Tale of Tales" will feature the Deafmute Little Girl (at different ages) who "visits" a fairy tale. But the kind of gameplay and atmosphere will be different every time, inspired by the fairy tale.

TheRider wrote:
2) I remember being said that you wanted 8 to continue to evolve with almost downloadable stories being made available to people. So if possible would you guys make the game a downloadable title or are you guys (if you had the finances) to make the game a full retail title?

We have been playing with the idea of releasing the game in episodes, if that is what you mean. I doubt that we will ever find the budget to make it what you call a "full retail title". The reason for this is that it does not contain combat (and that's a literal quote from EA!).

TheRider wrote:
3) What attracted you to the Nintendo Wii instead of say trying to put it on the 360 or the PS3?

The audience for the Wii strikes us as one that might be interested in 8. The 360 seems a bit too hardcore and the PS3 hasn't developed a clear image yet (even though the PS2 is probably still my favourite console).

TheRider wrote:
4) Finally do you know of any other indy developers that are looking to make that jump to Wii with a unique product?

I think this "jump" is becoming smaller every day since all three console makers are actively approaching indie developers for content on their systems. Nowadays this is mostly for downloadable games, but that will grow, I think. Maybe we will even see a revival of independently produced games.
Mayar
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
Joined: 30 Jul 2008 Posts: 1042 Location: On the Forum, adding his Mustard to anything in his interest (no art or anything that may offend me)
Wildbluesun wrote:

3) I heard Michael say that's the sort of thing he dreams about. XD Possibly. But Nintendo might be an arse and say no.

YAY WII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wildbluesun
Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:40 pm Reply with quote
...Oh wow.

I posted on this topic A WHOLE YEAR AGO.
midoriri
Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
So, about your kids...
Have you ever modeled a character after them? (And how do they like the fact that you're killing children in The Path? Wink )
axcho
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:38 am Reply with quote
Wildbluesun wrote:
Wildbluesun, I think you would really enjoy the book A Story as Sharp as a Knife: The Classical Haida Mythtellers and Their World, by Robert Bringhurst. Not only is it an awesome, fascinating, well-written book, it also convinced me that myth is the medium with the most relevance to games, so you might be interested in it from that angle too. And I wrote a review of it that should hopefully convince you to pick it up. Wink

Myths are older than civilization, really. Before writing or agriculture or pyramid-building, people told myths. You might even say that the art mythtelling started to decline as civilization started up.

Wildbluesun wrote:
I'd disagree with you on that Greco-Roman stories can only be told in one way; everything can be told in different ways.
Not only that, but what Bringhurst would argue (as he does in A Story as Sharp as a Knife) is that they must be told in different ways to be fully meaningful.

Wildbluesun wrote:
So, yeah. They're more static than most fairy tales, because they require a whole world to function in, while fairy tales generally detail a single sequence of events. But they can be remastered.
Hmm. This is an interesting way to put it. I guess you might also say that myths collectively construct a world in which their characters and stories function, while fairy tales tend to be more self-contained. I'll have to think about that more.
Miorrowind
Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Joined: 24 May 2008 Posts: 216 Location: Just to the left. No no, the OTHER left.
I would like to disagree that Greco-Roman myths are any more static than European fairy tales. I could see how you think that because people stopped caring about the Greco-Roman myths a long time ago while fairy tales are still alive and well in our culture and still changing with it. But the Greco-Roman mythology also changed and grew with those cultures while the stories were still alive. I've read many different versions of those myths and they changed based on what part of Greece or Rome they were told in, what era, they changed when the religion was brought over from Greece to Rome, and of course there's always the errors in translation. Plus there's the fact that those myths aren't completely dead: there's always the Disney take. Who watched Disney's Hercules? And were you at the point of yelling at the TV that it wasn't Hercules who killed Medusa or rode the Pegasus? Our culture still at least knows about the myths and people only knowing bits and pieces of them changes them too.

All in all: just because you were told the last version of a Greco-Roman myth, the one that was written down and put in a text book, is the only version doesn't make it so. There are older versions, there are regional variations. Just like with European fairy tales.

On a side note: I'd love to learn about Eastern fairy tales. I've never really heard much about them.